Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
Can I just say the exact same thing, albeit in different words, is said over here in the UK, I think it's just a sense of pride and sadness the collective feels when such a tragic event occurs. I don't think anyone who said it would be hoping for the outcome to exclude anyone else, it's just a expression. Saying that, I used to get mightily annoyed when the Yanks would talk about Vietnam and never mention the Kiwis and Aussies (etc) who were fighting there . .
When England bombed in the World Cup the Scottish/Irish/Welsh nations collectively pissed themselves.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Well, I am Australian and don't want to spend too much time posting on these forums as I feel like I'm intruding a bit, .

But after stumbling on here and lurking a bit, purely out of curiosity at first, I have found it a bit alarming that a significant number of people who have moved out here from the UK, many of who are probably related in some way to a current Australian (but don't know it), have developed such hostile and condescending views towards Australia and Australians.

I know it's not all of them and probably nowhere near a majority even but I always thought that of all countries (except NZ maybe) UK was one of the closest to Australia and would feel at home here more than most.

Is Australian culture really all that different to British culture? A lot of you say it is but this actually surprises me a little. Sure the geography is very different and aspects of the climate in many places is very different but the actual culture in terms of the way we all live and the beliefs we have?
I guess a lot of it comes down to the AUssies that we find oursves mixing with. I've been on the receiving end of a variey of experiences whch have eft me very bitter at times towards "Australians" and "Queenslanders" in particular, but only the same that many Aussies have experienced from Poms back in the UK. I've also met some great Assies, but because my overall experience has been less than positive I do feel rather excluded and find it hard to see good things as eaasily as some others wh have had a largely positive experience here.

Please don't feel excluded from posting because you're an Aussie - the views balance things up and we do have lots of other Aussies on here. Unfortunately though, being a British Expat forum, you will always be rather outnumbered I think the culture IS very different in many ways, and the people that do come here expecting the two countries to e the same are usually in for a rude awakening.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:28 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Its more than just Anzac Day as well these days. We now have a remembrance day service in town. A new development where the Western Front is highlighted. The Aussies are very celebrated in France.

Some FACTS.

After escaping the horrors of Gallipoli the Anzac troops were redeployed to France to fight the Germans. The only units not sent to the Western Front were the light horse which remained in the Middle East. By July 1916 there were more than 90,000 Australians on the Western Front, another 90,000 training in England while about 25,000 remained in the Middle East.

25th June 1916 - First Australian Victoria Cross on the Western Front. Captain K. Heritage leads 8 officers and 73 others, all volunteers from the 5th
Brigade to harass enemy positions at Bois Grenier, near Armentières. Awards: Private John William Alexander Jackson, 17th Battalion, 5th Brigade,
2nd Division - Victoria Cross.

19th July 1916 - Battle of Fleurbaix commences near Fromelles. The battle at Fromelles was the only battle in which the AIF fought in the Western Front that failed to produce a positive result.

20th July 1916 - Battle of Fleurbaix ceases. Losses:

Australian: 5,533 killed or wounded - 400 prisoners.
British: 1,547 killed or wounded.
Germans: 1,500 killed or wounded.

In the 4 years of War approximately 416,809 Australians had joined up and of these 313,814 had embarked for duty overseas. 65% of these were killed or wounded compared to 51% for Britain, 50% for Canada and 59% for New Zealand. Nearly 40% of all Australian males aged 18 - 44 voluntarily enlisted. One in five, or 63,163 died on active service during the war.

Of the 313,814 who embarked from Australia, approximately 295,000 served on the Western Font. 53,000 died in France and Belgium, 18,000 have no known grave, 152,171 were wounded.

Between 27th March and 5th October 1918, the AIF made up less than 10% of combined forces but captured 23% of the prisoners, 23.5% of the enemy guns and 21.5% of the ground taken from the Germans.

The Australians were awarded 52 Victoria Crosses on the Western Front Campain.

Forgot to memtion: My wife is the secretary of the RSL sub branch and I am an affiliate member. It is not a licensed sub branch and acts more as a welfare support for vets.

We buried one of our members recently. He was an English fighter pilot from WWII awarded the DFC. He came to live in Australia many years ago.

Wifey and I are members of the honor guard for service member burials. I did one a couple of years ago. It was 40c all day and we stood with the flag for an hour and I was proud to do so.

And to the last poster, An Austrlain, good on you. Bout time someone said it.
Finally got round to reading it properly Alistair!! Thanks for the background, much appreciated - you'll be rivalling ABC as the figures man at this rate.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:05 pm
Home and Happy

OT posts moved to HERE so this discussion can stay on topic
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I do appreciate the sentiments. And from you Polly especially..

