British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/uk-flights-airports-shutdown-up-3-days-664113/)

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 8:55 am

UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

UK flights/Airports shutdown country wide for up to 3 days due to Icelandic Volcanic Ash.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 9:01 am

Re: UK flights/Airports shutdown for up to 3 days

Originally Posted by pproehann (Post 8497810)
UK flights/Airports shutdown country wide for up to 3 days due to Icelandic Volcanic Ash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

Why couldn't it happen NEXT week!

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8497829)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

Why couldn't it happen NEXT week!

It hasn't stopped errupting yet so you may still be in luck..fingers crossed for you.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 9:47 am

Originally Posted by pproehann (Post 8497896)
It hasn't stopped errupting yet so you may still be in luck..fingers crossed for you.

If they start offering money for people to delay their flights I'll be first in the queue! Pick me, pick me :lol:

Bernieboy Apr 15th 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8497934)
If they start offering money for people to delay their flights I'll be first in the queue! Pick me, pick me :lol:

Whatever they offer i will double it too the airline to TAKE you:lol:

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8497936)
Whatever they offer i will double it too the airline to TAKE you:lol:

You're just rotten!!! I shall heckle loudly at your next karaoke song :lol: AND set my scary niece on you :sneaky:

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 10:05 am

All closed?? But I am on my way to heathrow today to start my visa validation trip!!

xzibit Apr 15th 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8497971)
All closed?? But I am on my way to heathrow today to start my visa validation trip!!

Heathrow are supposedly cancelling all flights from midday. I would check with your airline.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 10:17 am

FERK!!!! Ring your airline NOW!

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 10:18 am

Sky news UK definitely said ring your airline/airport but apparantly volcanic ash is a well known plane clogger which equals crash.

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 10:26 am

Airline are uncontactable (engaged constantly). We are staying at airport hotel tonight and due to fly lunchtime tomorrow. Just going to go down and see what happens, my hotel is paid for already so might as well. :-(

Bernieboy Apr 15th 2010 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8498016)
Airline are uncontactable (engaged constantly). We are staying at airport hotel tonight and due to fly lunchtime tomorrow. Just going to go down and see what happens, my hotel is paid for already so might as well. :-(

According to the news on ITV the flights are restarting at 1800 tonight,so hopefully you will be fine tomorrow:thumbup:

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8498016)

Good luck, it will all depend on cloud thickness, speed, direction etc..

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8498049)
According to the news on ITV the flights are restarting at 1800 tonight,so hopefully you will be fine tomorrow:thumbup:

Yep, fingers crossed.
I remember the BA 747 that had 4 engines shut down due to being clogged with ash, so I can see why they are taking this seriously.

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 10:52 am

Thanks peeps. Yes I can understand why they take it seriously too and wouldn't want to take a chance. It is my 40th birthday too, was supposed to be spending it in the FourSeasons hotel and having dinner overlooking harbour and opera house. Now maybe I have holiday inn at heathrow to look forward to. Oh well, I will look back and laugh.

Wol Apr 15th 2010 11:27 am

Both the BA 11 and BA 15 have been cancelled for Thursday evening.

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8498088)
Thanks peeps. Yes I can understand why they take it seriously too and wouldn't want to take a chance. It is my 40th birthday too, was supposed to be spending it in the FourSeasons hotel and having dinner overlooking harbour and opera house. Now maybe I have holiday inn at heathrow to look forward to. Oh well, I will look back and laugh.

That's a shame maybe it'll break up a bit overnight.

Wilgar Apr 15th 2010 12:27 pm

Friends of ours are flying back to UK this eve after a holiday in Oz. I wonder if they`ll be able to land at LHR tomorrow.

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 12:48 pm

BA have grounded all flights until at least 6.30am. It is just until 6pm tonight for the airport in general at the moment. We are on Cathay CX 252 tomorrow. I saw it managed to get out today as it went 45 mins early before they shut airport. Just crossing my fingers now.

xzibit Apr 15th 2010 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Wilgar (Post 8498293)
Friends of ours are flying back to UK this eve after a holiday in Oz. I wonder if they`ll be able to land at LHR tomorrow.

The airspace is going to be reviewed at 18.00BST and may not open again until tomorrow. They may be lucky, but not sure if they will dispatch flights from the stopover (SIN, HKG) until airspace is open again?

Dougie Apr 15th 2010 1:09 pm

Apparently last time this Volcaneo erupted 189 years ago it kept erupting...............For another 18 months !!:eek:

Dougie

scottishcelts Apr 15th 2010 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE (Post 8498394)
Apparently last time this Volcaneo erupted 189 years ago it kept erupting...............For another 18 months !!:eek:

Dougie

Dougie

How are ya? :thumbsup:

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 1:37 pm

Thank you Dougie for those reassuring words. :-)

xzibit Apr 15th 2010 1:45 pm

UK airspace now closed until 7am tomorrow. It's possible they'll keep it closed too if the winds are still bringing the ash towards us.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

If the volcano erupts as long as last time, then northern Europe could have intermittent closures for a very long time.

