Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

who else is waiting to sell there house....

who else is waiting to sell there house....

Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

flossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of lightflossie22 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: who else is waiting to sell there house....

I agree!!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Mud Pod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brendarover
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...news=1&bbcws=1 You want to blame anyone, blame the banks, we all do not gain from high house prices, but the greedy money lenders do, as always, funkin disgrace!
Amen, someone who gets it.

But I would say that the governments were complicit in allowing the banks to run this scam – interest rates below the cost of real inflation was always going to end in tears, not to mention 100%+ mortgages.

I only posted on here to inject a bit of reality and share my experience of selling last year in the UK. The responses seem to be a mixture of anger at being faced with the truth about Brown’s rapidly deflating bubble, to “we know what’s happening, but please don’t tell us.” All I’d say -- if you did know how bad it’s gonna be, then most of you would have sold by now.

Ok, I won’t send anything after this post, I’m outta here. But those of you needing to sell should take a long hard look at what’s happening. Gordon Brown had one policy and that was to keep the house price inflation bubbling away; now that has gone (pretty much every observer has said the best-case scenario is a small decline, but sharp declines are more likely). Not even a million Poles will help this time

But take a step back and see who really benefited from the house inflation policy

The Winners

-The bankers who have collected fat bonuses for the last decade
-those who sold in the UK and emigrated to somewhere much cheaper (a relatively small number because most places you want to move to are also expensive)
-building companies, throwing up prefab apartments in a couple of weeks and charging 300k for a shoebox.
-speculators and flippers who ‘got in early’, but their numbers are relatively small
-people who had the money to buy second/third houses in the 1990s. Such as most of the NuLab cabinet.

The Downside to the bubble

-most people on a normal middle income salary were unable to ‘trade up’ because better houses were out of reach
-The housing bubble has created a generation of mortgage slaves. I mean, interest only mortgages -- WTF
-Caused a deep divide between the generations. Few young people/couples can afford to buy anything other than a pokey flat, if they’re ‘lucky’. None of the 25-early 30s group in our London office have kids because they can’t afford a decent house, and many are resigned to no ever being able to. Which is why only chavs breed now
-caused a deep divide in the have’s and have-nots. For instance, many rural areas have been destroyed by second-homers buying in places like Cornwall. There’s no young people left anymore, and places are ghost towns in winter.
-oh yeah, I nearly forgot. A massive recession coming our way now – that’s gonna be the hangover from the bubble.

If you’ve made a decent profit from your house, then be very happy and feel lucky. Don’t get angry and bitter because someone won’t pay last year’s inflated peak-of-bubble prices to fund your lifestyle.

I did ok on the place I had for the 4 years I was back in the UK. The increase essentially paid for my housing costs during that period. And that’s a result in my book.

I’m not gonna get all twisted that someone wouldn’t pay ‘what it was worth’. It was worth what someone was willing to pay for it at the time, and I calculated it was better to take what was on the table in October than hope some mug comes along to pay even more.

A final good luck folks and maybe see you in Oz next year

Keep it real!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

pstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the roughpstanton is a jewel in the rough

Hi know how you all feel my husband and I went through hell trying to sell our house - as the Uk system stinks. We had a lot of people want it who we trusted then to find out they pulled out for various reasons at ther last minute i.e. waiting for an inheritence which never come through and various other lies.

I was at breaking point and was fed up with solisitors, estate agents and then a man come along who I thought was very suspicious. He put a deposit down and moved in so fast we had to sit in a hotel for a week before comeing to Perth. We were shell shocked and exhausted. I felt it affected me so much it took a while to recover - that sounds silly but I come out with all different symptons after it was all over.

Hang on there it will happen but dont trust anyone in this current market as house prices are falling in the UK and people are taking advantage. Sell to the first one who comes up with the money and do not take it off the market until they exchange. Dont trust anyone.

Sounds harsh from a softie but its worth it my husband and i look back and think thank god we do not have to sell the house - we go back to the uk for a few months a year and we rent - i would never ever own a house there again. Too much red tape.

Good luck and wait it will come - WA motto wait a while
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:30 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mud Pod
Amen, someone who gets it.

