Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK household disposable income falls for first time in 30 years

UK household disposable income falls for first time in 30 years

Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:32 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK household disposable income falls for first time in 30 years

Originally Posted by bcworld
The govt is treading a fine line...I watch with interest.

We hear that the economic problems are catastrophic, yet they say they can balance the books in 3 years...something doesn't quite add up there. I think there is a chance they are being irresposible (too much cut, too quickly) to get what they want done before the next election.

A bit like me saying, sh!t I've put on 10kg in the last 18 months, better lose it by Easter.
i'd say the US is doing better with the stimulus and quantitative easing still in place. no rush to have a surplus. besides the US is not too much into financial services with its more diverse economy and can borrow heaps more money with little worry for ratings downgrade.

the tories are cutting fat too fast the body can barely survive. and it's all about politics really.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 12:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
As far as Cameron goes......this is not unexpected. People do not trust the Tories and this is simply adding to that mistrust.
It's not a Tory thing though. Labour and Liberal don't trust the Tories, the Tories and Liberals don't trust Labour and so on. People don't trust politicians regardless of leanings.

I'm honestly gobsmacked that after 21 years people are still blaming Thatcher for the woes of the country. it's total bullshit. She came in and did her job, she got shot of those that were bringing the country down. Yes areas suffered, but as has been said, she didn't really have a choice, she was damned if she did and damned if she didn't. I loathe the woman, well as much as someone can who doesn't know the person, but it's a generation ago and the country has been shafted quite happily by successive governments both before Thatcher and after and to continue harping on about her is dumb.

As for parties when she dies, really? How sad that there are people out there so bitter and twisted about an elderly lady who did nothing more than her job that they wish her dead. Don't expect many to mourn her but to celebrate? That's just sick.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I don't wish her dead and admired her for what she did for equal opportunities. But it was cruel and I don't think she did what had to be done. She was like a mild pol pot - sticking to an ideal regardless of who suffered. I think the uk has ended up where it would be regardless overall but for the poorer areas such as wales, we ended up with less and with community divides that needs Ed have been t nhere.
I sound like a revolutionary but perhaps that's the wine and memories of my poor old dad sobbing over an open fire in an oil can and notbhaving any food for months on end and no solution in sight. It would be interesting to know how many of you didn't have food in the 70s? We were quite well off compared to the neighbours actually but I spent my life picking coke from the old furnaces for our fire and thought that was life - being brought up to resent the controlling conservatives. I remember voting conservative at about 20 and my dad driving to reading to talk to me about it .....
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:18 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We were lucky at Galbraiths shipbrokers.

Simple associated fact from Melbourne.. what has happened to the 1 million dollar a day profit that the Gas and Fuel used to make for Victoria. ? It's in private investors pockets at the expense of the decent service for Victorian Gas customers and pay for it's employees. This scenario has been repeated around the world... ***** knows where the money is going... seems like a very narrow channel to me. I'm slightly suss about the whole thing.
Galbraiths? I was at Clarksons! Dry freight derivatives..
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
maggie killed wales, and created a resentful, poor, beaten society. It wasn;t right before her and things had to change but I can never forget what happened to our communities during the mining strike. Scars that can never heal
Killed Wales really? you mean a few mining valleys in the Rhonda, compare Cardiff today with the Cardiff of the 70's. Wales tends to get hit hard in times of recession but the Wales i see now when i go home is much more prosperous on the whole than the one i saw 30-40 years ago.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 9:07 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by papilon
Killed Wales really? you mean a few mining valleys in the Rhonda, compare Cardiff today with the Cardiff of the 70's. Wales tends to get hit hard in times of recession but the Wales i see now when i go home is much more prosperous on the whole than the one i saw 30-40 years ago.
The relative prosperity seen in Wales and other traditionally poorer parts of the UK, have nothing to do with anything that Thatcher's Tories did, its there despite of what they did. The entire country, at least until very recently, is financially better off after 20yrs of growth across almost the entire Western world.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:13 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

The prosperity of SE England compared to the rest of the UK is why we should never get rid of the states in Aus. This is what happens when you have highly centralised government. The region with the most electoral seats wins.

