Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who's going to win The Ashes?

View Poll Results: Who's gonna win The Ashes?
Australia
36.62%
England
52.11%
Draw (Australia retain - not win)
11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:02 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
you've shown your lack of memory from the last Ashes series in England Burbage. Cook did not make his debut until India in 06. Besides which, Tresco was better at the time than Cook is now. Collingwood only played the last test (Oval) of the 05' series.
Jones was a much better bowler than Broad is now. Jones was the pick of our bowlers throughout that series, it was his reverse swing that made it! Jones also pitched in very nicely with the bat. Bell will not be picked for the first test, unless they suddenly decide to drop Bopara.
Flintoff is no longer Flintoff. When was the last time he took a 5 for? When was the last time he scored a century...or even a 50? Swann.... Is a better spinner, but Giles' role was a containing one, which he did marvelously...plus he also scored some very handy runs for us.
Tresco, ah yes. What was his average for the series? It will be interesting to see if Cook exceeds it this time. Albeit against worse bowling.

Cook is suspect to the ball going across him from an accurate right armer, but then Tresco was suspect outside the off stump. He was lucky McGrath missed two tests. I reckon Clarke will pick Cook up early a few times.

Flintoff hasn't made important runs for ages, including 2005. He's a better choice at number 7, or eight. Broad may prove to be better at 7. Freddie's bowling is still potent and accurate. He'll be England's best bowlers this time.

No containment needed. 20 wickets needed. Collingwood can do a containing role if necessary. Yes he only came in for the last test to beef up the batting when Jones Ball couldn't play...

It's about wickets. England now have better variety and better bowlers. It's all a matter of opinion of course. Anderson is a vastly improved bowler these days. He'll take most wickets, followed by Swann and Freddie.

But the four man attack gives England better balance. For the last six years or so they've looked a far better side without Flintoff than with him, because the management were acting under the delusion that he could bat. And used him as an excuse to put in another bowler.

I stand by what I say. This is a better England side all round. Better variety in the bowling (the Aussies are more prepared for late inswing so it won't be as potent this time). Better depth in the batting. I'd rather have Bell than collingwood, but if we think of Collingwood as the all-rounder rather than Flintoff, then we're thinking better.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion as a neutral:
England were a much better side in 2005 than they are now. They had played good cricket heading into the Ashes, yet despite this Australia were favourites - and rightly so. When Australia beat England in the 1st test it looked like it was business as usual. Australia started to fall apart. They lost Mcgrath, Ponting was not a good captain (and still isn't IMO), there was infighting etc. On the other hand things went right for England. Players like Jones, Flintoff, Harmison were awesome and Vaughn proved to be a good captain. What followed was one of the best test series in history which England deserved to win.

This time Australia are not the team that they were. For me, 2006-7 was their peak and it has been downhill since then. They know that they are not as good as they used to be. England are at home and I think they will take it - but it will be very close.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:06 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Tresco, ah yes. What was his average for the series? It will be interesting to see if Cook exceeds it this time. Albeit against worse bowling.

Cook is suspect to the ball going across him from an accurate right armer, but then Tresco was suspect outside the off stump. He was lucky McGrath missed two tests. I reckon Clarke will pick Cook up early a few times.

Flintoff hasn't made important runs for ages, including 2005. He's a better choice at number 7, or eight. Broad may prove to be better at 7. Freddie's bowling is still potent and accurate. He'll be England's best bowlers this time.

No containment needed. 20 wickets needed. Collingwood can do a containing role if necessary. Yes he only came in for the last test to beef up the batting when Jones Ball couldn't play...

It's about wickets. England now have better variety and better bowlers. It's all a matter of opinion of course. Anderson is a vastly improved bowler these days. He'll take most wickets, followed by Swann and Freddie.

But the four man attack gives England better balance. For the last six years or so they've looked a far better side without Flintoff than with him, because the management were acting under the delusion that he could bat. And used him as an excuse to put in another bowler.

I stand by what I say. This is a better England side all round. Better variety in the bowling (the Aussies are more prepared for late inswing so it won't be as potent this time). Better depth in the batting. I'd rather have Bell than collingwood, but if we think of Collingwood as the all-rounder rather than Flintoff, then we're thinking better.
the difference between then and now is that we had a bowling attack that had been together for over 18 months going into the Ashes 05' series. They attacked as a pack, none of which we have done over the last few years. Anderson has improved but certainly hasn't shown consistency in taking wickets. If fit, Sidebottom will be our main weapon.
The key here is consistency in attack, and ours certainly has shown nothing fo the sort since 2005. Doesn't mean we can't win, but I certainly do not believe this side is stronger than that of 05'
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:18 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
the difference between then and now is that we had a bowling attack that had been together for over 18 months going into the Ashes 05' series. They attacked as a pack, none of which we have done over the last few years. Anderson has improved but certainly hasn't shown consistency in taking wickets. If fit, Sidebottom will be our main weapon.
The key here is consistency in attack, and ours certainly has shown nothing fo the sort since 2005. Doesn't mean we can't win, but I certainly do not believe this side is stronger than that of 05'
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions. I believe that the Australian side in 2005 was stronger than the English, and yet they lost. So who knows. England have the attack to take twenty Australian wickets in this Ashes, so they'll have a chance.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Where's the choice of 'don't give a monkeys' Love Sunday League cricket, nothing better than wandering down to the local common/oval and sitting back and watching a good game. However, international cricket is as boring as hell imo and I'd rather watch paint dry than watch cricket on the box
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

England will win. I can enjoy going into work then. If we lose it'll be a nightmare.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:38 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

If the oz team does lose it will be because of the 'problem' that was reported on the news 2 nights ago, that the venues ground hasnt been used as a wicket before and they dont know how it will 'feel'
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

England: 3 for 194.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 8th 2009 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

England 7 for 336!

Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:11 pm
Demi-God

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
England 7 for 336!

By the look of the pitch anything over 350 is pretty good. 400 plus would set up England with a real chance I think.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

England 7 for 336!

I would say that Australia just edged day 1. If England can put on another 40-60 runs then they will have a slight advantage. Some of the England dismissals were pretty soft - especially Pietersen.

Batting last on this pitch is going to be tough.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:45 am
Demi-God

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I would say that Australia just edged day 1. If England can put on another 40-60 runs then they will have a slight advantage. Some of the England dismissals were pretty soft - especially Pietersen.

Batting last on this pitch is going to be tough.
We'll get to see what batting second is like this evening. And we'll see if England can put the Australian batsmen under more pressure than the Aussies put the English under.

Slow turning pitch, lush outfield and big square boundaries. I reck 400 here is the same as 500 at Lords.

Looking forward to it. The Aussies will also get the chance to see that England have a longer tail than they have for a change. Broad and Swann are both decent bats.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:05 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

It's a funny old wicket. I hope it starts to move in the third innings.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:24 am
Demi-God

It's a funny old wicket. I hope it starts to move in the third innings.
Also, we're getting TMS on the ABC, so turn off the sound on the TV and tune in to Aggers, Boycs, CMJ, Victor and Blowers. With a bit of Chapelli and Glen Mitchell thrown in.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Burbage
Also, we're getting TMS on the ABC, so turn off the sound on the TV and tune in to Aggers, Boycs, CMJ, Victor and Blowers. With a bit of Chapelli and Glen Mitchell thrown in.
TMS is great. I really like to listen Chappell - he has a great cricket brain and is not afraid to criticise the Aussies of he feels they need it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.