Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:40 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Originally Posted by PJLondonSydney
As a returned Australian expat I cringe at the "unique" mateship statements, but then I cringed at the only the British exhibit the "stiff upper lip" and "only our lads" rubbish as well. You have to learn to live with it and as long as it doesn't lead to BNP and National Front type sentiments, it's harmless. As for thanking fellow Australians for helping in national disasters, how many times have you heard comments like "it's time like this that show you what the British people are really made of" in similar situations? A general thank you everyone might be nicer, but I don't think the other type is meant to be exclusionist.....
Bang on. Every nation does it, some more than others, but it would be stranger if you didn't hear those sort of sentiments expressed. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

This is the BBC and here is the news.... "today in Africa hundreds died after a massive flood struck without warning. One Briton is believed to have lost his comb"
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:22 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Why every time there is a disaster or tragedy does some aussie have to pop up spouting how ' Unique and Australian ' , the reactions of compassion, empathy, kindness, assistance, aid are??
Not yet in a position to know whether those qualities are widely true of Australians but if it's stated often enough maybe they will come true
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Bang on. Every nation does it, some more than others, but it would be stranger if you didn't hear those sort of sentiments expressed. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

This is the BBC and here is the news.... "today in Africa hundreds died after a massive flood struck without warning. One Briton is believed to have lost his comb"
I remember a sketch on "Not the Nine oclock" news that was along similar lines. If a train crashed in Switzerland, one Briton received sctaches 30 others dead. Then the next bit was in africa 20 Britons having to survive in an airport as all the planes are diverted in the rescue of survivors from flooding that killed 5000. It actuall ranked Brits, Yanks, Ozzies, Europeans then assorted riffraff after wards. It's not far off the mark from real life reporting.

Keel
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:29 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Why every time there is a disaster or tragedy does some aussie have to pop up spouting how ' Unique and Australian ' , the reactions of compassion, empathy, kindness, assistance, aid are??

Last night a young soldier is killed, watching it, very sad, but why does some idiot always have to pop up saying how ' Australian ' it is that people have reacted with compassion to this event.

Why wouldnt they, why is it Australian or Unique to Austalia? its the way any race nationality reacts to a tragedy.

It really annoys me that they have to pull this 'superior' only we feel compassion and mateship thing rant every time. Find it quite insulting really, do they really think other races dont act the same way, is it really that insular here
Well if you dont like it so much why don,t you fark off back to where you came from ..... I hope this is the response you were looking for ...........mm
Old Jul 14th 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think I have a better understanding now of where everyone is coming from and I actually agree now I have heard some specific reasons as to why people feel the way they do.

I think if you had to specify places in Australia that can be seen as a little backwards, or even redneck to be more blunt, rural Queensland would top the list and the area of the country within the tropics in general (Northern AUS), followed by the isolated outback areas which are very sparsely populated. So many people in Australia live in, or within striking distance of a major city, that when you get out into remoter areas you sort of get into the fringes a bit, the people are more your stereotypical 'ocker' Australians, are more likely to be less cultured and/or educated and living a much simpler life.

Not saying that these type of people are unfriendly or unpleasant people, many of them are fantastic people but also many of them are more likely to be rude and aggressive (over assertive), less tolerant of other races or cultures or ways of life and make you feel uncomfortable. I also understand that English, Americans and even New Zealanders can cop a lot of negative behaviour from some Australians, certainly not most Australians though. I often cringe when hearing some of these people overtly make English or NZ immigrants feel uncomfortable by mocking their accent or making some stupid jibe about the weather, sporting teams, sheep, or some other stereotype, even when the targets are being perfectly friendly and polite and trying their hardest to fit in to their new country and make friends with these people. They are certainly the minority though, there are morons like this everywhere, all over the world.

Again, I am at risk of generalising here but these places I mentioned are where you will find these type of people. Not everyone in these areas is like this of course, but they are a lot more prominent there than down in Victoria or in particular the cities in the south east, i.e. Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart, Sydney where people are a lot more similar to the average English/European, American etc. i.e. more educated, more cultural awareness etc.

I have actually had similar unpleasant experiences with these type of people that it seems a lot of the posters on here have, the difference I guess is that I have grown up in Australia and I'm more aware of the different types of cultures and personality styles of people here with respect to geography and socio-economic ranks etc. and realise that it is not the same everywhere. Australia is a lot more diverse in a cultural and demographic sense than a lot of people give it credit for and certainly more so than the stereotypical portrayal of Australians suggests which is the view that a lot of the world outside of Australia picks up through the media etc.

I hope I have not offended people on here with this view, especially Queenslanders, , I am not saying that you are a redneck or backwards or your stereotypical Steve Irwin type Aussie just because you are from the outback or certain parts of the country but I do understand how you could pick up a negative aspect of the country if you have had bad experiences with certain types of people.

Oh and apologies if this post is off topic, feel free to move it if it is, don't want to clog up the thread.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Well, I think I have a better understanding now of where everyone is coming from and I actually agree now I have heard some specific reasons as to why people feel the way they do.

I think if you had to specify places in Australia that can be seen as a little backwards, or even redneck to be more blunt, rural Queensland would top the list and the area of the country within the tropics in general (Northern AUS), followed by the isolated outback areas which are very sparsely populated. So many people in Australia live in, or within striking distance of a major city, that when you get out into remoter areas you sort of get into the fringes a bit, the people are more your stereotypical 'ocker' Australians, are more likely to be less cultured and/or educated and living a much simpler life.

