Shark Cull Begins

Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:06 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute
Question Shark Cull Begins

WA's baited drumlines kill first shark on Australia Day

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wa...#ixzz2rgLvS1iD

Are they right to cull sharks? don't swimmers have a right to use the ocean and be safe? The sharks can go anywhere they like, is it too much to ask that swimmers/surfers can have just a few miles of beach for themselves?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shark Cull Begins

One word - appalling
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Most surfers seem to accept the sharks as part & parcel of surfing. If the sharks are to be sold as flake then I've less of a problem. Sounds weird but I have less issues with killing an animal for food than senseless slaughter [just because a couple of swimmers were attacked]. I dive & have swam with sharks, I accept I'm in their territory simple. I've also caught them in the ocean & fed my family.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Its absolutely disgusting and there can be absolutely no justification for it. They will not be sold as flake as they arent the correct species. It is a senseless knee jerk reactionby a Premier who thinks he lives in the wild west. The thing about culling sharks is that they live in the ocean so others come along to fill the gap left by those that are killed. It is a cheap and cynical move to appease a small number of voters. Disgusting.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong wrong wrong.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
WA's baited drumlines kill first shark on Australia Day

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wa...#ixzz2rgLvS1iD

Are they right to cull sharks? don't swimmers have a right to use the ocean and be safe? The sharks can go anywhere they like, is it too much to ask that swimmers/surfers can have just a few miles of beach for themselves?
No, it's not right to cull sharks. Swimmers have the same right to swim in a shark free ocean as sharks have to walk on human free streets. It's their ocean, not ours. If swimmers want to swim without fear of sharks they can use pools. Or freshwater lakes where there are no sharks.

We saw the fisherman pulling the hooked shark up on the news last night and I had to turn it off. I couldn't bear to see him actually shoot that poor creature in the head. That shark was lured to the beach by bait then hooked and shot to death for doing nothing other than eating a free meal. It wasn't hurting anyone.

Colin Barnett should be ashamed of himself for enacting this horrible legislation.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, it's not right to cull sharks. Swimmers have the same right to swim in a shark free ocean as sharks have to walk on human free streets. It's their ocean, not ours. If swimmers want to swim without fear of sharks they can use pools. Or freshwater lakes where there are no sharks.

We saw the fisherman pulling the hooked shark up on the news last night and I had to turn it off. I couldn't bear to see him actually shoot that poor creature in the head. That shark was lured to the beach by bait then hooked and shot to death for doing nothing other than eating a free meal. It wasn't hurting anyone.

Colin Barnett should be ashamed of himself for enacting this horrible legislation.
The attitude reminds me of a story I saw about crocs in FNQ, the women interviewed said its simple, the crocs shouldnt be here near people. She definitely came from the shallow end of the gene pool.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:58 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see the point. Especially as the tiger shark killed on Australia day was dragged just a few km out to sea by the fishermen and then dumped into the sea again - basically chumming the water for more sharks!

Given the fact there are endless live export trucks traipsing through Fremantle the authority's attitude to animals is probably pretty suspect. I can't see the Aussies chasing the Japanese whale killers with any credibility now either.

Shark wise - I just don't see the point. A few drum lines aren't going to reassure the public - who (like me) swim no deeper than waist depth and there's evidence that shows sharks have previously swum straight past bait to go for a human anyway. Plus, Great whites are listed as 'vulnerable' by the ICUN.....

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jan 28th 2014 at 9:11 am.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I can't see the point. Especially as the tiger shark killed on Australia day was dragged just a few km out to sea by the fishermen and then dumped into the sea again - basically chumming the water for more sharks!

Given the fact there are endless live export trucks traipsing through Fremantle the authority's attitude to animals is probably pretty suspect. I can't see the Aussies chasing the Japanese whale killers with any credibility now either.

