Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who's gonna win The Ashes?
Australia
36.62%
England
52.11%
Draw (Australia retain - not win)
11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

Originally Posted by Burbage
Clark is the best bowler Australia have. But he's getting a bit long in the tooth.
TBH, I don't see any of the young bowlers replacing McGrath. Mitchell Johnson would have been considered the best of the young ones they had prior to this series I guess but his action means he's not going to be consistent IMO. He kinda falls away as he's delivering the ball.

Unless Aus can get a really good bowling line-up, they won't be the all-conquering side people have come to expect. As they found at Cardiff, you won't win a test match unless you can take 20 wickets*.

*Unless Hanse 'Cheating boorstaad' Cronje is captain of the other team.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:29 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Clark is the best bowler Australia have. But he's getting a bit long in the tooth.
yes and no, I think. He's a fantastic economy bowler, but not really a wicket taker and I think the Aussie media are getting a little carried away here. They keep referring back to his wicket haul in the 06/07 Ashes series. But what they are forgetting is that he was bowling in partnership with McGrath then, who was the ultimate economy bowler. So the English batsmen were forced to go after Clark instead, which is why he took so many wickets. If you look at his record since McGrath retired it is certainly not one of a wicket taker. The thing Aus need more than anything right now is a wicket taker and Clark is not that. However what it may do to the line up if Clark joins is free up some of the weight on Johnson. Currently he has 9 wickets, which is still higher than all of the English bowlers bar Anderson, so he is taking wickets there, but he is supposed to be their strike bowler so should be taking more. What is killing Aus right now is the fact that they are conceding very fast runs which is more or less what killed them at Lord's. If Clark comes in to stem those runs, Johnson can focus more on getting wickets and being expensive if he needs to. Currently he is trying to take wickets AND be economical.

I think Aus will drop Siddle in this next test for Lee. If they pick Clark I think it will be at the expense of Johnson. I don't think Lee and Johnson should be in the same team, as they are more or less the same sort of player, neither are economy bowlers
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

From The Spin, a weekly cricket email from The Guardian in the UK:

Australia are 1-0 down, yet they have six centurions to England's one,
five of the six leading run-scorers and four of the five leading
wicket-takers. Yet, as one touring hack put it as the rain came down
on Saturday, the Aussies could regret their failure to take the
wicket of the forgotten Monty Panesar at Cardiff for years to come.
Will they win in rainy Leeds? Will they at The Oval, where they have
won once since 1972? The evidence so far suggests their
self-absorption - on a par currently with England's - could yet leave
Ricky Ponting as the second Australian captain to lose two series in
this country. The previous unfortunate, Billy Murdoch, last skippered
in 1890. It's that bad.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:27 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Generali
would absolutely love it if that happened.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:25 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's supposed to say that they haven't won at the Oval since '72. At least in 2005 the drew and I'm pretty sure England have won a fair few dead rubbers there.

Niggardly, accurate bowlers get wickets. They may not get them themselves, but they create pressure. Australia haven't been able to create any pressure. They need Clark. Particularly at Headingly.

Curtly Ambrose and Glen McGrath dd nothing other than put the ball on the same spot over after over. The batsmen always got themselves out.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

I think that's supposed to say that they haven't won at the Oval since '72. At least in 2005 the drew and I'm pretty sure England have won a fair few dead rubbers there.

Niggardly, accurate bowlers get wickets. They may not get them themselves, but they create pressure. Australia haven't been able to create any pressure. They need Clark. Particularly at Headingly.

Curtly Ambrose and Glen McGrath dd nothing other than put the ball on the same spot over after over. The batsmen always got themselves out.
Glen McGrath always used to say that he wasn't good enough to bowl anything other than the same line and length each time.

I was at The Oval for day 5 in 2005 just behind 3rd man when they were bowling from the Pavillion end, about 3 rows from the front. Warney was fielding there. We got some good banter going with him, ending in a chorus of "We only wish you were English". He got a fair bit of "My old mam's a chemist..." too.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:44 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Glen McGrath always used to say that he wasn't good enough to bowl anything other than the same line and length each time.

I was at The Oval for day 5 in 2005 just behind 3rd man when they were bowling from the Pavillion end, about 3 rows from the front. Warney was fielding there. We got some good banter going with him, ending in a chorus of "We only wish you were English". He got a fair bit of "My old mam's a chemist..." too.
Greatest captain that never was
Old Aug 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

felix1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i hope oz win caus now i am in oz have to go with them
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:17 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by felix1
i hope oz win caus now i am in oz have to go with them
In English please next time you traitor
Old Aug 4th 2009, 2:52 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
In English please next time you traitor

Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:07 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, on to more important matters.

Headingly. the weather looks good but it's been raining for the last couple of days. Win the toss and bowl I reckon.

Freddie doesn't look fit though and England, if they pick him, might bat if they win the toss to give him an extra day of rest. Maybe it would be better if they left him out altogether.

Australia should be a better side with Clark back.

Headingly nearly always gets a result so in five days time England will have either won the Ashes, or will have all to play for at the Oval.

Exciting or what?

The beer's in. the comfy chair is in position. the only fly in the ointment is I'll have to listen to the TV commentary until 9.45.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, on to more important matters.

Headingly. the weather looks good but it's been raining for the last couple of days. Win the toss and bowl I reckon.

Freddie doesn't look fit though and England, if they pick him, might bat if they win the toss to give him an extra day of rest. Maybe it would be better if they left him out altogether.

Australia should be a better side with Clark back.

Headingly nearly always gets a result so in five days time England will have either won the Ashes, or will have all to play for at the Oval.

Exciting or what?

The beer's in. the comfy chair is in position. the only fly in the ointment is I'll have to listen to the TV commentary until 9.45.
Flintoff is out. Come on England! SA's number 1 spot beckons......
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:40 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Flintoff is out. Come on England! SA's number 1 spot beckons......
But only if England wins. If the series is drawn Australia will remain top
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:55 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
But only if England wins. If the series is drawn Australia will remain top
I read in the Age that they have to win the series.

I haven't seen anywhere that Freddie isn't playing yet
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:27 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Latest Skysports reports say Freddy is out. Which to me isn't necessarilly a bad thing in my mind. Sidebottom should do well at Headingly and Freddy was below par at Edgbaston. I think it is best that Freddy keeps himself fit for a potential decider at The Oval

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.