Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Which of these is true today?

Which of these is true today?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:04 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which of these is true today?

Originally Posted by renth
Now you have proved you don't know what you are talking about.

Why exactly did you come? what's keeping you from leaving and would you like a lift to the airport?
No, I haven't proved that at all.

Didn't say there was no music scene here. Said it's not on the scale of the UK. Which it isn't. If it was, then we'd have as many internationally respected Australian bands as we do British ones. Which we don't.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:05 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Look at Renth's initial post. If you find that offensive then you are very thin skinned. If you are genuinely on here for support & fellowship, I'd advise you take time out before you reply to a post. Your posts seem to be more agressive than most.
So you find nothing wrong with the ''do you want a life to the airport?'' or whatever it was?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Look at Renth's initial post. If you find that offensive then you are very thin skinned. If you are genuinely on here for support & fellowship, I'd advise you take time out before you reply to a post. Your posts seem to be more agressive than most.
I find it hard not to point out the inherent unfairness of those who are so intolerant and impatient and dismissive when someone doesn't like Australia.

I am allowed to not like it.

I am allowed to not like it but remain living here if I cannot easily leave.

I am allowed to say that I don't like it.

I do not expect to be interrogated/attacked for saying that I don't like it.

That is my take on this website. What is yours?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Let's be fair, the whole 'lift to the airport' thing was uncalled for.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by willamos
I find it hard not to point out the inherent unfairness of those who are so intolerant and impatient and dismissive when someone doesn't like Australia.

I am allowed to not like it.

I am allowed to not like it but remain living here if I cannot easily leave.

I am allowed to say that I don't like it.

I do not expect to be interrogated/attacked for saying that I don't like it.

That is my take on this website. What is yours?
Yes you are allowed to say what you want, go for it.

Some peeps just hate that fact that some of us don't rate OZ...so that is their problem.

INNIT
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Let's be fair, the whole 'lift to the airport' thing was uncalled for.
Thank you, mate. Thank you.

The message I inferred from that is basically ''you don't like my beloved Australia so kindly get out fast''.

I think that is what the poster in question was actually trying to imply, too, quite knowingly and deliberately.

That's why I got irritated by it. They were being dismissive and cocky. But everyone chose to side with the poster in question and get stuck into me.

Which tells me a lot about what to expect on this website, unfortunately.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is a major point - people who hate/dislike/are bored with Australia yet still live here. I've never understood this and never will, and there are so many on this website who are like this.

Be where you are happy - it's not rocket science or difficult to achieve.
Sorry mate but that's just simplistic nonsense... there has been many a time in the past where if my personal circumstances had allowed I would have been on the first flight available... but my personal circumstances didn't allow. I have a family to support, the need to keep a roof over their and my heads... and just chucking it all in because I didn't like the place wasn't an option.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Yes you are allowed to say what you want, go for it.

Some peeps just hate that fact that some of us don't rate OZ...so that is their problem.

INNIT
Thank you. It doesn't seem worth bothering though. The voice of those who love it is loud and dominant it would appear and you are likely to get ridiculed and insulted if you dare to say that you are not thrilled by Australian life.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

If it was any of your business, I might tell you. If your first post directed at me hadn't been a conceited, self-satisfied, smug attempt at humour, I might tell you.

Those two factors not being in place, I shan't.
Oooooh! Come ON! Tell us tell us tell us tell us tell us . . .

NOTE: You may have already but I can't be arsed to read the other four pages.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Sorry mate but that's just simplistic nonsense... there has been many a time in the past where if my personal circumstances had allowed I would have been on the first flight available... but my personal circumstances didn't allow. I have a family to support, the need to keep a roof over their and my heads... and just chucking it all in because I didn't like the place wasn't an option.

Thank you. Thank you. Well said.

Who are all these people who say ''well, go on then, if you don't like Australia, p*** off then''??

Don't they have responsibilities of any kind? Do they not have commitments? Do they have infinite resources with which to please themselves?

Fancy saying ''it's not rocket science''.

You really made yourself look quite foolish there, Amazulu. Sorry.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mate. Really appreciate your words of support. When you try and talk about your feelings about where you live and people just interrogate you, basically demanding an explanation as if you have done something wrong for not agreeing with their point of view, it is really depressing.

What? Do people think that someone would live somewhere they don't like just so that they can be a member of this website and moan about it?!

Get real people. Use your common sense. Not everyone has freedom to just go ''nah, don't like it here'' and bugger off home again. Life is not like that for many people.

If you happen to be that free to go wherever you please you should consider yourself very lucky.

You feel alone in how you feel and come on here for support and comradeship and you just get attacked and interrogated and mocked. Then, if you dare to retaliate, you get called all kinds of unnecessary and rude names. Then these people think they are morally better than you somehow.
Sorry mate but this is the wrong board to come onto and have a pop at Australia and expect much in the way of support. There was a time when many of the posters in this forum had the nickname of "Godzoners" and it suited them perfectly....

All I can offer is that your current feelings about Oz may pass with time. A couple of years back I loathed the place. That's not the case anymore... but I will back you to the hilt when you say Australia is "dull". I moved from a major city in the UK to regional Australia and dull is a very apt description... I just got used to it.

Oh and before anybody comes on and says I should move to somewhere else in Australia... and only boring people find places boring.... I have heard it all before so save your breath.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:25 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Thank you. Well said.

Who are all these people who say ''well, go on then, if you don't like Australia, p*** off then''??

Don't they have responsibilities of any kind? Do they not have commitments? Do they have infinite resources with which to please themselves?

Fancy saying ''it's not rocket science''.

You really made yourself look quite foolish there, Amazulu. Sorry.
Are you making plans to leave? It's a good time to move from Australia to the UK, property and exchange rate wise.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

A general comment. Debate is fine but pack in the personal insults please. You know the deal.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Sorry mate but this is the wrong board to come onto and have a pop at Australia and expect much in the way of support. There was a time when many of the posters in this forum had the nickname of "Godzoners" and it suited them perfectly....

All I can offer is that your current feelings about Oz may pass with time. A couple of years back I loathed the place. That's not the case anymore... but I will back you to the hilt when you say Australia is "dull". I moved from a major city in the UK to regional Australia and dull is a very apt description... I just got used to it.

Oh and before anybody comes on and says I should move to somewhere else in Australia... and only boring people find places boring.... I have heard it all before so save your breath.
The people who defend Australia are so predictable; they always try and imply that it is in fact YOUR FAULT that you don't like Australia. So by the same 'logic' it was THEIR FAULT that they didn't like the UK, surely.

I get tired of being made to feel 'wrong' for not being in love with life in Australia. Why do people feel that they have the right to do that?

About the dullness. It just seems like nothing is actually taking place in Australia. It's just suburbia and bush. Big houses and coffee. The beach and a suntan.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by paulry
Are you making plans to leave? It's a good time to move from Australia to the UK, property and exchange rate wise.
Not in a position to leave. Too many commitments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.