Shark Cull Begins

Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:54 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shark Cull Begins

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
The recent poll carried out was only on 500 people and very few Western Australians were included. I think you will find that the silent majority would value humans more than big fish.
As it isn't about whether you value human life over sharks, you may be surprised at what the silent majority believe.

Culling sharks could actually increase human deaths as complacency would become prevalent.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes...the good old 'silent majority'...you can always rely on them when confronted with a poll result you don't like!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Never seen anyone comment re a Bull Shark being edible, I'll ask on a fishing forum
They are eaten regularly by many. You are allowed to take one shark up to a metre and a half per day.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:41 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Better to cull some crocs
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
You are allowed to take one shark up to a metre and a half per day.
Does that include the distance back home?
I reckon they could tow you ! I saw this movie once....
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:38 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
They are eaten regularly by many. You are allowed to take one shark up to a metre and a half per day.
I believe bag/size limits apply to all shark species as well as other fish & it's not a per day thing it's an in your possession thing. The fisheries often pull up at the caravan parks in Hervey Bay & ask to look in eskies. Large numbers of N.S.W anglers were caught last year thinking they could catch 25 whiting per day & take home 350 per couple. If they want to be picky [and they are] they can even raid your home freezer & check your frozen fillets.
Bull Sharks apparently are good eating, not my idea of good eating considering the crap water they live in [Brisbane River etc.]
Old Jan 29th 2014, 4:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

FYI You can't eat the 3m plus sized sharks.

Well you can but it's not advised as they are apex predators and their flesh is contaminated with PBCs and mercury and all sorts of other harmful stuff.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:27 am
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
My family and I went to the protest in Cottesloe and we are going again this weekend. I think it disgraceful, this shark cull makes us like hillbillies to the rest of the world.

I think we will prevail though, recent polls show massive opposition to the cull, I'm hoping it will cost Barnett his government.
Out of curiosity do you and your family uses the beach for swimming /surfing?
The reason i ask is because i'm trying to imagine if my kids used one of the high risk beaches for swimming or surfing and how i'd feel about the cull and if i'm honest i would sleep better at night knowing something was being done to keep them safer what ever the percentages or risk factors.

Last edited by TGA; Jan 29th 2014 at 5:31 am.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 5:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
The reason i ask is because i'm trying to imagine if my kids used one of the high risk beaches for swimming or surfing and how i'd feel about the cull and if i'm honest i would sleep better at night knowing something was being done to keep them safer what ever the percentages or risk factors.
My wife and son were SCUBA diving on Saturday and a great white triggered one of the beacons less than 1 kilometre away. My Mrs dives for a living and she's in the ocean all the time.

My daughters swim at Mullaloo a few times a week too.

PS we don't believe the cull makes the beaches safer, if anything more dangerous as it attracts sharks to the bait.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:31 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
My wife and son were SCUBA diving on Saturday and a great white triggered one of the beacons less than 1 kilometre away. My Mrs dives for a living and she's in the ocean all the time.

My daughters swim at Mullaloo a few times a week too.

PS we don't believe the cull makes the beaches safer, if anything more dangerous as it attracts sharks to the bait.
Yep then they learn to associate food with the buoys/barrels & boats. An hour at the back of any prawn trawler will tell you how quick sharks cotton on to a free feed.
I don't eat any big fish, if they've lived around the local bay area for long enough to get big then they are almost certainly a high risk in terms of ciguatera poisoning
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:34 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGA
I wouldn't knowingly take my kids to a high risk beach. And I research it before we visit the beaches so I know. There is plenty of information available about recent sightings and closed beaches etc. You want to do something to minimise the risk? Keep away. It's not rocket science.

A cull is not the answer and as others have said, is a knee jerk reaction which will serve no purpose whatsoever.

Surely the money would be better spent on employing more shark spotters who can raise the alarm when they are around?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
I wouldn't knowingly take my kids to a high risk beach. And I research it before we visit the beaches so I know. There is plenty of information available about recent sightings and closed beaches etc. You want to do something to minimise the risk? Keep away. It's not rocket science.

A cull is not the answer and as others have said, is a knee jerk reaction which will serve no purpose whatsoever.

Surely the money would be better spent on employing more shark spotters who can raise the alarm when they are around?
All it will do is lull people into a false sense of security. Its amazing how many people think this will make it safer to swim.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Along the Perth metro coastline, there are very few beaches that might be called low risk, the coastline is mostly open and unprotected, with many surf beaches. If you followed your reasoning and applied it to Perth, then it would be standing room only at a few small beaches in Trigg and North Beach, with queues miles long of thousands of people waiting their turn for a dip.

It will kill a few large sharks coming in too close to shore. They do need to do more research and a MUCH bigger tagging programme. Also more trials of netting like that recently installed at Coogee.

Would you want your kids at risk of shark attack just because they're at the beach, not miles out, or scuba diving, but just enjoying being at the beach?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 11:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The sea is the sharks territory, they have been there literally millions of years and typically arrogant humans come along and decide the sharks need to go so we can swim in safety. Lets disregard that more people will die choking on a chip at the beach. Humans will be the death of this planet.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The sea is the sharks territory, they have been there literally millions of years and typically arrogant humans come along and decide the sharks need to go so we can swim in safety. Lets disregard that more people will die choking on a chip at the beach. Humans will be the death of this planet.
Kids are more important than sharks. It's not arrogance, it's parents protecting their young.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.