Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Which of these is true today?

Which of these is true today?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:42 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which of these is true today?

Following on from a discussion about the '' Aussies are laid-back'' myth in another thread, which of the supposed ''big advantages'' that everyone seems to still believe in (until they actually get here and open their eyes!) is actually true?

I think that thread is basically concluding that the laid-back thing is really just a myth; Aussies are not more laid back than Brits.

But what about cost of living? Housing? Shopping? Weather? Friendliness? Quality of life? Schools? Medical care? etc etc etc.

Discuss!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Which of these is true today?

• Weather is better for the most, apart from those insanely hot days.
  • I'd say standard of living is better
  • Less traffic
  • Petrol cheaper
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think its been established either way whether its a myth......I think Aussies are too laid back except when it comes to sport and general macho things. As far as lifestyle goes, things are speeding up over here and the treadmills getting ever faster.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:47 am
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
  • Weather is better for the most, apart from those insanely hot days.
  • I'd say standard of living is better
  • Less traffic
  • Petrol cheaper
Could you be more specific regarding ''standard of living is better''? That's quite a big statement without clarification of exactly how!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I dont think its been established either way whether its a myth......I think Aussies are too laid back except when it comes to sport and general macho things. As far as lifestyle goes, things are speeding up over here and the treadmills getting ever faster.
I wonder how many of Australia's ''advantages'' will disappear now that we live in a more globalised world? Perhaps a lot of these ''advantages'' have been due to Australia, without being rude, being a little ''behind'' places like the UK? I reckon it could be a lot to do with that.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
I wonder how many of Australia's ''advantages'' will disappear now that we live in a more globalised world? Perhaps a lot of these ''advantages'' have been due to Australia, without being rude, being a little ''behind'' places like the UK? I reckon it could be a lot to do with that.

As this country tries to compete in a globalised world, the trade off is that it loses the charm it used to have eg; barefoot beachbum, not a care in the world blah blah blah.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Could you be more specific regarding ''standard of living is better''? That's quite a big statement without clarification of exactly how!
It was pretty much a direct response to the 'quality of life' bit in your original post.

It's hard to explain. I love London and the UK, but I certainly feel more relaxed here, and seem to have more free-time on my hands. I'm sure this is down to how long the commute took me in London compared to here. So as far as that goes it's a purely personal thing.

There's also the better weather, which allows you to get out more and not be restricted in recreational pursuits.

Plus we, as a couple, go 'out' more. To restaurants etc. It just seems a little cheaper to do that here, and easier. Which is surprising coming from an area of London that had some fantastic restaurants. Again, this may come down to getting home earlier from work/not feeling so tired.

However, in saying all that. I miss the 'buzz' of London/the UK so very much.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:02 am
Banned

It was pretty much a direct response to the 'quality of life' bit in your original post.

It's hard to explain. I love London and the UK, but I certainly feel more relaxed here, and seem to have more free-time on my hands. I'm sure this is down to how long the commute took me in London compared to here. So as far as that goes it's a purely personal thing.

There's also the better weather, which allows you to get out more and not be restricted in recreational pursuits.

Plus we, as a couple, go 'out' more. To restaurants etc. It just seems a little cheaper to do that here, and easier. Which is surprising coming from an area of London that had some fantastic restaurants. Again, this may come down to getting home earlier from work/not feeling so tired.

However, in saying all that. I miss the 'buzz' of London/the UK so very much.
This is my BIG problem! I just find it so damn dull here! It feels really monotonous and tedious to me.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, I can sympathise. But don't say it too loudly or you'll get jumped on!

I totally appreciate what people see in Perth, and as I said it has some great positives. But I'm a Londoner born and bred, and am used to hustle and bustle etc.

Believe me, commuting up and down from Perth to Wanneroo everyday is a serious soul destroyer! heheh.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

This is my BIG problem! I just find it so damn dull here! It feels really monotonous and tedious to me.
Where are you from originally.

Good old ABC2. I caught a doco the other day that explained the differences between the way peoples brains function depending on whether theyre from the city or country. Its a big step going from being 'switched on' all the time to basically 'switching off or to a lower gear' when you move overseas. That goes part of the way to explaining these feelings and is what I class as 'culture shock'.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Where are you from originally.

Good old ABC2. I caught a doco the other day that explained the differences between the way peoples brains function depending on whether theyre from the city or country. Its a big step going from being 'switched on' all the time to basically 'switching off or to a lower gear' when you move overseas. That goes part of the way to explaining these feelings and is what I class as 'culture shock'.
With all due respect, I actually don't think it's to do with where you originally come from.

It's due to personality and interests. I've always loved popular culture. Music especially. No music scene here. At least, not compared to the UK. No big events like Spike Island or Glastonbury. No seminal moments. It all just ticks over quietly. If you didn't look for it in Australia, you wouldn't even know stuff was there. In the UK, even people who AREN'T into things like popular music know a bit about it. There's a national consciousness. Things like Christmas #1 etc. Who cares about that in Australia? It's so disparate. Look at all the magazines in the UK. Q, Uncut, Mojo, Word. What's Australia got?

Other things like looking around a beautiful old Cathedral are just not there for you in Australia. Always got a kick out of being somewhere a bit old and spooky and thinking about the centuries of history.

However, if going outside (to do whatever) is your big thing, you probably love Australia cos of it's increased sunshine and decreased cloud and rain. Fair enough.

It's to do with tastes and interests and priorities.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:16 am
Banned

Yeah, I can sympathise. But don't say it too loudly or you'll get jumped on!

I totally appreciate what people see in Perth, and as I said it has some great positives. But I'm a Londoner born and bred, and am used to hustle and bustle etc.

Believe me, commuting up and down from Perth to Wanneroo everyday is a serious soul destroyer! heheh.
Australia, to me, is bland and sparse and empty and rather lifeless.

Sorry, Australia lovers, can't help it.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

With all due respect, I actually don't think it's to do with where you originally come from.

It's due to personality and interests. I've always loved popular culture. Music especially. No music scene here. At least, not compared to the UK. No big events like Spike Island or Glastonbury. No seminal moments. It all just ticks over quietly. If you didn't look for it in Australia, you wouldn't even know stuff was there. In the UK, even people who AREN'T into things like popular music know a bit about it. There's a national consciousness. Things like Christmas #1 etc. Who cares about that in Australia? It's so disparate. Look at all the magazines in the UK. Q, Uncut, Mojo, Word. What's Australia got?

Other things like looking around a beautiful old Cathedral are just not there for you in Australia. Always got a kick out of being somewhere a bit old and spooky and thinking about the centuries of history.

However, if going outside (to do whatever) is your big thing, you probably love Australia cos of it's increased sunshine and decreased cloud and rain. Fair enough.

It's to do with tastes and interests and priorities.

Tell me about it.

Music is my passion, but also a big part of it is going from a city like London to a country town/city like Adelaide. The differences are very stark.

As for the weather, I love it when its overcast, warm and it pisses down!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Hmm methinks I have found a couple of soul-mates on BE!

/passes round the tin hats for the inevitable fallout hehehe.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmm methinks I have found a couple of soul-mates on BE!

/passes round the tin hats for the inevitable fallout hehehe.

Hehehe indeed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.