Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Why every time there is a disaster or tragedy does some aussie have to pop up spouting how ' Unique and Australian ' , the reactions of compassion, empathy, kindness, assistance, aid are??

Last night a young soldier is killed, watching it, very sad, but why does some idiot always have to pop up saying how ' Australian ' it is that people have reacted with compassion to this event.

Why wouldnt they, why is it Australian or Unique to Austalia? its the way any race nationality reacts to a tragedy.

It really annoys me that they have to pull this 'superior' only we feel compassion and mateship thing rant every time. Find it quite insulting really, do they really think other races dont act the same way, is it really that insular here
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Originally Posted by jad n rich
is it really that insular here
Yes. Nothing more than propaganda. In reality an Aussie is more likely to stab you in the back. This Aussie mateship thing is a fallacy. Everybody is out for what they can get for themselves.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:04 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Why every time there is a disaster or tragedy does some aussie have to pop up spouting how ' Unique and Australian ' , the reactions of compassion, empathy, kindness, assistance, aid are??

Last night a young soldier is killed, watching it, very sad, but why does some idiot always have to pop up saying how ' Australian ' it is that people have reacted with compassion to this event.

Why wouldnt they, why is it Australian or Unique to Austalia? its the way any race nationality reacts to a tragedy.

It really annoys me that they have to pull this 'superior' only we feel compassion and mateship thing rant every time. Find it quite insulting really, do they really think other races dont act the same way, is it really that insular here
YES it a load of garbage, l think l read Aussies give less to charity then just about any other country so Aussies are probably less likely to help their mates then most other countries
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Yes. Nothing more than propaganda. In reality an Aussie is more likely to stab you in the back. This Aussie mateship thing is a fallacy. Everybody is out for what they can get for themselves.
Pretty much spot on.

On a slightly different tack, I saw the new Tourism Australia ad over the weekend . . . There's nothing like Australia ("where everyone down the pub is your best mate") . . . and they are absolutely spot on . . . its absolutely nothing like Australia.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mohogony
YES it a load of garbage, l think l read Aussies give less to charity then just about any other country so Aussies are probably less likely to help their mates then most other countries
Some recent giving statistics:

• Australia has an estimated 700,000 not-for-profit organisations; only about 20,000 have Deductible Gift Recipient status (1).
  • At the end of June 2007, 40,976 not-for-profit organisations in Australia employed staff – a total of more than 884,000 people. During the 2006-07 financial year, these not-for-profits raised $74.5b in income (4).
  • Australians spend $14 billion every year on Christmas food, Christmas drink, and Christmas presents (2).
  • Australians – individuals and business – give $11 billion a year to not-for-profit organisations. Only $1 billion of this is tax deductible (1).
  • In 2006-07, 4.28 million Australian taxpayers (or 36.30% of the Australian taxpaying population) made and claimed tax-deductible donations. This was slightly down on the previous year, where 36.45% or 4.2 million taxpayers made and claimed a gift, and goes against a decade-long trend of rising participation in giving (3).
  • In fact, since 1995, donations have gone up each year by more than inflation. During the period 1995-96 and 2005-06, giving of money by individuals has increased in absolute terms by 150%, or an average of 10% per year (5).
  • In 2006-07, 2.18 million male taxpayers made and claimed tax-deductible donations to DGRs totalling $1.16 billion. During the same period, 2.1 million female taxpayers made and claimed tax-deductible donations to DGRs totalling $749.34 million in 2007 (3).
  • Individual Australians give $5.7 billion (and spend another $2 billion on 'charity gambling' and special events). 87% of adult Australians give – but half of all donors give less than $100 (1).
  • Businesses give $3.3 billion. 67% of all businesses give – 68% of that in money ($2.21 billion), 16% in goods ($0.52 billion) and 16% in services ($0.52 billion). Donations accounted for 58% of business giving ($1.9 billion); sponsorship for 25% ($0.81 billion); and community business projects for 17% ($0.54 billion - given by 19% of businesses). Business' contribution has more than doubled since an ABS survey in 2000-2001 (1).
  • Three-quarters of Australians (73%) have said they would be happy if somebody made a donation to a charity on their behalf rather than giving them a present for Christmas (2).
  • Giving of time – individuals volunteering in not-for-profit organisations – is also significant; 41% of adult Australians volunteer an average of 132 hours per year per volunteer (1).
http://www.givenow.com.au/givingweek/media/about

Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

See where you are coming from but to be honest when it comes to practises and cultures I let nations observe their own practises the way they see fit. If they choose to celebrate and focus on particular things that's their right. They choose to focus on an Australian positive - it doesn't mean that noone else has this. Most soldiers know this : I see some practises in the Australian army and popular culture that I see in other commonwealth armies and nations.

It's interesting that out of the many nations in the UN only a handful of nations actually did anything in Afghanistan - Australia one of them.

As for some of the other acnecdotes - funny.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

You miserable bastards it's just a bit of comradship, like the way the British banded together with their 'Blitz spirit' and were very proud of it.

