Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by Pollyana
God thats pretty awful - hadn't looked at that as I am on a paid ticket this time. I shall lose a fair bit financially if I'm stuck, due to losing shift pay at work, but other than that I really wouldn't mind being stuck here for longer. I can find somewhere to stay easily enough, not like I was stranded in Singapore or Hong kong, and tere's nothing work can do about it! First person ever at our place to phone in and say she'll be late due to a volcano
Well, you always were one for a good disaster Polly so what's new?!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Well, you always were one for a good disaster Polly so what's new?!
Its great isnt it!!!
I went through Heathrow coach station on Thursday in the middle of the shutdown, and to save luggage space I was wearing my work jacket (brought it cos its a great waterproof!). It clearly says Emergency Management on the front - and two people came up and asked me when their fligts would now be leaving
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Sorry to hear that you're stuck in Blighty, BS

We're due to fly back to London via Kuala Lumpur tonight. Malaysia Airways told me yesterday that the SYD to KUL leg is still on but they couldn't say if the KUL to LHR portion of the trip would go ahead. The latest news indicates that all flights will be grounded until at least Monday so it looks like we'll have another stopover in Malaysia.

Alfresco, you might as well book another safari

Checked in online for the Joburg to Madrid leg already, so that seems to be going ahead.

May have to slum it in Spain for a few days.

Hope you guys make it back ok.

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 17th 2010 at 10:52 am.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:26 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well after queuing at SIA Singapore office for 6 hours today (am I that daft? I went shopping and popped back a couple of times until my number was almost up) I am about to get on a flight to Istanbul. I shit you not.

I'm edging closer to Europe, at least.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice

hi all, quick update uk airports closed until at least 7.00 am on sunday, the next update is 9.00 pm uk time from sky.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think the process of becoming resigned to it started yesterday morning so my mindset has adjusted and I am not going to fret over it anymore. We have rebooked and are coming out on 24th May instead.

Who are Christine and co? Is there something I need to know about this place..
Hi Bermuda,

sorry to hear that your validation trip has been postponed; I am currently stranded in Hong Kong with my family, trying to return to the UK from Melbourne after our validation trip. The kids are distraught that they won't be going to school on Monday ;-)

Qantas have been excellent so far and have put us up in a posh hotel overlooking Victoria harbour and Hong Kong island with meals paid for...not sure how long this generosity will last but it is appreciated. I have also booked with Trailfinders and have asked them today to clarify what our rights are regarding any travel arrangements we might make. Since Qantas is not EU based, I expect that we are not covered by the EU compensation scheme for travel interruption.

We are treating this as a bonus, unscheduled holiday in Hong Kong where we were originally due to spend 1 hour 45 mins in the airport transfer lounge!

good luck to all affected by this....I have a feeling that this will take some time to resolve itself

Rhubarb65
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

butterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nicebutterfly1234 is just really nice

lastest from sky
no flights until at least 1.00pm uk time on sunday
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by butterfly1234
lastest from sky
no flights until at least 1.00pm uk time on sunday
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle7100541.ece

The grounding of UK flights by volcanic ash cloud has been extended to 7am tomorrow as experts warn eruption could last months.

Millions of airline passengers remain stranded as almost no flights were allowed to take off or land in England and Wales, as well as the entire northern Europe as far east as Finland and Romania.

In new developments today:

• Volcanic dust started to settle lightly in parts of England, the Met Office reported.
Related Links

* Supply and demand, say rail and ferry firms

* Brits find volcano cloud’s silver lining

* Stars caught in the fog of confusion

• British Airways cancelled all its long haul and short haul flights in and out of the UK tomorrow. Ryanair scrapped all its flights to and from Britain and northern Europe until 1pm Monday.

• European officials say the restrictions on air-travel will probably continue into next week. It affects more than 20 countries, although southern Europe is still accepting flights.

• Many passengers have turned to trains, ferries and even taxis to complete their journeys. Both the Eurostar and channel ferries are fully booked.

• The volcanic ash cloud has already cost airlines at least £52 million, Deloitte estimated.

• Some imported fresh fruit and vegetables could soon be in short supply if flight disruption continues into next week, the Freight Transport Association warned. However, major supermarket groups said only a few – if any – exotic varieties would be affected.

Air traffic control company Nats said the dangerous cloud of volcanic ash drifting from Iceland over Europe is “moving around and changing shape”, posing an ongoing risk to planes. The cloud is set to spread over the entire UK after 7pm this evening, according to Met Office forecasts.

The situation worsened throughout today and the flight ban has already been extended from 7pm today to 1am tomorrow and now to 7am. Nats will continue to review the situation and is expected to provide another update at 9pm.

Meanwhile volcanologists warned that the eruptions from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano could last months. The volcano started erupting on Thursday and the resulting plume of ash has now reached a height of three miles, with no signs of decreasing, according to the Icelandic Met Office.

The current activity may also trigger further movement in the region, one scientist said.

Dr Dougal Jerram, of Durham University’s Department of Earth Sciences, said while it was relatively easy to predict when a volcano would erupt, establishing how long it would last was far more difficult. “Some are relatively short-lived, but some are months long. The only thing we can do is wait and continue monitoring the volcanic system. It is one of the phenomena of our planet which we just have to marvel at.”

Even if the volcano continues erupting, a change in weather conditions could reduce the effect of the resulting cloud on flights.

The natural disaster has affected millions of passengers who are either stranded abroad or unable to take their scheduled flights.