But I would say that the governments were complicit in allowing the banks to run this scam – interest rates below the cost of real inflation was always going to end in tears, not to mention 100%+ mortgages.

I only posted on here to inject a bit of reality and share my experience of selling last year in the UK. The responses seem to be a mixture of anger at being faced with the truth about Brown’s rapidly deflating bubble, to “we know what’s happening, but please don’t tell us.” All I’d say -- if you did know how bad it’s gonna be, then most of you would have sold by now.

Ok, I won’t send anything after this post, I’m outta here. But those of you needing to sell should take a long hard look at what’s happening. Gordon Brown had one policy and that was to keep the house price inflation bubbling away; now that has gone (pretty much every observer has said the best-case scenario is a small decline, but sharp declines are more likely). Not even a million Poles will help this time

But take a step back and see who really benefited from the house inflation policy

The Winners

-The bankers who have collected fat bonuses for the last decade
-those who sold in the UK and emigrated to somewhere much cheaper (a relatively small number because most places you want to move to are also expensive)
-building companies, throwing up prefab apartments in a couple of weeks and charging 300k for a shoebox.
-speculators and flippers who ‘got in early’, but their numbers are relatively small
-people who had the money to buy second/third houses in the 1990s. Such as most of the NuLab cabinet.

The Downside to the bubble

-most people on a normal middle income salary were unable to ‘trade up’ because better houses were out of reach
-The housing bubble has created a generation of mortgage slaves. I mean, interest only mortgages -- WTF
-Caused a deep divide between the generations. Few young people/couples can afford to buy anything other than a pokey flat, if they’re ‘lucky’. None of the 25-early 30s group in our London office have kids because they can’t afford a decent house, and many are resigned to no ever being able to. Which is why only chavs breed now
-caused a deep divide in the have’s and have-nots. For instance, many rural areas have been destroyed by second-homers buying in places like Cornwall. There’s no young people left anymore, and places are ghost towns in winter.
-oh yeah, I nearly forgot. A massive recession coming our way now – that’s gonna be the hangover from the bubble.

If you’ve made a decent profit from your house, then be very happy and feel lucky. Don’t get angry and bitter because someone won’t pay last year’s inflated peak-of-bubble prices to fund your lifestyle.

I did ok on the place I had for the 4 years I was back in the UK. The increase essentially paid for my housing costs during that period. And that’s a result in my book.

I’m not gonna get all twisted that someone wouldn’t pay ‘what it was worth’. It was worth what someone was willing to pay for it at the time, and I calculated it was better to take what was on the table in October than hope some mug comes along to pay even more.

A final good luck folks and maybe see you in Oz next year

Keep it real!

Not really amen? Its just i can see the sellers point of view aswell, its difficult taking a big financial hit on your house. It is easy if you are buying back in to the same market, but very hard if you are getting out of your selling market and buying into a new market with completely different dynamics?

Good luck to the sellers - reduce get rid - rent in Oz - and claw back your losses in Oz because they will fall over there aswell, just be patient!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:12 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xux42
I've been lurking on this forum for weeks and I felt I had to register and say my piece.

I think property is undergoing a sustained correction and yes I read HPC and occasionally post on it. That does not make me a troll. Too many people on here want to go 'La La La' with their fingers in their ears when an informed person starts to explain what is happening to the property market.
There is nothing malicious in reporting the facts.

I am not emigrating. I have cousins in Australia and NZ who emigrated 30 years ago. However, not being a prospective Ex-Pat does not mean a person does not have something useful to say.

My take on all this is that selling a house is just part of the complex process of emigration. IF your skills are in strong demand, selling your house will easily clear your debts with a bit left over, you have researched your destination thoroughly and all indications are that you and your family will be even more successfull and happy abroad, then GO. Emigration is a fantastic opportunity for some people.
If you have struggled in the UK, can only finance emigration by getting an inflated price for your property and are vague about your destination ("its gotta be better than here") then you should NOT GO. Sorry but there it is, you will only end up back here older, poorer and wiser. I know because other family members did just that.

