British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/uk-flights-airports-shutdown-up-3-days-664113/)

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 8:55 am

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

UK flights/Airports shutdown country wide for up to 3 days due to Icelandic Volcanic Ash.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 9:01 am

Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by pproehann (Post 8497810)
UK flights/Airports shutdown country wide for up to 3 days due to Icelandic Volcanic Ash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

Why couldn't it happen NEXT week!

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8497829)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

Why couldn't it happen NEXT week!

It hasn't stopped errupting yet so you may still be in luck..fingers crossed for you.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 9:47 am

Originally Posted by pproehann (Post 8497896)
It hasn't stopped errupting yet so you may still be in luck..fingers crossed for you.

If they start offering money for people to delay their flights I'll be first in the queue! Pick me, pick me :lol:

Bernieboy Apr 15th 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8497934)
If they start offering money for people to delay their flights I'll be first in the queue! Pick me, pick me :lol:

Whatever they offer i will double it too the airline to TAKE you:lol:

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8497936)
Whatever they offer i will double it too the airline to TAKE you:lol:

You're just rotten!!! I shall heckle loudly at your next karaoke song :lol: AND set my scary niece on you :sneaky:

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 10:05 am

All closed?? But I am on my way to heathrow today to start my visa validation trip!!

xzibit Apr 15th 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8497971)
All closed?? But I am on my way to heathrow today to start my visa validation trip!!

Heathrow are supposedly cancelling all flights from midday. I would check with your airline.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 10:17 am

FERK!!!! Ring your airline NOW!

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 10:18 am

Sky news UK definitely said ring your airline/airport but apparantly volcanic ash is a well known plane clogger which equals crash.

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 10:26 am

Airline are uncontactable (engaged constantly). We are staying at airport hotel tonight and due to fly lunchtime tomorrow. Just going to go down and see what happens, my hotel is paid for already so might as well. :-(

Bernieboy Apr 15th 2010 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8498016)
Airline are uncontactable (engaged constantly). We are staying at airport hotel tonight and due to fly lunchtime tomorrow. Just going to go down and see what happens, my hotel is paid for already so might as well. :-(

According to the news on ITV the flights are restarting at 1800 tonight,so hopefully you will be fine tomorrow:thumbup:

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8498016)

Good luck, it will all depend on cloud thickness, speed, direction etc..

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8498049)
According to the news on ITV the flights are restarting at 1800 tonight,so hopefully you will be fine tomorrow:thumbup:

Yep, fingers crossed.
I remember the BA 747 that had 4 engines shut down due to being clogged with ash, so I can see why they are taking this seriously.

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 10:52 am

Thanks peeps. Yes I can understand why they take it seriously too and wouldn't want to take a chance. It is my 40th birthday too, was supposed to be spending it in the FourSeasons hotel and having dinner overlooking harbour and opera house. Now maybe I have holiday inn at heathrow to look forward to. Oh well, I will look back and laugh.