Reload this Page >

UK household disposable income falls for first time in 30 years

UK household disposable income falls for first time in 30 years

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK household disposable income falls for first time in 30 years

Originally Posted by papilon
Left school in her first term, more jobs in my area than you could shake a stick at, everybody in my area loved her and thought most Northerners where a lazy bunch. The impression it left on me was that not everybody suffers when times are tough, i never understood why people just sit and wait for the tide to turn.

As a more mature person today i understand the hardships suffered by many in the UK during her leadership, but there is no denying she changed the country and especially the north for the better.
Really?
Well from my personal experience, she turned East Manchester from a heavy engineering and manufacturing hub, to a total wasteland, that its still not and now probably never will, recover from, to this day.

As for "why people just sit and wait for the tide to turn"; Manchester actually depopulated during her terms in office, thousands left. Thousands more didn't have the abilities or, indeed, the finances to leave.
Still, so long as Tory heartlands were doing OK the rest of us could go to Hell.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:51 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

quick question:
If a manufacturing plant in UK was being subsidised and wasn't making money (so needed more subsidisation) and added to this was heavilly unionised, regular strikes and slowdowns causing even less efficiency and more subsidisation...

what would you do?
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Really?
Well from my personal experience, she turned East Manchester from a heavy engineering and manufacturing hub, to a total wasteland, that its still not and now probably never will, recover from, to this day.

As for "why people just sit and wait for the tide to turn"; Manchester actually depopulated during her terms in office, thousands left. Thousands more didn't have the abilities or, indeed, the finances to leave.
Still, so long as Tory heartlands were doing OK the rest of us could go to Hell.
The IRA did more in 1 day to improve Manchester than Thatcher did. There is a reason for her being despised up north. I remember the 80's up in Manchester (Salford actually) the place was decimated no work and no expectation of getting any. Unfortunately it's become culturally ingrained now.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
quick question:
If a manufacturing plant in UK was being subsidised and wasn't making money (so needed more subsidisation) and added to this was heavilly unionised, regular strikes and slowdowns causing even less efficiency and more subsidisation...

what would you do?
Nice myth. Not everywhere was like the car industry.
Manufacturing was smashed on the alter of high interest rates. Good companies, and I mean REALLY good companies, were pushed over the edge by punitive levels of interest. While other European countries actively supported their industry, the Conservatives decided it wasn't needed and that the country could survive as a nation of financial 'advisors' and hairdressers.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by isgraham
The IRA did more in 1 day to improve Manchester than Thatcher did. There is a reason for her being despised up north. I remember the 80's up in Manchester (Salford actually) the place was decimated no work and no expectation of getting any. Unfortunately it's become culturally ingrained now.
That's the true legacy from that era.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:29 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Nice myth. Not everywhere was like the car industry.
Manufacturing was smashed on the alter of high interest rates. Good companies, and I mean REALLY good companies, were pushed over the edge by punitive levels of interest. While other European countries actively supported their industry, the Conservatives decided it wasn't needed and that the country could survive as a nation of financial 'advisors' and hairdressers.
its not a myth. That's exactly what happened. Thatcher couldn't keep supporting the car and coal industry or the unions who carried on like pork chops every time they were asked to lift their game and improve productivity.

As unsavoury as it was we had to compete on a worldwide platform, especially if we were to join the EU. UK workers at the time were lazy barstewards, industry leaders were no leaders at all they were tosspots who knew nothing about how to manage people, and our industrial laws and guidelines didn't help either as they held no one accountable and didn't change work culture.

So she tightened up on all fronts and as always there were losers and winners mate
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:52 am
Account Closed

its not a myth. That's exactly what happened. Thatcher couldn't keep supporting the car and coal industry or the unions who carried on like pork chops every time they were asked to lift their game and improve productivity.

As unsavoury as it was we had to compete on a worldwide platform, especially if we were to join the EU. UK workers at the time were lazy barstewards, industry leaders were no leaders at all they were tosspots who knew nothing about how to manage people, and our industrial laws and guidelines didn't help either as they held no one accountable and didn't change work culture.

