Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who's gonna win The Ashes?
Australia
36.62%
England
52.11%
Draw (Australia retain - not win)
11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:15 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It was a classic wasn't it

Not a chance, this one has to be a pommy victory surely
You changed camps?

We were all deceived by the very poor Aussie bowling that gifted us 200 runs in the first innings into believing it was a high scoring pitch.

Once they got their act together they bowled us out for around the 200, which seems like a par score as the Aussies wont get more than that.

Weather forecast says a draw unfortunately.

Had the appeal system been in the Aussies would have appealed Ponting's wicket and won, we would have counter appealed he would have been out.

This hasn't stopped the age whinging of course that the appeal system had it of been in would have saved him, with no mention of the fact that it was plumb lbw.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:22 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
You changed camps?

We were all deceived by the very poor Aussie bowling that gifted us 200 runs in the first innings into believing it was a high scoring pitch.

Once they got their act together they bowled us out for around the 200, which seems like a par score as the Aussies wont get more than that.

Weather forecast says a draw unfortunately.

Had the appeal system been in the Aussies would have appealed Ponting's wicket and won, we would have counter appealed he would have been out.

This hasn't stopped the age whinging of course that the appeal system had it of been in would have saved him, with no mention of the fact that it was plumb lbw.
yeah, loved it when I heard Shane Warne, Greg Matthews and Damien Martyn all saying that he was unlucky??????? "The ball was clearly missing leg stump"
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:09 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
yeah, loved it when I heard Shane Warne, Greg Matthews and Damien Martyn all saying that he was unlucky??????? "The ball was clearly missing leg stump"
I believe "sliding wide" were Warnies words, I thought it was totally tongue in cheek though to be honest.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:37 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I believe "sliding wide" were Warnies words, I thought it was totally tongue in cheek though to be honest.
Yes, I think you're right Warne's comments were aimed to fire up Athers. Not so sure about Matthews' and Martyn's though
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:11 pm

So good I needed to post it twice
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:17 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

pmsl!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:14 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

Poms lead by 210 runs and have chosen to enforce the follow on. A good decision; they'll win it easily now.

*edit*

Whoops, no they haven't! I misread the BBC commentary. Strauss has declined to enforce the follow on! How strange.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 17th 2009 at 11:20 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Poms lead by 210 runs and have chosen to enforce the follow on. A good decision; they'll win it easily now.

No follow on and a bad decision as far as I'm concerned especially with the threat of lost time.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:24 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

No follow on and a bad decision as far as I'm concerned especially with the threat of lost time.
Yeah, I am gobsmacked to say the least.

On the other hand, they can clock up another 400+ and leave themselves with two days to bowl us out, so I don't see any danger of a second draw. Still an odd move by Strauss though.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a fair decision. Strauss knows that Australia are carrying 2 bowlers - Johnson (just be proved again) and Hauritz and therefore have a weakened attack. If England get quick runs - which they aredoing, then Australia will have to bat for 2 days to save the game - not going to happen, unless it's rained off.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:07 am
I'm Old Gregg!

what a pic!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely love it!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:10 am
I'm Old Gregg!

I disagree. I think he has done the right thing here. With rain scheduled for Sunday and Monday (making for good bowling conditions if any play happens) and today being blue skies it is ideal to be batting right now. I say make the most of it being a batsmen's day. The ball was not moving this morning for the England bowlers and I can guarantee that in those conditions there is no way Ponting and Katich would be getting out cheaply again. I think it was the right decision
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:10 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think it's a fair decision. Strauss knows that Australia are carrying 2 bowlers - Johnson (just be proved again) and Hauritz and therefore have a weakened attack. If England get quick runs - which they aredoing, then Australia will have to bat for 2 days to save the game - not going to happen, unless it's rained off.
good point
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:11 am
I'm Old Gregg!

In fact, what I like most about that image is not the pic, more the word in the actual link that is incredibly spot on in its description of Pricky Ponting
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:33 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, disagree. Draw far more likely now. Strauss won't declare until lunch tomorrow at the earliest. That leaves five sessions on a good pitch to get 10 Australian wickets. If rain knocks out one of those sessions then it'll be pretty easy for Australia to save the game.

With the follow on, even if Australia scored five hundred, England would have had three sessions to get 300. Doable, and every run less than 500 that Australia got then the job would be easier and easier for England.

Still let's see what happens. If Strauss really wants to win the game now he needs to get a lead of 500-550 by this evening and declare. Two full days to bowl out the Aussies. He won't do it though. He left the declaration too late twice in the West Indies. He'll probably get it wrong here too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.