Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Will I Vote In The Referendum?

View Poll Results: Will you vote for or against the Voice. Poll choice is NOT public
Yes
40.91%
No
59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Will I Vote In The Referendum?

Old Sep 16th 2023, 6:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I Vote In The Referendum?

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Good question! I think in part because I don’t think the issues have been interrogated enough before voters go to the polls. A longer national conversation could have given proper time to debate the questions, to allow advocates greater time to make the case, even to tease out the ‘why’ differences in the No camps, etc. It has been a very short timeframe from “this is the date of the referendum” to that date.
Ten plus months seems adequate to discuss it. It's not like aboriginal issues are new in Australia. Activists on the Yes side might feel there hasn't been enough time to convince the public of their views, but that's mainly because their views are flawed and break the status quo in favor of a race classes. Far better to have a short, democratic debate and then move on to wider social issues (affecting everyone).
Old Sep 17th 2023, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Ten plus months seems adequate to discuss it. It's not like aboriginal issues are new in Australia. Activists on the Yes side might feel there hasn't been enough time to convince the public of their views, but that's mainly because their views are flawed and break the status quo in favor of a race classes. Far better to have a short, democratic debate and then move on to wider social issues (affecting everyone).
Or just legislate it.

Bringing it to the people to decide in an environment of tough living and negativity was just foolish on Albo's behalf.

If the main aim of the concept was to bridge the gap between the small proportion of indigenous who are disadvantaged and everyone else (which includes indigenous who are not disadvantaged) then it doesn't need average Joe on the street deciding its fate.

What a cock up from Albo.
Old Sep 22nd 2023, 9:45 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Very good explanation of the situation (for us non Aussies) by Helen Dale on Spectator TV. It does sound like the referendum idea was a mistake and after hearing the actual question, I can't help but agree !
Old Sep 23rd 2023, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute

I will be voting NO in the Referendum.

Old Sep 23rd 2023, 8:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IrishDigger

I am Australian - The Seekers
One of my favourite songs. I'll be voting YES.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 23rd 2023 at 9:12 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2023, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute

I am Australian - The Seekers
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
One of my favourite songs. I'll be voting YES.
It does more for me than our national anthem, Advance Australia Fair.
Old Sep 23rd 2023, 10:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It does more for me than our national anthem, Advance Australia Fair.
Same. I'm tired of having to explain 'girt by sea'
Old Sep 24th 2023, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Looks like Sydney has already decided
Old Sep 27th 2023, 12:07 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by scotty9000

Looks like Sydney has already decided
Sky News Australia has already decided ! They're at odds with Sydney.
Old Sep 28th 2023, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It's all getting a bit silly now. Noel Pearson calling out people from all backgrounds living in Australia to reconcile with indigenous Australians. Reconciliation goes both ways and most people aren't asking for reconciliation, and a good proportion of indigenous peoples aren't asking for that either. How can he expect people to support this idea that we have a separation, when most believe we don't and are inclusive of all.

Albo has a lot of explaining to do. He could have done something really good but botched this up completely. People can't pay their bills and he expects them to think about what he is selling as quite simple, but is actually quite a complex issue.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...27-p5e826.html

Last edited by Beoz; Sep 28th 2023 at 12:38 am.
Old Sep 28th 2023, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

Sky News Australia has already decided ! They're at odds with Sydney.
You can decide whether to watch Sky news.
I find the amount of propaganda a bit shocking. But at least there's a free vote buried under it somewhere.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 8:50 pm
Yo

You can decide whether to watch Sky news.
I find the amount of propaganda a bit shocking. But at least there's a free vote buried under it somewhere.
What other channel do you recommend, I'll see if I can find it on YT.

They are certainly one sided on this Voice issue, but I find the politicians they have interviewed convincing. I don't see any reason in "voting for division". Democratic systems are alredy in place, and if the indigenous are not getting enough support/opportunity, that should be rectified through the existing structure.
Old Sep 29th 2023, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

What other channel do you recommend, I'll see if I can find it on YT.

They are certainly one sided on this Voice issue, but I find the politicians they have interviewed convincing. I don't see any reason in "voting for division". Democratic systems are alredy in place, and if the indigenous are not getting enough support/opportunity, that should be rectified through the existing structure.
Sky news aus seems to be a reaction to abc, which I find unwatchable. Similar to gbnews and the bbc in the uk.
The state funded broadcasters have a huge advantage by not having to show or require advertising. Which they are abusing along with ignoring their duty to represent different viewpoints.
I don't watch much tv news. Prefer the papers. Many sources are polarised and dumbed down.
If you watch stuff on yt the algorithm starts to force feed you. I know there is interesting and informed debate out there sometimes. Needs more curation, perhaps ai can provide it or perhaps it will be so subtle in its presentation that it will subvert us all. 😃
Old Sep 30th 2023, 4:07 am
Yo

Sky news aus seems to be a reaction to abc, which I find unwatchable. Similar to gbnews and the bbc in the uk.
The state funded broadcasters have a huge advantage by not having to show or require advertising. Which they are abusing along with ignoring their duty to represent different viewpoints.
I don't watch much tv news. Prefer the papers. Many sources are polarised and dumbed down.
If you watch stuff on yt the algorithm starts to force feed you. I know there is interesting and informed debate out there sometimes. Needs more curation, perhaps ai can provide it or perhaps it will be so subtle in its presentation that it will subvert us all. 😃
The algorithms don't help, do they. I've started to get YouTube Shorts on topics/themes I absolutely don't like fed to me, and I wonder why they are doing that.
Old Oct 1st 2023, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9...616e6b987009d7

This is an article I read today. I think it is rather good. It's not about the voice but it is about racism. And colonialism. And progress.

Last edited by scotty9000; Oct 1st 2023 at 2:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.