Cheetah7 Apr 15th 2010 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by xzibit (Post 8498476)
UK airspace now closed until 7am tomorrow. It's possible they'll keep it closed too if the winds are still bringing the ash towards us.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

If the volcano erupts as long as last time, then northern Europe could have intermittent closures for a very long time.

Glad Im not flying there. I wonder how long they can keep airports shut for and how quickly the winds can change to cause flights to be cancelled?

I feel very sorry for anyone who is affected by this.

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 2:31 pm

My travel agent (Trailfinders) has just told me that it looks very unlikely that my plane will go tomorrow as the plane will be in the wrong place even if airspace is re-opened. And furthermore there are no seats whatsoever on their flights up until Wednesday next week. It is my 40th on Monday. My plans are ruined. Boo hoo. :-(

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8498574)
My travel agent (Trailfinders) has just told me that it looks very unlikely that my plane will go tomorrow as the plane will be in the wrong place even if airspace is re-opened. And furthermore there are no seats whatsoever on their flights up until Wednesday next week. It is my 40th on Monday. My plans are ruined. Boo hoo. :-(

Terrible sorry, is there some where you can have a nice evening there close by?

freebo Apr 15th 2010 3:12 pm

So sorry for you Bermuda, at least you're safe and if you don't make it out in time try to arrange something special over here. Just saw someone on TV who can't go on honeymoon. :fingerscrossed: for 8PM tonight.

bcworld Apr 15th 2010 3:18 pm

Really awful BS! :(

Cathay have an update on their website:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_AU/specialupdates

It looks like the inbound CX255 to London which I think will be your plane is currently delayed nearly 11 hours - if it does make it in not sure which flight it would end up operating back out though. Good luck! :fingerscrossed:

chris1386 Apr 15th 2010 4:19 pm

Hey Bermuda, that really sucks, so sorry for you, we fly next thursday.... Maybe ???

Bermudashorts Apr 15th 2010 6:12 pm

Well I'm in Sofitel, halfway down a bottle of sauvignon, I think I will just have to wait, cross fingers and see what tomorrow brings.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 6:17 pm

Came through Heathrow coach station this afternoon, so eerie. Not a plane in the sky, no traffic on the roads, just like something out of a Sci Fi movie :eek:

pproehann Apr 15th 2010 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8499096)
Came through Heathrow coach station this afternoon, so eerie. Not a plane in the sky, no traffic on the roads, just like something out of a Sci Fi movie :eek:

You've always got the broom option but if you were due to fly back next week does sound like you'll get a dew extra days while they sort it all out.

Kooky. Apr 15th 2010 9:01 pm

Well you'll turn 40 wherever you are, Bermudashorts, ain't no way of avoiding that one! Hope you manage to have a celebration regardless - Sydney will wait.

There are at least two threads on this - any chance they could be combined? I'm currently trying to get flights and every bit of info helps.

Pollyana Apr 15th 2010 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by pproehann (Post 8499327)
You've always got the broom option but if you were due to fly back next week does sound like you'll get a dew extra days while they sort it all out.

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: :thumbsup::wub:

sasbear Apr 15th 2010 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8499466)
:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: :thumbsup::wub:

I was woken at 4.15 this morning with this news too.

FIL was due to leave Manchester Friday AM UK time - have had to rebook so now set for Monday AM - but as I paid for the tickets I have to do all the rebooking.

I hope he can get out on the Monday as he has now lost 3 days of his holiday....not to mention the slaughter of my lamb that could have lived a little longer. Chops for the BBQ that will now be a week late - so look like having to freeze the bloody stuff:(

Bermudashorts Apr 16th 2010 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 8499463)
Well you'll turn 40 wherever you are, Bermudashorts, ain't no way of avoiding that one! Hope you manage to have a celebration regardless - Sydney will wait.

Well I have just booked a taxi to pick me up from Heathrow and take me home. :(

Have spoken to Trailfinders and we are going to rebook for next month once hubby can sort his days off out, you're quite right Seasider, Sydney will wait.

I am being taken here for my 40th instead. :thumbup:

http://www.clivedenhouse.co.uk/default.asp

Wol Apr 16th 2010 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8500553)

Have spoken to Trailfinders and we are going to rebook for next month once hubby can sort his days off out, you're quite right Seasider, Sydney will wait.

Enjoy the enforced delay!

(I assume that Cliveden has cleaned up its act since Christine and co. used it <g>.)

mikelincs Apr 16th 2010 8:57 am

Current situation is no flights till at least 1 pm Saturday UK time.

Alfresco Apr 16th 2010 9:03 am

We are due to fly back to London on Sunday evening (Iberia). Hope it's all sorted by then and not hovering over Spain. :(

Although a few extra days of warmth here wouldn't be bad. I'll miss a few days of work too. :D

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8500553)

Sorry to hear your validation flight woes BS. Hope it turns out well in the end.

Happy Birthday for Monday. :cake: