Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by paulry
I hope it goes well for you . At least Madrid to London is do-able overland. We're stuck in Kuala Lumpur right now and it looks like we'll be stuck here for several days.

Yeah it's possible to go overland but trains and ferries are all booked up as well, so we'll probably sit it out for now if it's extended further and check out Madrid.

Hope you're enjoying your little holiday in KL.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

haunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the roughhaunted is a jewel in the rough

I just checked the DIAC website and this is what they're saying at the moment.

Visas, Immigration and Refugees
Flight disruptions in Northern Europe
If you are a visa holder who is affected by the disruption of flights to and from Northern Europe, and your visa is close to its expiry date, please be assured that the department will take these circumstances into account in any consideration of your immigration status.

So that is something not to worry about.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haunted
I just checked the DIAC website and this is what they're saying at the moment.

Visas, Immigration and Refugees
Flight disruptions in Northern Europe
If you are a visa holder who is affected by the disruption of flights to and from Northern Europe, and your visa is close to its expiry date, please be assured that the department will take these circumstances into account in any consideration of your immigration status.

So that is something not to worry about.

Excellent news for you.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

I came home to see Mum who'd had a tumour removed - thankfully she's fine.

I'm due to head back home to Melbourne, OH and the kids tomorrow so I'd be there in plenty of time for my little lad's birthday (Saturday).

Considering getting quite worrried!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
I came home to see Mum who'd had a tumour removed - thankfully she's fine.

I'm due to head back home to Melbourne, OH and the kids tomorrow so I'd be there in plenty of time for my little lad's birthday (Saturday).

Considering getting quite worrried!
Dunno who you are flying with, but the chances of getting out longhaul tomorrow are pretty slim. Qantas have certainly cancelled everything out of Heathrow up to and including Tuesday so far.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Dunno who you are flying with, but the chances of getting out longhaul tomorrow are pretty slim. Qantas have certainly cancelled everything out of Heathrow up to and including Tuesday so far.
I know, I've just told the kids I might not be home, now going to have to organise a birthday party from over here but all his pressies are with me.

Qatar doesn't have a plane in Manchester so if I'm to fly they'll have to have sent one from Doha about 4am UK time so at least I'll be able to check if it's en-route.

Next availability if it's cancelled is Saturday.

Joy!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

UK restrictions extended to 01:00 Monday.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I've just told the kids I might not be home, now going to have to organise a birthday party from over here but all his pressies are with me.

Qatar doesn't have a plane in Manchester so if I'm to fly they'll have to have sent one from Doha about 4am UK time so at least I'll be able to check if it's en-route.

Next availability if it's cancelled is Saturday.

Joy!
Good luck

==================================

For anyone with visa issues -
http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/n...isruptions.htm
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Good luck
Thanks, hope you're still enjoying your extended holiday. C
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
Indeed it is surprising. Given the spread of the cloud - you do wonder when and how it is going to be dispersed enough and even if Europe is cleared will there be a band of it further east which will impact flights going across that area and effectively stop them getting to Europe. If, based on past eruptions, this triggers even bigger eruptions elsewhere in Iceland there could be a whole lot of other stoppages in the not too distant future. A precarious time for airlines and for air passengers at the mo!
Well there seems to be earthquakes popping up all over today, sure they are all interlinked in the build up to a big one of some sort.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Thanks, hope you're still enjoying your extended holiday. C
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Now extended to noon tomorrow UK time.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Well I am really glad we were decisive and postponed our trip for five weeks as soon as we knew our flight was cancelled. Beats hanging around the airport and the uncertainty that goes with that. Will be hoping that it clears soon for everyone still stranded somewhere or other.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:34 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Test flights reveal no damage
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Not Heathrow, still says 1am Monday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.