In Britain the Met Office has detected a fine layer of ash dust at stations in Swindon, Brize Norton, Peterborough, Leeds and Stoke on Trent. “Evidence of ash dust over the UK is being detected by Met Office observations and there are reports of dust reaching the ground,” a spokesman said.

The volcanic particles are not thought to pose any serious health risks, but the British Lung Foundation advised people with a lung condition in affected areas to carry their medication as a precaution.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pproehann
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle7100541.ece

The grounding of UK flights by volcanic ash cloud has been extended to 7am tomorrow as experts warn eruption could last months.

Millions of airline passengers remain stranded as almost no flights were allowed to take off or land in England and Wales, as well as the entire northern Europe as far east as Finland and Romania.

In new developments today:

• Volcanic dust started to settle lightly in parts of England, the Met Office reported.
Related Links

* Supply and demand, say rail and ferry firms

* Brits find volcano cloud’s silver lining

* Stars caught in the fog of confusion

• British Airways cancelled all its long haul and short haul flights in and out of the UK tomorrow. Ryanair scrapped all its flights to and from Britain and northern Europe until 1pm Monday.

• European officials say the restrictions on air-travel will probably continue into next week. It affects more than 20 countries, although southern Europe is still accepting flights.

• Many passengers have turned to trains, ferries and even taxis to complete their journeys. Both the Eurostar and channel ferries are fully booked.

• The volcanic ash cloud has already cost airlines at least £52 million, Deloitte estimated.

• Some imported fresh fruit and vegetables could soon be in short supply if flight disruption continues into next week, the Freight Transport Association warned. However, major supermarket groups said only a few – if any – exotic varieties would be affected.

Air traffic control company Nats said the dangerous cloud of volcanic ash drifting from Iceland over Europe is “moving around and changing shape”, posing an ongoing risk to planes. The cloud is set to spread over the entire UK after 7pm this evening, according to Met Office forecasts.

The situation worsened throughout today and the flight ban has already been extended from 7pm today to 1am tomorrow and now to 7am. Nats will continue to review the situation and is expected to provide another update at 9pm.

Meanwhile volcanologists warned that the eruptions from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano could last months. The volcano started erupting on Thursday and the resulting plume of ash has now reached a height of three miles, with no signs of decreasing, according to the Icelandic Met Office.

The current activity may also trigger further movement in the region, one scientist said.

Dr Dougal Jerram, of Durham University’s Department of Earth Sciences, said while it was relatively easy to predict when a volcano would erupt, establishing how long it would last was far more difficult. “Some are relatively short-lived, but some are months long. The only thing we can do is wait and continue monitoring the volcanic system. It is one of the phenomena of our planet which we just have to marvel at.”

Even if the volcano continues erupting, a change in weather conditions could reduce the effect of the resulting cloud on flights.

The natural disaster has affected millions of passengers who are either stranded abroad or unable to take their scheduled flights.

In Britain the Met Office has detected a fine layer of ash dust at stations in Swindon, Brize Norton, Peterborough, Leeds and Stoke on Trent. “Evidence of ash dust over the UK is being detected by Met Office observations and there are reports of dust reaching the ground,” a spokesman said.

The volcanic particles are not thought to pose any serious health risks, but the British Lung Foundation advised people with a lung condition in affected areas to carry their medication as a precaution.
i think you will find its 1.00pm sunday.. as this is the lastest with sky news
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

mavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
All closed?? But I am on my way to heathrow today to start my visa validation trip!!
we are in the same boat. We were supposed to go on a validation trip to Sydney today on british airways but the flight was canceled and I have managed to change the booking to 21 April.
Keeping in mind that our visa must be validated before the 28th of April and that the flight on the 21st could also be canceled, we have made another booking (scheduled on the 24th) using Etihad airways as a backup plan.

I forgot to mention that we fly from the middle east

Last edited by mavios; Apr 17th 2010 at 9:23 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by butterfly1234
i think you will find its 1.00pm sunday.. as this is the lastest with sky news
The times times not mine, but it's amazing the disruption this one's caused when it's not even a biggy on the volcano front.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pproehann
The times times not mine, but it's amazing the disruption this one's caused when it's not even a biggy on the volcano front.
Indeed it is surprising. Given the spread of the cloud - you do wonder when and how it is going to be dispersed enough and even if Europe is cleared will there be a band of it further east which will impact flights going across that area and effectively stop them getting to Europe. If, based on past eruptions, this triggers even bigger eruptions elsewhere in Iceland there could be a whole lot of other stoppages in the not too distant future. A precarious time for airlines and for air passengers at the mo!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

UK airspace restricted until 19:00 Sunday now.

We fly to Madrid tonight. Maybe the UK restriction will be longer tomorrow and we can spend a couple of unscheduled days in Spain.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:55 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Checked in online for the Joburg to Madrid leg already, so that seems to be going ahead.

May have to slum it in Spain for a few days.

Hope you guys make it back ok.
I hope it goes well for you . At least Madrid to London is do-able overland. We're stuck in Kuala Lumpur right now and it looks like we'll be stuck here for several days.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mavios
we are in the same boat. We were supposed to go on a validation trip to Sydney today on british airways but the flight was canceled and I have managed to change the booking to 21 April.
Keeping in mind that our visa must be validated before the 28th of April and that the flight on the 21st could also be canceled, we have made another booking (scheduled on the 24th) using Etihad airways as a backup plan.

I forgot to mention that we fly from the middle east
Mavios, maybe you need to contact DIAC explaining your situation and ask for an extension?

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.