As for the specific topic of the thread, will people who have achieved quick sales for good prices PLEASE start posting the deails of EXACTLY how you managed it.
Will the people who post pink and fluffy nonsense along the lines of 'never mind love, something will turn up' please stop, you are hindering people who need to get on with the serious business of emigrating.

Some of you will hate what I have written, but do you really believe deep down that someone who talks about harsh reality is a troll?
Estate Agents say the nicest things but are thinking of nothing but how to convert your cash into a nice convertible beamer as fast as they can - think about it.

Despite what some (most) of you reading think, I really hope I have given an extra nudge to some people for whom emigration will be far better than staying to deal with the problems confronting this troubled land of ours. I would be absolutely delighted to hear in time to come that some of you have 'never looked back'.
Beats me why ppl wanna try and tell us THINGS WE ALREADY KNOW , if you read the thread you will see that . This & the other thread .
No-one here is in "la-la" land , we know the markets in a slump & we are adjusting accordingly . You guys come on here for 5 mins & take what everyone has said as black & white . This is "The Barbie" its light hearted , it offers ppl the chance to make light & have a moan about the market ...& offer encouargement , the market will pick up ... that may well be for me if i reduce price .. thats fine by me i know my margines , i know what i can & can't do .... you do not .

to quote you "If you have struggled in the UK " not one person here is "struggling"

i don't see you as a troll , as for reporting facts .... all you have reported is your "oppinion" which you are entitled to do

trust me .... WE KNOW the facts as we live with them everyday .

my circumstances can be far different to anyone elses , That cannot be predicted .

thanks for you input
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:15 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

< presses unsubscribe cuz he just can't be bothered with them anymore
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:28 pm
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icarus
Beats me why ppl wanna try and tell us THINGS WE ALREADY KNOW , if you read the thread you will see that . This & the other thread .
No-one here is in "la-la" land , we know the markets in a slump & we are adjusting accordingly . You guys come on here for 5 mins & take what everyone has said as black & white . This is "The Barbie" its light hearted , it offers ppl the chance to make light & have a moan about the market ...& offer encouargement , the market will pick up ... that may well be for me if i reduce price .. thats fine by me i know my margines , i know what i can & can't do .... you do not .

to quote you "If you have struggled in the UK " not one person here is "struggling"

i don't see you as a troll , as for reporting facts .... all you have reported is your "oppinion" which you are entitled to do

trust me .... WE KNOW the facts as we live with them everyday .

my circumstances can be far different to anyone elses , That cannot be predicted .

thanks for you input
Here, here. Good post.

Originally Posted by Icarus
< presses unsubscribe cuz he just can't be bothered with them anymore
Mmmmmm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:46 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I've been lurking on this forum for weeks and I felt I had to register and say my piece.

I think property is undergoing a sustained correction and yes I read HPC and occasionally post on it. That does not make me a troll. Too many people on here want to go 'La La La' with their fingers in their ears when an informed person starts to explain what is happening to the property market.

I am not emigrating. I have cousins in Australia and NZ who emigrated 30 years ago. However, not being a prospective Ex-Pat does not mean a person does not have something useful to say.

My take on all this is that selling a house is just part of the complex process of emigration. IF your skills are in strong demand, selling your house will easily clear your debts with a bit left over, you have researched your destination thoroughly and all indications are that you and your family will be even more successfull and happy abroad, then GO. Emigration is a fantastic opportunity for some people.
If you have struggled in the UK, can only finance emigration by getting an inflated price for your property and are vague about your destination ("its gotta be better than here") then you should NOT GO. Sorry but there it is, you will only end up back here older, poorer and wiser. I know because other family members did just that.

As for the specific topic of the thread, will people who have achieved quick sales for good prices PLEASE start posting the deails of EXACTLY how you managed it.
Will the people who post pink and fluffy nonsense along the lines of 'never mind love, something will turn up' please stop, you are hindering people who need to get on with the serious business of emigrating.

Some of you will hate what I have written, but do you really believe deep down that someone who talks about harsh reality is a troll?
Estate Agents say the nicest things but are thinking of nothing but how to convert your cash into a nice convertible beamer as fast as they can - think about it.

Despite what some (most) of you reading think, I really hope I have given an extra nudge to some people for whom emigration will be far better than staying to deal with the problems confronting this troubled land of ours. I would be absolutely delighted to hear in time to come that some of you have 'never looked back'.