Not saying that these type of people are unfriendly or unpleasant people, many of them are fantastic people but also many of them are more likely to be rude and aggressive (over assertive), less tolerant of other races or cultures or ways of life and make you feel uncomfortable. I also understand that English, Americans and even New Zealanders can cop a lot of negative behaviour from some Australians, certainly not most Australians though. I often cringe when hearing some of these people overtly make English or NZ immigrants feel uncomfortable by mocking their accent or making some stupid jibe about the weather, sporting teams, sheep, or some other stereotype, even when the targets are being perfectly friendly and polite and trying their hardest to fit in to their new country and make friends with these people. They are certainly the minority though, there are morons like this everywhere, all over the world.

Again, I am at risk of generalising here but these places I mentioned are where you will find these type of people. Not everyone in these areas is like this of course, but they are a lot more prominent there than down in Victoria or in particular the cities in the south east, i.e. Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart, Sydney where people are a lot more similar to the average English/European, American etc. i.e. more educated, more cultural awareness etc.

I have actually had similar unpleasant experiences with these type of people that it seems a lot of the posters on here have, the difference I guess is that I have grown up in Australia and I'm more aware of the different types of cultures and personality styles of people here with respect to geography and socio-economic ranks etc. and realise that it is not the same everywhere. Australia is a lot more diverse in a cultural and demographic sense than a lot of people give it credit for and certainly more so than the stereotypical portrayal of Australians suggests which is the view that a lot of the world outside of Australia picks up through the media etc.

I hope I have not offended people on here with this view, especially Queenslanders, , I am not saying that you are a redneck or backwards or your stereotypical Steve Irwin type Aussie just because you are from the outback or certain parts of the country but I do understand how you could pick up a negative aspect of the country if you have had bad experiences with certain types of people.

Oh and apologies if this post is off topic, feel free to move it if it is, don't want to clog up the thread.
Excellent post; and having lived in Qld for seven years (though I am definitely NOT a Qlder ) I can see exactly where you're coming from
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I would put the bad suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne as containing the most redneck dodgy people with a similar but smaller problem in Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane with them being less populous and not having such relatively large concentrations of them. Would rather take my chances with a qld country hick then with some of those in Melbourne, Sydney
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I like the mateship thingo but admit to cringing at clips to shows like A Current Affair when they go on about the poor battler who is struggling to afford to heat her house because shes having to pay off the nasty people at Coles Myer group for the presents that she bought her 8 grandchildren for christmas....Ermm yes...its called a store card, you spent on it, suck it up!!!

That and the fact that you hear about a dreadful earthquake and they end the piece with...we have reports that one Australian may have torn a finger nail....I wait, with my toes doing involuntary curling, for them to please NOT say it...but every friggin time!!!! Drives me mental

I also wish that when they are speaking about another poor Aussie solider dying in Iraq that they would maybe mention other nations tallys somewhere so that the massive multi cultural country that we live in gets chnce to hear that other soldiers have also paid the ultimate price for their country too.

I suppose its about balance at the end of the day.

I was very proud of the Aussies/ to be an Aussie on black saturday too, that, to me, was the epitome of mateship, from everyone involved...
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I like the mateship thingo but admit to cringing at clips to shows like A Current Affair when they go on about the poor battler who is struggling to afford to heat her house because shes having to pay off the nasty people at Coles Myer group for the presents that she bought her 8 grandchildren for christmas....Ermm yes...its called a store card, you spent on it, suck it up!!!

That and the fact that you hear about a dreadful earthquake and they end the piece with...we have reports that one Australian may have torn a finger nail....I wait, with my toes doing involuntary curling, for them to please NOT say it...but every friggin time!!!! Drives me mental

I also wish that when they are speaking about another poor Aussie solider dying in Iraq that they would maybe mention other nations tallys somewhere so that the massive multi cultural country that we live in gets chnce to hear that other soldiers have also paid the ultimate price for their country too.

I suppose its about balance at the end of the day.

I was very proud of the Aussies/ to be an Aussie on black saturday too, that, to me, was the epitome of mateship, from everyone involved...
A Current Affair....you're getting what you deserve
Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/...es/default.stm

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/fallen/
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how many of you are aware of this thread in The Lounge.
Before posting anything on it, please read the first two or three posts, and respect the fact its not a general discussion thread.

Thanks.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't know how many of you are aware of this thread in The Lounge.
Before posting anything on it, please read the first two or three posts, and respect the fact its not a general discussion thread.

Thanks.
Thank you Poly

I did'nt know this thread was running. I've just posted this:

"Just found out the son of an aquantance died last week. Cant see his name published yet. Sad.
The whole family are military, brothers, Uncles and fathers.

They are well known in Northumberland."

I just found this out from a friend on facebook. I know a lot of his family.

Keel

Keel
Old Jul 14th 2010, 9:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unique Australian Mateship thingo ????

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Melbourne .......... people are a lot more similar to the average English/European, American etc. i.e. more educated, more cultural awareness etc.
Agreed.

In fact I would say the people I work with in corporate Melbourne are considerably, considerably more educated and culturally aware than the people I worked with in corporate London.

BB
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:35 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
A Current Affair....you're getting what you deserve
PLEASE note I said CILPS
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

Ermm, I may be being a bit thick but I was talking about a quick mention on our news every now and then? It often feels as though theres only Aussie casualties ......

I'm not much good at explaining this am I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.