Wikiposts

Shark Cull Begins

Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:48 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shark Cull Begins

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
Yes, nets and drumlines have been used in other states for a long time, so the outrage here and interstate about the new WA govt policy is ridiculous.
True, but it is acknowledged that nets and drum lines ensnare and kill creatures such as whales etc,that weren't targeted.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:50 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Not that I agree with your stance on this, but if I did I'd be asking who amongst your critics morteins their house to kill all those little nasties that can do you some damage.

Hypocrisy comes in all shapes and sizes
.... but those little nasties aren't an apex predator that keeps the rest of the ocean ecology in balance......
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:17 pm

Not coming in close to the shoreline and killing people. Yes, there is a stupidly high 'level of pumped up hysteria' from the shark lovers.
Well, why shouldn't sharks come in close to the shoreline? If their natural food source goes in close , why shouldn't the sharks follow it in....and I'm not talking about people. If people go swimming at beaches that have a food source (seals etc), especially with warning signs posted, no excuse. On average only 3 to 4 people per year have been attacked by sharks since records were started in 1791 in Australia.

BTW, just to save you going off the deep end, I'm not a shark hugger, lover or what ever, just someone trying to put over a logical defence for the shark to a knee-jerk reaction by the government, but as you are obviously not open to seeing the other side of the argument, it would be very difficult to convince you that this is indeed a knee jerk reaction.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Just got back from the protest at Cottesloe it was great. There were easily twice as many people as last time.
Excellent, hopefully with enough public pressure this absurd policy will be stopped.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
.... but those little nasties aren't an apex predator that keeps the rest of the ocean ecology in balance......
See I don't get that really, it's alright to jump up and down about majestic apex predators being slaughtered, but not smaller less dramatic creatures.

I'll admit to killing cockroaches, but all other spiders/mice etc that find their way into our house get relocated not killed.

By the way I'm not a vegetarian in case you wondered, just complicated, wierd eh?
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Apex predators are called that for a reason, you start killing them and the knock on effect is huge. Killing apex predators because there is a minute chance one might spoil your day at the beach is the absolute height of human arrogance, it really is no wonder the world is quite frankly f***ed.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 7:02 pm
Banned

Oh I love how those of us concerned about the environment and protected wildlife get labled shark lovers
Old Jan 31st 2014, 7:54 pm
Banned

For some much needed perspective.
http://www.quickmeme.com/p/3vse0u
Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Just saw this on Bbc news. Is the cull due to 7 deaths in 3 years??

Pretty sure there's more dangerous things out there to concern themselves about..

Like drink drivers for starters!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Just saw this on Bbc news. Is the cull due to 7 deaths in 3 years??

Pretty sure there's more dangerous things out there to concern themselves about..

Like drink drivers for starters!
Yes, exactly, 7 deaths in 3 years and some numpties think killing a few sharks will make the beaches safe. Its absolutely unbelievable.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Oh I love how those of us concerned about the environment and protected wildlife get labled shark lovers
I am a shark lover... swam with them 4 times in the past

(and before anyone says thats part of the problem, I was working with the Great White Conservation Project in Gansbaai, South Africa)
Old Feb 1st 2014, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Well, why shouldn't sharks come in close to the shoreline? If their natural food source goes in close , why shouldn't the sharks follow it in....and I'm not talking about people. If people go swimming at beaches that have a food source (seals etc), especially with warning signs posted, no excuse. On average only 3 to 4 people per year have been attacked by sharks since records were started in 1791 in Australia.
Seals are not seen at the surf beaches around here, there are no warning signs and there is a mix of patrolled and unpatrolled beaches. People are just using the beach in the same way as they have done for decades. It is the shark's behaviour that has changed. Eleven deaths in 13 years, and I think the figure is 7 deaths in the last 3 years.

BTW, just to save you going off the deep end, I'm not a shark hugger, lover or what ever, just someone trying to put over a logical defence for the shark to a knee-jerk reaction by the government, but as you are obviously not open to seeing the other side of the argument, it would be very difficult to convince you that this is indeed a knee jerk reaction.
I don't think that the sharks need protecting at the moment, same goes for crocs in the north. The prospect of killing a few sharks close to shore has been in the pipeline here for a couple of years at least, so I don't think that it is accurate to say it's a knee-jerk reaction. While the WA govt dillied and dallied over the matter, more people have been killed. There was a particular incident just over a year ago when hundreds of kids were at risk - that's much more important than a few big fish.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:06 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that the sharks need protecting at the moment, same goes for crocs in the north. The prospect of killing a few sharks close to shore has been in the pipeline here for a couple of years at least, so I don't think that it is accurate to say it's a knee-jerk reaction. While the WA govt dillied and dallied over the matter, more people have been killed. There was a particular incident just over a year ago when hundreds of kids were at risk - that's much more important than a few big fish.
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/3855/0 It seems the International Union for the Conservation of Nature would disagree with you

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Feb 1st 2014 at 12:25 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly - you and your kids are at no risk of being attacked by a great white or tiger shark - so why jump up and down about getting rid of a few sharks who are nowhere near you and your family? You have moved back to the UK to enjoy the lifestyle. You want to change the lifestyle that people here enjoy, a simple lifestyle of going down the beach for a play or exercise.
If you are this worried about sharks, just don't go into the sea. You really have no need to, we humans do not need to go into the sea, not ever if we don't want to. Sharks do, they live there, they don't do so well on land.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:56 pm

Seals are not seen at the surf beaches around here, there are no warning signs and there is a mix of patrolled and unpatrolled beaches. People are just using the beach in the same way as they have done for decades. It is the shark's behaviour that has changed. Eleven deaths in 13 years, and I think the figure is 7 deaths in the last 3 years.

There have been only 892 recorded shark attacks since 1791 with 217 fatal....
(Source:http://www.australiangeographic.com....ia-a-timeline/ )...... which gives an average of roughly 1 per year....

How can you expertly comment that the sharks behaviour has change? Are you a shark psychologist chance? They are doing what they have been doing for millions of years.
It is not the number of sharks that is growing, but rather the number of people going to the beaches, so of course if you increase the smorgasbord on offer mixed in with other food in their diet.........
Please read from the Australian Geographic.....

http://www.australiangeographic.com....hark-attacks-/
and CSIRO http://www.washarkattacks.net/swimming-deaths.php

As you really have not given a location, one would have to assume that you are in the SW corner of WA around Perth. Obviously if the was a clear and present danger to swimmers, council (wherever) would have erected warning signs, implemented beach and air patrols to detect sharks. maybe the increasing numbers of sharks aren't the problem?
Should the government look at culling the population of swimmers ......

As I said before, you've have closed you mind to the other side of the argument!
Bon Apetit!

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 1st 2014 at 1:13 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.