If the forum, or thread title was aptly named STATE the OBVIOUS then you would win hands down.

Furthermore, if being ASSUMPTIVE and PRECOCIOUS could be rewarded , you have my vote !

The objective is for ppl of all denominations, all walks of life, and all income brackets and socio economic and skillset backgrounds, to throw into the pool, there ideas, realisations and of course opinions and conjecture.

If you are gonna join the forum, then blast ppl for being part of this community, then please dont post.

Its not necessary to ridicule ppl in such a contaminatory and inflamatory way.

It serves no purpose, and just powers the neons for, TROLL accusations.

However, seeing as you have watched and waited until this very moment to post, why not post circumstantial evidence of your experience, rather than a generic overview , Mary Whitehouse style.

If not STFU

Ste

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Mar 14th 2008 at 7:53 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:01 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum, good luck.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:12 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been on the market 2 weeks and we received an offer today we did that by undercutting the competition, not by a great deal, we are still marketing the house though until they sell their flat and many others are interested as my diary for viewings will show.

We and all the people on here know what they have to do to get a buyer we will not stop posting encouraging stuff just because you ask us to, these threads have been going on long enough for people to know whats going on.

I am unsure why you xux42 would be lurking on a forum which is meant for expats and potential expats when you have no intention of being one yourself.

Contrary to popular believe there are people out there buying houses its not all doom and gloom as those on HPC will have you believe.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
If the forum, or thread title was aptly named STATE the OBVIOUS then you would win hands down.

Furthermore, if being ASSUMPTIVE and PRECOCIOUS could be rewarded , you have my vote !

The objective is for ppl of all denominations, all walks of life, and all income brackets and socio economic and skillset backgrounds, to throw into the pool, there ideas, realisations and of course opinions and conjecture.

If you are gonna join the forum, then blast ppl for being part of this community, then please dont post.

Its not necessary to ridicule ppl in such a contaminatory and inflamatory way.

It serves no purpose, and just powers the neons for, TROLL accusations.

However, seeing as you have watched and waited until this very moment to post, why not post circumstantial evidence of your experience, rather than a generic overview , Mary Whitehouse style.

If not STFU

Ste
Well said
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:24 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Well said
CHeers
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

I'm getting A out next week to value ours for selling or renting if viable. Hope to be in Australia for Christmas

However I have a question that someone here might be able to answer - a girl i met at my interview has split with her partner and cannot afford her Mortgage she is planning to hand her keys back to mortgage co. and walk away - this seems too easy - has anyone ever heard of this? She seems pretty vulnerable at the moment and would hate her to make bad decision just to get away quickly - no internet access so I said i would look into it to see what i can find out. Would appreciate any advice
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Angib
I'm getting A out next week to value ours for selling or renting if viable. Hope to be in Australia for Christmas

However I have a question that someone here might be able to answer - a girl i met at my interview has split with her partner and cannot afford her Mortgage she is planning to hand her keys back to mortgage co. and walk away - this seems too easy - has anyone ever heard of this? She seems pretty vulnerable at the moment and would hate her to make bad decision just to get away quickly - no internet access so I said i would look into it to see what i can find out. Would appreciate any advice
It can be done and has been done before, she needs to really think about this though, the bank will go in change locks etc and do what ever needs to market the property for sale, they will then sell at the best price, but in the current conditions, may not be a great price, it may even go to auction. Until such time has been sold she will still be accruing interest, be in arrears and will be responsible for all sales, solicitors and associated costs, if she ends up with negative equity they will then hound her for this.

If the mortgage is is joint names, even though they have split he is still responsible for his half of the mortgage until the property has been sold.

Has she spoken to the bank to see what they can do while the proeprty is for sale.

Tracy
Old Mar 15th 2008, 11:23 am
Handsome Internet Guy

Originally Posted by Angib

Hmmmm , well good luck with your plans .
As for you friend ... As Tracey just said its been known ..but if she gets her head in to gear she should seek advice at the CAB .. at the very least .
maybe she could rent out a room ?? all sort of things can be done .
how long she owned the house ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.