So she tightened up on all fronts and as always there were losers and winners mate
Where does this idea of lazy British workers come from? It's cobblers.. are you lazy?
Germany gives massive subsidies to its mining, always has done and still does to this day despite it being against EU laws... but that's bye the bye.

Winners and losers... well lets just say my city and every other city in the North lost, big time. East Manchester took such a huge hit that the land they built the Commonwealth games stadium on in 2000 had been derelict for 20 years.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

So are you saying Manchester is a worse place today than it was in the 70s and early 80's, there looks to be a lot more wealth in Manchester now than back then. Because of Thatcher Labour had to change or would never have been elected again. I am not saying there were no losers but Manchester back then looked pretty grim.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:02 am

Where does this idea of lazy British workers come from? It's cobblers.. are you lazy?
Germany gives massive subsidies to its mining, always has done and still does to this day despite it being against EU laws... but that's bye the bye.

Winners and losers... well lets just say my city and every other city in the North lost, big time. East Manchester took such a huge hit that the land they built the Commonwealth games stadium on in 2000 had been derelict for 20 years.
This is typical head in sand mate. Woe be me....poor Northerners and that nasty, nasty lady Mrs Thatcher

I'm not saying she wasn't a cow and I'm not saying a lot of people didn't lose out. What I am saying is she had no choice, it couldn't continue mate

You still didn't answer my question. What would you do if workers weren't pulling their weight? If subsidies were getting higher and higher? If unions were creating unnesessary economic pressures due to strikes and slowdowns? And *leaders* were not leading at all, just crisis managing?

At least she had the balls to get us to lift our socks up.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there is a doco on the end of Maggie on TV sunday evening. When i see her now i find it hard to believe she was our leader, how times have changed.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:20 am
Account Closed

This is typical head in sand mate. Woe be me....poor Northerners and that nasty, nasty lady Mrs Thatcher

I'm not saying she wasn't a cow and I'm not saying a lot of people didn't lose out. What I am saying is she had no choice, it couldn't continue mate

You still didn't answer my question. What would you do if workers weren't pulling their weight? If subsidies were getting higher and higher? If unions were creating unnesessary economic pressures due to strikes and slowdowns? And *leaders* were not leading at all, just crisis managing?

I don't know where to start with this for the best. My view on that era obviously doesn't even come close to matching your opinion on it. Lets just say she would have been out on her arse at the first opportunity the country had to vote on her, if it wasn't for the Falklands and leave it at that.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:22 am

I don't know where to start with this for the best. My view on that era obviously doesn't even come close to matching your opinion on it. Lets just say she would have been out on her arse at the first opportunity the country had to vote on her, if it wasn't for the Falklands and leave it at that.
hey, hey....come back....let me bite your ankles

Yep, let's agree to disagree mate
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

I remember very very clearly why Labour got voted in after the 3 day week. I remember very clearly the people in London in offices that I worked in...Brokers/Dealers and all, saying whatever the Miners want just give them... They would never that job, no matter what pay the Miners received.. Enough people down South realised the the hell that Mining was.. Hence the Heath government fell. It was costing the City of London far more than the miners were going to earn... just in profit sharing bonuses That is 100 pct fact. We were lucky at Galbraiths Shipbrokers... when the lights went out, the in house Generators came on. Twas bloody hard getting to work though.

A pure act of treason against the people that were backbone of England.

It actually changed the World the snowball reaction against the Miners and the Unions...Now we have more people than ever that never work, sucking the money out of World economies via investing on accumulated investment money.

Simple associated fact from Melbourne.. what has happened to the 1 million dollar a day profit that the Gas and Fuel used to make for Victoria. ? It's in private investors pockets at the expense of the decent service for Victorian Gas customers and pay for it's employees. This scenario has been repeated around the world... ***** knows where the money is going... seems like a very narrow channel to me. I'm slightly suss about the whole thing.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 2nd 2011 at 11:26 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I am never going back to the uk, ever but the cost of living here is crazy. theres no way I would be this skint in britain - not a chance.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

maggie killed wales, and created a resentful, poor, beaten society. It wasn;t right before her and things had to change but I can never forget what happened to our communities during the mining strike. Scars that can never heal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.