Shark Cull Begins

Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:13 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shark Cull Begins

Originally Posted by The Bloke
So by that statement you are saying that if a person or animal has no legs, they are evil and have no place on earth? I think you need to rethink what you have written, or at least start with self-promoting politicians as they are lower than a snakes belly.
I assumed it was tongue in cheek but as someone who has kept snakes for the best part of 40 years I have come across many people who delight in telling you they kill every snake on sight and almost wear it as a badge of honour. Very sad.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:29 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
My son has been a diver for years....they have always accepted that sharks are around and carry electric deterrents to keep them away.

He used to dive in South Australia where the great whites breed and they never had any real dramas that were not accepted as part of the territory of diving in those waters.

This whole thing is a political publicity stunt and those concerned should be ashamed
I've also dove(dived) wtf is the word? bull sharks too but mainly grey reef sharks and TBH being on their level face to face its amazing how they don't really give a sh!t about you, paddling on a surf board and having a huge dark shadow cruise under you is much scarier IMO.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:29 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
It's much more than a couple of swimmers being attacked - it's 11 people killed by sharks in WA since 2000.

Although surfers generally appear to accept the risk of sharks, the last death 2 months ago seemed to change surfers' attitudes around to wanting a cull. Many surfers are not that far out from shore and some of these attacks have happened in fairly shallow water. Diving for recreation or work is a high risk activity and contact with sharks would be expected. You don't expect sharks to come in so close to shore and affecting people going down the beach for a swim or surf.

The shark situation in the Perth metro area has got ridiculous with the number of shark alarms going off and beaches being closed. Three days ago several Perth beaches were closed because a 4 metre great white had been spotted 60 metres offshore.

Kill them and use for food, don't know if great whites are good for eating, though.
Less than one per year then! Hardly a major cause of death warranting a cull
By comparison double that amount die annually in horse riding accidents, maybe we should implement an equestrian cull?
Hi ho Silver awaaaaaay
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My family and I went to the protest in Cottesloe and we are going again this weekend. I think it disgraceful, this shark cull makes us like hillbillies to the rest of the world.

I think we will prevail though, recent polls show massive opposition to the cull, I'm hoping it will cost Barnett his government.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

The shoreline is the habitat of humans as well as marine life, has been for thousands of years, although of course we don't live in the water. Great white sharks and other aggressive species coming close to shore in metro areas and some regional ones is not acceptable and endangers human life. Better a shark killed than a human being, especially a child.

A 4 metre long great white spotted 60 metres offshore 3 days ago - causing one of many beach closures over the last year. No whales or seals swimming by. Saturday's shark was not tagged, so none of the warning system alarms were set off automatically.

I'm not advocating to kill all sharks, after all I'm quite partial to the occasional flake and chips. It tastes even better, knowing that there is one less shark around to kill a child or even an adult human.

The recent poll carried out was only on 500 people and very few Western Australians were included. I think you will find that the silent majority would value humans more than big fish.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:49 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

sharks used for flake (fish n chips)

Gummy shark, Mustelus antarcticus
School shark, Galeorhinus galeus
Elephant fish, Callorhinchus milii
Whiskery shark, Furgaleus macki
Australian blacktip shark, Carcharhinus tilstoni
Sawshark (any of several Pristiophorus species)
Various dog sharks (Family Squalidae)
Wobbegong
uk
Tope
smooth hound

None of these would kill you
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion I think the Shark cull is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction and serves no rational purpose.
However I would be interested to hear what people's thoughts are on the practice of farmers shooting wolves and bears when they come onto their properties (here in Canada)and start attacking livestock?
In theory the humans have 'encroached' on the Bears habitat but does that mean they should be allowed to eat the livestock (and even attack humans).
I wouldn't advocate a mass cull but where do you draw the line? Is it ok to exercise some sort of population control on 'known offenders'?

Just saw an interesting reality show where the farmer shot a bear because he had just watched it coming into his field and mauling a calf.
He was visibly upset and said that once they get the taste for the calf meat then they just keep coming back and possibly next time it would be one of his kids. He needed to make a living, be safe and put food in his families mouth (from rearing livestock, not eating the bear obviously) so it was the only thing he could do.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

In their own natural environment I dont value a shark or any other wild animal over a human when that humanis in the animals habitat. I hate the fact that some humans can seemingly justify anything. The fact that the majority of people seem to be against this cull speaks volumes.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
In their own natural environment I dont value a shark or any other wild animal over a human when that humanis in the animals habitat. I hate the fact that some humans can seemingly justify anything. The fact that the majority of people seem to be against this cull speaks volumes.
So you are saying that if you were there at the time and your friend or relative was being eaten by the animal, and you had the ability to intervene, you would just let the animal chomp at will? Find that pretty hard to believe.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 5:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
So you are saying that if you were there at the time and your friend or relative was being eaten by the animal, and you had the ability to intervene, you would just let the animal chomp at will? Find that pretty hard to believe.
Yes that is exactly what I am saying
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes that is exactly what I am saying
So what's with the sarcastic Chris?

It's a straight question. Is that a yes, you would let the animal eat the human no worries? Or are you now saying no, you would actually kill the animal to save the human, (which is basically valuing the human's life ahead of the animals?)
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
So what's with the sarcastic Chris?

It's a straight question. Is that a yes, you would let the animal eat the human no worries? Or are you now saying no, you would actually kill the animal to save the human, (which is basically valuing the human's life ahead of the animals?)
Obviously I would save the human, my comment was aimed at the assumption that a human was more 'valuable' than an animal. There is absolutely no justification in killing sharks just in case they attack a human that is afterall in the sharks environment but that is humans for you.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Obviously I would save the human, my comment was aimed at the assumption that a human was more 'valuable' than an animal. There is absolutely no justification in killing sharks just in case they attack a human that is afterall in the sharks environment but that is humans for you.
OK, sorry my apologies I see I actually misread your post anyway.
Didn't think you could be that crazy, (I'm sure it's not true what they say about you )
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:48 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
sharks used for flake (fish n chips)

Gummy shark, Mustelus antarcticus
School shark, Galeorhinus galeus
Elephant fish, Callorhinchus milii
Whiskery shark, Furgaleus macki
Australian blacktip shark, Carcharhinus tilstoni
Sawshark (any of several Pristiophorus species)
Various dog sharks (Family Squalidae)
Wobbegong
uk
Tope
smooth hound

None of these would kill you
They are used for flake but you'll find Mako, Blue and Great Whites are also eaten. The Tuna boats bring Mako into Mooloolaba all the time.
Never seen anyone comment re a Bull Shark being edible, I'll ask on a fishing forum
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Rhino's too, seriously the quicker they are wiped out the better. Elephants, what have elephants ever done for good of humanity? Get rid of them all. All this fuss about Whales, most of them just just swim around eating plankton, woopie.
Never mind rhinos, what about hippos? Evil killers, the lot of them. Hippos are one of Africa's biggest killers (certainly among large animals, anyway) but you never hear of anyone wanting to cull hippos!

In fact, here are 11 animals more likely to kill you than a shark:

(sorry, I know it's US-centric, what can I say?)

11 animals more likely to kill you than a shark.. including cows. Yes, cows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.