British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/uk-flights-airports-shutdown-up-3-days-664113/)

Wol Apr 15th 2010 11:27 am

Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Both the BA 11 and BA 15 have been cancelled for Thursday evening.

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8498088)
Thanks peeps. Yes I can understand why they take it seriously too and wouldn't want to take a chance. It is my 40th birthday too, was supposed to be spending it in the FourSeasons hotel and having dinner overlooking harbour and opera house. Now maybe I have holiday inn at heathrow to look forward to. Oh well, I will look back and laugh.

That's a shame maybe it'll break up a bit overnight.

Wilgar Apr 15th 2010 12:27 pm

Friends of ours are flying back to UK this eve after a holiday in Oz. I wonder if they`ll be able to land at LHR tomorrow.

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 12:48 pm

BA have grounded all flights until at least 6.30am. It is just until 6pm tonight for the airport in general at the moment. We are on Cathay CX 252 tomorrow. I saw it managed to get out today as it went 45 mins early before they shut airport. Just crossing my fingers now.

xzibit Apr 15th 2010 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Wilgar (Post 8498293)
Friends of ours are flying back to UK this eve after a holiday in Oz. I wonder if they`ll be able to land at LHR tomorrow.

The airspace is going to be reviewed at 18.00BST and may not open again until tomorrow. They may be lucky, but not sure if they will dispatch flights from the stopover (SIN, HKG) until airspace is open again?

Dougie Apr 15th 2010 1:09 pm

Apparently last time this Volcaneo erupted 189 years ago it kept erupting...............For another 18 months !!:eek:

Dougie

scottishcelts Apr 15th 2010 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE (Post 8498394)
Apparently last time this Volcaneo erupted 189 years ago it kept erupting...............For another 18 months !!:eek:

Dougie

Dougie

How are ya? :thumbsup:

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 1:37 pm

Thank you Dougie for those reassuring words. :-)

xzibit Apr 15th 2010 1:45 pm

UK airspace now closed until 7am tomorrow. It's possible they'll keep it closed too if the winds are still bringing the ash towards us.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

If the volcano erupts as long as last time, then northern Europe could have intermittent closures for a very long time.

Cheetah7 Apr 15th 2010 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by xzibit (Post 8498476)
UK airspace now closed until 7am tomorrow. It's possible they'll keep it closed too if the winds are still bringing the ash towards us.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

If the volcano erupts as long as last time, then northern Europe could have intermittent closures for a very long time.

Glad Im not flying there. I wonder how long they can keep airports shut for and how quickly the winds can change to cause flights to be cancelled?

I feel very sorry for anyone who is affected by this.

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 2:31 pm

My travel agent (Trailfinders) has just told me that it looks very unlikely that my plane will go tomorrow as the plane will be in the wrong place even if airspace is re-opened. And furthermore there are no seats whatsoever on their flights up until Wednesday next week. It is my 40th on Monday. My plans are ruined. Boo hoo. :-(

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8498574)
My travel agent (Trailfinders) has just told me that it looks very unlikely that my plane will go tomorrow as the plane will be in the wrong place even if airspace is re-opened. And furthermore there are no seats whatsoever on their flights up until Wednesday next week. It is my 40th on Monday. My plans are ruined. Boo hoo. :-(

Terrible sorry, is there some where you can have a nice evening there close by?

freebo Apr 15th 2010 3:12 pm

So sorry for you Bermuda, at least you're safe and if you don't make it out in time try to arrange something special over here. Just saw someone on TV who can't go on honeymoon. :fingerscrossed: for 8PM tonight.

bcworld Apr 15th 2010 3:18 pm

Really awful BS! :(

Cathay have an update on their website:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_AU/specialupdates

It looks like the inbound CX255 to London which I think will be your plane is currently delayed nearly 11 hours - if it does make it in not sure which flight it would end up operating back out though. Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

chris1386 Apr 15th 2010 4:19 pm

Hey Bermuda, that really sucks, so sorry for you, we fly next thursday.... Maybe ???