Shark wise - I just don't see the point. A few drum lines aren't going to reassure the public - who (like me) swim no deeper than waist depth and there's evidence that shows sharks have previously swum straight past bait to go for a human anyway. Plus, Great whites are listed as 'vulnerable' by the ICUN.....
TE!!! Hello! Welcome back. I've missed you.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Most surfers seem to accept the sharks as part & parcel of surfing. If the sharks are to be sold as flake then I've less of a problem. Sounds weird but I have less issues with killing an animal for food than senseless slaughter [just because a couple of swimmers were attacked]. I dive & have swam with sharks, I accept I'm in their territory simple. I've also caught them in the ocean & fed my family.
It's much more than a couple of swimmers being attacked - it's 11 people killed by sharks in WA since 2000.

Although surfers generally appear to accept the risk of sharks, the last death 2 months ago seemed to change surfers' attitudes around to wanting a cull. Many surfers are not that far out from shore and some of these attacks have happened in fairly shallow water. Diving for recreation or work is a high risk activity and contact with sharks would be expected. You don't expect sharks to come in so close to shore and affecting people going down the beach for a swim or surf.

The shark situation in the Perth metro area has got ridiculous with the number of shark alarms going off and beaches being closed. Three days ago several Perth beaches were closed because a 4 metre great white had been spotted 60 metres offshore.

Kill them and use for food, don't know if great whites are good for eating, though.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Australia is doing a wonderful job of destroying its native wildlife, few sharks aren't going to make a difference.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:35 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
It's much more than a couple of swimmers being attacked - it's 11 people killed by sharks in WA since 2000.

Although surfers generally appear to accept the risk of sharks, the last death 2 months ago seemed to change surfers' attitudes around to wanting a cull. Many surfers are not that far out from shore and some of these attacks have happened in fairly shallow water. Diving for recreation or work is a high risk activity and contact with sharks would be expected. You don't expect sharks to come in so close to shore and affecting people going down the beach for a swim or surf.

The shark situation in the Perth metro area has got ridiculous with the number of shark alarms going off and beaches being closed. Three days ago several Perth beaches were closed because a 4 metre great white had been spotted 60 metres offshore.

Kill them and use for food, don't know if great whites are good for eating, though.
Historically a significant number of attacks happen in shallow water. Why great whites and other species of sharks are routinely seen in the Perth area is that New Zealand fur seals and Australian sea-lions are most prevalent in Perth, Jurien Bay, Albany and Esperance areas (surprisingly these mammals are a favourite shark food).

People seem to forget that swimmers. surfers, whatever, are not entering their own backyard - the ocean is the sharks backyard and you are only a guest. A shark cannot tell the difference between a sea-lion or a surfer/swimmer from underneath - if they are hungry, unfortunately you are on the menu.

A similar situation is happening in the NT where a 12 year old was taken by a croc. The NT government has issued a shoot on sight order, and so far of the crocs reported as being shot, none has been shot by Police and Rangers, has been the guilty one. The area is well signed and the locals know the crocs are there, but accept the risk of entering the croc's backyard when they go swimming.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
You don't expect sharks to come in so close to shore and affecting people going down the beach for a swim or surf.

Sharks have always come inshore.....that is why beach fishing for them has always been a popular sport. No matter how many you kill others will always follow because that is wher they have always hunted.

Much of the difference now is increased surveillance....they have always been there.

One of the most dangerous sharks are Bull sharks and they will be in most rivers in their thousands.....plenty are caught in the middle of Brisbane...you will not change anything by killing a few.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:37 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Australia is doing a wonderful job of destroying its native wildlife, few sharks aren't going to make a difference.
Australia is also the only nation that eats part of it's national emblem.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Historically a significant number of attacks happen in shallow water. Why great whites and other species of sharks are routinely seen in the Perth area is that New Zealand fur seals and Australian sea-lions are most prevalent in Perth, Jurien Bay, Albany and Esperance areas (surprisingly these mammals are a favourite shark food).

People seem to forget that swimmers. surfers, whatever, are not entering their own backyard - the ocean is the sharks backyard and you are only a guest. A shark cannot tell the difference between a sea-lion or a surfer/swimmer from underneath - if they are hungry, unfortunately you are on the menu.

A similar situation is happening in the NT where a 12 year old was taken by a croc. The NT government has issued a shoot on sight order, and so far of the crocs reported as being shot, none has been shot by Police and Rangers, has been the guilty one. The area is well signed and the locals know the crocs are there, but accept the risk of entering the croc's backyard when they go swimming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.