But I think a bit of it is rhetoric.

I think there are awful Australians out there to rival the British equivalent and a whole mediocre level to both British and Australian society. I think parts of Australia and Qld for that matter are socially conversative but this can be a positive and a drawcard. And there is some awful tabloid television. If people picked up a book and read some history maybe there would be less fustration.

As for working families - nothing more than a blue collar appeasing slant. It's just a flavour in a nation that remembers it's workers. Most countries have an equivalent - having said that in the UK there was a focus on middle families but perhaps this said more about New Labour and wanting to be seen moving away from their old roots.

Certainly the Melbournians I know are not flag wearing battlers.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've met modern teenage and young Australian soldiers and I'm not sure if I'm just older but they seem more mature in some ways than their British counterparts - a curious thing.
I've also met British and Australian soldiers/sailors/airmen and generally, if they are young officers they tend to be more mature minded. The rank and file are quite immature on both sides.

One thing about the Australian military though is they have recruits that are also much older than in the UK. Can apply to be an officer in the ADF up to 55 years. Not so in the UK with the cut off around 28 for an officer. Same with the enlisted ranks. Having older recruits in the mix could cause maturity from the older guys to rub off on the younger ones.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Certainly the Melbournians I know are not flag wearing battlers.
One of my mates has got an Aussie flag hanging on a flag pole outside the front of his house. I've also seen the same thing in front of many peoples homes. If that is not flag waving, what is?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
One of my mates has got an Aussie flag hanging on a flag pole outside the front of his house. I've also seen the same thing in front of many peoples homes. If that is not flag waving, what is?
I like the flags on poles outside peoples homes. Nothing wrong with a bit of national pride. I wish more did it in the UK but people (in England anyway) seemed embarrassed by the flag or just associate it with football hooliganism, very sad.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

There is nothing wrong with national pride. My kids are taught at kinder to sing the songs "We Are Australian" and "I Still Call Australia Home". They also learn about other cultures and learn songs from those countries too.

I cannot imagine children in English kinders being taught to sing a song called "We Are English", can you? It would be seen as racist or some such rubbish.

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jul 13th 2010 at 12:43 am.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I cannot imagine children in English kinders being taught to sign a song called "We Are English", can you? It would be seen as racist or some such rubbish.

BB
They teach them sign language in the UK kinders? The education standards are advanced in the UK!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

They teach them sign language in the UK kinders? The education standards are advanced in the UK!
Erratum corrected.

BB
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I've also met British and Australian soldiers/sailors/airmen and generally, if they are young officers they tend to be more mature minded. The rank and file are quite immature on both sides.

One thing about the Australian military though is they have recruits that are also much older than in the UK. Can apply to be an officer in the ADF up to 55 years. Not so in the UK with the cut off around 28 for an officer. Same with the enlisted ranks. Having older recruits in the mix could cause maturity from the older guys to rub off on the younger ones.
Possibly true. I noticed with a degree of surprise and delight that the age limits were high when I contacted defence recruiting. I sort of thought that this was also a sign of the times. The maximum age limits have been raised back in the UK - if only by a couple of years. I did pose the question how a YO can be a platoon commander past middle age but I suspect they tend to be support arms and or progressed on to less active roles faster - and naturally there are many!!

I did not mean it literally!!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 13th 2010 at 4:16 am.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie bloke staggering lost in the desert decides out of desperation to piss in his hat and drink it.......good old 'Aussie ingenuity' of course.

No other nationality would have thought of that.

Makes me laugh anyway.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:41 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Aussie bloke staggering lost in the desert decides out of desperation to piss in his hat and drink it.......good old 'Aussie ingenuity' of course.

No other nationality would have thought of that.

Makes me laugh anyway.
At least he had a hat!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

PJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the roughPJLondonSydney is a jewel in the rough

As a returned Australian expat I cringe at the "unique" mateship statements, but then I cringed at the only the British exhibit the "stiff upper lip" and "only our lads" rubbish as well. You have to learn to live with it and as long as it doesn't lead to BNP and National Front type sentiments, it's harmless. As for thanking fellow Australians for helping in national disasters, how many times have you heard comments like "it's time like this that show you what the British people are really made of" in similar situations? A general thank you everyone might be nicer, but I don't think the other type is meant to be exclusionist. Ahhh, QLD - it is a unique (read strange, bizarre, sometimes backward, sometimes awkward, often clueless, devoid of political correctness - from the refreshingly honest to the downright offensive - often crass) place. I sometimes bemoan moving back here after11 years, but it is mid winter and 24 degrees outside....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.