Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who's going to win The Ashes?

View Poll Results: Who's gonna win The Ashes?
Australia
36.62%
England
52.11%
Draw (Australia retain - not win)
11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice
Default Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

My wife was at a presentation dinner last year and one of the three guest speakers (An aussie cricketeer from recent bygone years - She did not recall his name (Not a sporting enthusiast my wife). Anyway said cricketeer was sharing anecdotes with the audience. Although all very amusing and some of them hilarious. My wife picked up on the one that struck a nerve. Words to the effect of "We never ever worried about playing the poms, we knew we would always beat them, but we had to breath through our teeth and say it was going to be a close thing to get the press interested!" Ouch!

Ashes 2005 is like Cup 66. Old news. Lets get that killer blow going that we have lacked in most sports for years. Not the " Its the playing, not the winning pish! Why keep the score?"

If you have to waste time to draw a test match great. I'd rather be going into game 2 all even than 1 down. It rattled Ponting.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:59 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Merv Hughes was on the radio this morning agreeing with what England did to waste time - it works both ways.
Ponting is on the edge - he definitely has issues. I think England should target him with some really choice sledging - see if they can push him over the edge. It would be fun to watch!
hope they do try to sledge, there more they try the more runs he will score just to piss them off.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
hope they do try to sledge, there more they try the more runs he will score just to piss them off.
Might do, might not. Definitely worth a try though - I reckon Wankboy is ready to snap.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:21 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Might do, might not. Definitely worth a try though - I reckon Wankboy is ready to snap.
instead of chucking jelly beans I think we should throw betting slips at him
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:23 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
instead of chucking jelly beans I think we should throw betting slips at him
Gary Pratt (substituting for Flintoff) right under his nose at short cover. They'd be fools not to do it.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Great response from DC on Pricky Ponting
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...t-test-tactics
Interesting response. The writer's saying that he agrees that England shouldn't have done it but it's a bigger crime for Ricky to mention it. He may as well come out straight and say he's got a big chip against Ricky and/or Aus
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:27 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Interesting response. The writer's saying that he agrees that England shouldn't have done it but it's a bigger crime for Ricky to mention it. He may as well come out straight and say he's got a big chip against Ricky and/or Aus
do you know who the writer is?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:29 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Duncan Fletcher. Used the age old English method (even though he's Zimbabwean) of building one team to win one event rather than trying to sort out cricket from the ground up. I believe there was a rugby coach who did the same thing for England.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:31 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Burbage
Duncan Fletcher. Used the age old English method (even though he's Zimbabwean) of building one team to win one event rather than trying to sort out cricket from the ground up. I believe there was a rugby coach who did the same thing for England.
it didn't sound as though Martin knew who he was and therefore the relevance and context of his comments
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

No.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:32 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

No.
England Cricket coach for the 05' Ashes winning team. Also the same coach that Ricky Ponting verbal abused and got heavily fined for
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

England Cricket coach for the 05' Ashes winning team. Also the same coach that Ricky Ponting verbal abused and got heavily fined for
So he has a personal gripe. That explains the flavour of the article then.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:35 pm
Demi-God

Never liked Fletcher. He was of the opinion that runs won test matches rather than bowlers. He was (and still is) wrong in my view.

If you have a team of batsmen who are averaging over fifty, is either because you play most of your matches in India, or because your bowlers bowl the oppo out for less than 250 every time.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:37 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

So he has a personal gripe. That explains the flavour of the article then.
The point he is making though is that who is Pricky Ponting to point the finger at playing in the "spirit of the game" when he has a track record like his.

It's like Gary Glitter calling Michael Jackson the scum of the earth and a dirty little kiddy fiddler
Old Jul 15th 2009, 12:38 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Burbage
Never liked Fletcher. He was of the opinion that runs won test matches rather than bowlers. He was (and still is) wrong in my view.

If you have a team of batsmen who are averaging over fifty, is either because you play most of your matches in India, or because your bowlers bowl the oppo out for less than 250 every time.
he was clever enough to employ Troy Cooley though, whose work with our bowlers will never be forgotten

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.