They're talking about fallen soldiers f.f.s. people who died to defend their country and their countries' ways.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

AS a non-Aussie it really hurts sometimes because you hear these commentators saying that "Australians mourn their mates" etc as if they are the only ones with the rights to do it. Its not just about the mourning of the soldiers though, its in every tragedy and other event where people need their true friends to stand by them.
I rmember after Trop Cyclone Larry when our then Emergency Services Minister said that "Australian people of the Far North thanked their fellow Australians for all their help" - I know I wasn't the only pom who felt slighted by that as we had worked our butts off, yet suddenly felt excluded.
"Australians stand by therir mates whatever happens." - makes it sound like Australians have some kind of copyright on true friendship, and if your friends aren't Australian you may as well not have them.

(sorry, sore point with me, rant over!)
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Gets me too! Same as the un-Australian thing. Seems the Aussies want to claim basic human actions and emotions such as compassion, kindness, helpfulness etc all to themselves. Well, at least the brainwashed ones do. Makes my wife cringe every time she hears it and she's born and bred aussie.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
AS a non-Aussie it really hurts sometimes because you hear these commentators saying that "Australians mourn their mates" etc as if they are the only ones with the rights to do it. Its not just about the mourning of the soldiers though, its in every tragedy and other event where people need their true friends to stand by them.
I rmember after Trop Cyclone Larry when our then Emergency Services Minister said that "Australian people of the Far North thanked their fellow Australians for all their help" - I know I wasn't the only pom who felt slighted by that as we had worked our butts off, yet suddenly felt excluded.
"Australians stand by therir mates whatever happens." - makes it sound like Australians have some kind of copyright on true friendship, and if your friends aren't Australian you may as well not have them.

(sorry, sore point with me, rant over!)
I can imagine that. To be honest, Polly you have to understand the culture behind it. I don't think anyone if asked would really want to exclude anyone.

It's just a form of pride and rhetoric. You have to remember the Australian rural, frontier and military tradition features high in some communities and institutions, it even has a palce in modern volunteer country firefighter units.

People say Australia has no history but some of it's history is the stuff of battling and blue collar ingenuity, and yes, convict past which had to be exclusive - at least 200 years ago. It's a pride you see in places like the East end of London and in elite UK military units and communities.

Some of the most ordinary Australians I have met have impressed me with their tolerance and acceptance. I've met modern teenage and young Australian soldiers and I'm not sure if I'm just older but they seem more mature in some ways than their British counterparts - a curious thing. Not quite so exclusive, strangely enough.

Now Woolies talking about fresh-food loving Australians is something else. That's the only thing that has annoyed me here! There's no real tradition behind that!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:35 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

They do overdo the "Aussie" thing, especially on the news but then you see things like, "There was a train crash in Switzerland today, no Britishers were involved" and hence ends the story in the British Press.

Please also see this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676277
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:53 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
They do overdo the "Aussie" thing, especially on the news but then you see things like, "There was a train crash in Switzerland today, no Britishers were involved" and hence ends the story in the British Press.
Reminds me of the Spitting Image sketch where Alistair Burnett announces a news flash - "there has been a terrible disaster, details to follow". After the following sketch, he returns to announce "no need to worry, the terrible disaster happened overseas".

Hmm I'll see if I can dig it up on Youtube.

BB
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:58 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
You miserable bastards it's just a bit of comradship, like the way the British banded together with their 'Blitz spirit' and were very proud of it.

They're talking about fallen soldiers f.f.s. people who died to defend their country and their countries' ways.
They are defending someone else's country and that country's ways.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimbo_d

Dunkirque?
The Desert Rats?
2 PARA in the Falklands

Just about every British schoolboy learns that even though Tommy had itchy baggy uniforms and every Yank was trapping every girl in sight with nylon stockings that the bowler helmeted squaddie was the best in the world...

Every British schoolboy learns that his country had one of the largest Empires ever seen and is (at least at the time for some) very proud of it. And they've every reason to be proud.

Many a British schoolboy finds a tribal identity in his soccer team - and then as an adult, goes on to spend the entire game abusing players on the field in a way absolutely exclusive and beyond the bounds of good taste.

But Australians who try to enunciate, to wax lyrical about some tiny meaning in some aspect of their history or culture are not allowed to self-indulge.

You know what - it's just a bit of poetry and feeling at times, perhaps from a group of old teary-eyed boys... That's all, really! You think the supermarket monthly basket of goods are expensive, well how would it feel to carry the thing across East Falkland?

I really don't think that some of these people would think that compassion doesn't exist elsewhere. There was a programme about Australian soldiers in the Stan last week and I saw some soldiers who are nothing but a credit to their unit, mixing in with other cultures. And that's increasingly the way Australian and UK soldiers have operated - if I may be so bold - it's a thing that commanders consider that commonwealth soldiers do well. It started out - was well documented in Borneo, was practised in N Ireland and continued in Iraq and the Stan.

May UK and Australian troops carry out and further a long tradition - even if the relationship bourne of the First World War could have destroyed it- but that's another story eulogised and debated in itself.

Let them have their moment I say! Whether it's Cyclone Tracey, or the rural tradition or a bunch of blokes in a men's shed.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen the same rhetoric the world over....including a massive amount in britain when I lived there...british ingenuity, humour, bulldog spirit, empire, intellect, etc etc etc ....You hear it on this forum all the time as well...

Was one of the things I learnt through travel....we are all the same and criticize each other for the same faults we possess but overlook...might be slightly more here but the nature of a large tough country would explain the need for that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.