As for the minor's strike. Thatcher was too vicious. However Scargill gets the blame in my book. At the point when a[n] union leader thinks he can take down an elected government the government is within it's rights to stop him. It's a shame he used the minors as his pawns.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Everywhere in the world has obviously moved on from the 70s - Cardiff is fab now, I love it - I cant wait for my 3 months there this year

just a few mining valleys in the Rhonda? - where were you living during the strikes then? You surely can't have been in wales and untouched?
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The relative prosperity seen in Wales and other traditionally poorer parts of the UK, have nothing to do with anything that Thatcher's Tories did, its there despite of what they did. The entire country, at least until very recently, is financially better off after 20yrs of growth across almost the entire Western world.
Probably does have a bit to do with the Torie's policy of encouraging business growth in previously industrial areas with favourable tax and grant incentives. Wales is now an aerospace centre of excellence due to this.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:24 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Probably does have a bit to do with the Torie's policy of encouraging business growth in previously industrial areas with favourable tax and grant incentives. Wales is now an aerospace centre of excellence due to this.
EXACTLY!

She stopped the cycle of subsidisation, made workers and managers more responsible and accountable and industry work smarter.

Shame the only thing some people remember is she stole their kids milk
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
EXACTLY!

She stopped the cycle of subsidisation, made workers and managers more responsible and accountable and industry work smarter.
They managed to do this in other Countries most notably European, with a smigeon of the pain that the revengeful filth, forced the mining communities to go through.

How does shutting down mines make the UK mining industry work smarter ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 2nd 2011 at 1:41 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:01 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
They managed to do this in other Countries most notably European, with a smigeon of the pain that the revengeful filth, forced the mining communities to go through.

How does shutting down mines make the UK minding industry work smarter ?
So constant striking was making the mines profitable? From memory it was cheaper to mine abroad and import? what about the health of the miners? Wasn't exactly a healthy industry and major health claims were on the horizon......

Also other countries wouldn't tolerate the miners strikes, the unnessesary stupidity and silliness from the unions that MT had to deal with. She had to take a tough stance not only on the unions but the lazy, incompetent bosses of industry. Long lunch hours, days on the golf course, jobs for the boys and low GDP were to become (in the main) things of the past.

This must have been one of the hardest things to do as she needed both groups to make these major changes. She couldn't make it happen without hurting the unions, the various industries and their leaders and also the workers. But she had the forsight to see it would eventually work and pay dividends. To do this she needed to kick arse. Someone had to do it and none of the fellas had the balls. She changed the way management operated within business, made people get off their fat arses and work for a living and made it clear unions who took the hard line would lose power. She favoured workers councils and equal opportunities and sponsored equal worker/management rights. She put in to place workplace reforms and laws to create equal responsibilities and accountabilities.

Anyone who stands up to be counted and changes industry for the better, creating accountability and responsibility needs to be thanked for having the balls to do it rather than whinging about the good old days before she made the changes.

They weren't good old days. And the grass was never greener.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Apr 2nd 2011 at 2:05 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
Everywhere in the world has obviously moved on from the 70s - Cardiff is fab now, I love it - I cant wait for my 3 months there this year

just a few mining valleys in the Rhonda? - where were you living during the strikes then? You surely can't have been in wales and untouched?
The Shires in the South East
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Rubbish, most of western europe stood still whilst Uk prospered first during tories and later under Tony. But it was the foundation laid by Maggie that lead Tonys labour without it's union constraints to prosper.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Rubbish, most of western europe stood still whilst Uk prospered first during tories and later under Tony. But it was the foundation laid by Maggie that lead Tonys labour without it's union constraints to prosper.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=152

Odd. That graph seems to show that something went a bit pear shaped for the UK in 1979. I wonder what that could have been?... it also doesn't seem to suggest that "most of western europe stood still" now does it?

I await a blizzard of shitty graphs to explain how I'm a numpty and that the UK is a million times better off as a result of the Conservatives... and not a one of them will make the slightest bit of difference to my opinion of what a great 'success' Thatcher's governments were for the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.