Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence

Scottish Independence

Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by GarryP
Why, scotland didn't earn it, the UK did. Scotland benefited as part of the union (which is why the moans about scotland getting subsidised).
How exactly is oil in Scottish owned territory "earned by the UK"? Stolen more like.

I thought the reason for the massive chip on the scottish shoulder was the fact that the English really don't give scotland much thought most of the time? Really, we've been much nicer about you than you deserve, given how every other word out of scotland's collective mouth is "****ing English".
Excuse me, but this thread has been pretty much non stop Scotland bashing. You people make me sick.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craig1987
And have you considered that the reason the Scots have a chip on their shoulder is due to the "elitist" attitude that the English have.

Proof of which is pretty much the whole thread. Open your eyes mate. In order to have a chip on ones shoulder, someone has to do something first. And the reason I even mentioned an historic battle was due to some ignoramous. I am proud of my country's history.
I'm from a council estate in Manchester. Not many there with an "elitist attitude" I can tell ya.

Try reading the thread without the tartan blinkers. Much of it is a piss take, between posters who have posted to one another for years. It's not intended as serious comment... but there is a definitive undercurrent from the English posters along the lines of "you've been telling us for years you hate us and you're off. Well just get on and ****ing do it then. You won't be missed"

If that attitude comes as a surprise to some Scots, it really shouldn't.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

How exactly is oil in Scottish owned territory "earned by the UK"? Stolen more like.

Excuse me, but this thread has been pretty much non stop Scotland bashing. You people make me sick.
"Scottish owned territory" Where's that then?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:59 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'm from a council estate in Manchester. Not many there with an "elitist attitude" I can tell ya.
I've often thought that 'elitist' comment comes from the fact that no one can understand a broad scottish accent - so tourists keep asking for it to be repeated in English.

Actually the piss-takes and the rancour is probably a good reason to get this referendum over and done with as soon as possible. The longer it goes on, the more the English are going to think/say "well **** off then".

Its very like a divorce.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

"Scottish owned territory" Where's that then?
In the event of independence it would go something like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_boundary
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Try reading the thread without the tartan blinkers. Much of it is a piss take, between posters who have posted to one another for years. It's not intended as serious comment... but there is a definitive undercurrent from the English posters along the lines of "you've been telling us for years you hate us and you're off. Well just get on and ****ing do it then. You won't be missed"

If that attitude comes as a surprise to some Scots, it really shouldn't.
Firstly, I would like to state that I have not made stated where I stand on the independence issue. Secondly, I would like to state that the SNP does not speak for everyone in Scotland. Have you considered that fact? That would be like someone calling the English racist due to the drivel spouted by the BNP.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

It's kind of funny. The point has been made that up until a few years ago Salmond was making the point that Scotland could do as well as its neighbours, Ireland and Iceland. Somehow the touchstones of comparison changed....

Though the inventor has lived in the US since birth, he had a mother that once, in 1972 bought a tin of shortbread with a tartan pattern on it (though made in Manchester) - HE'S A SCOT !!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zaJPOVGlEPs
Yep, hence the reason I excluded Ireland and Iceland from the list

Both still ranked higher than the UK though, in fact Iceland seems to be recovering rather well from the GFC, maybe other countries should take their stance and just say a big f**k you to the banks instead of grinding their country further into poverty.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by IvanM
They will still be bad at football.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

I've often thought that 'elitist' comment comes from the fact that no one can understand a broad scottish accent - so tourists keep asking for it to be repeated in English.

Actually the piss-takes and the rancour is probably a good reason to get this referendum over and done with as soon as possible. The longer it goes on, the more the English are going to think/say "well **** off then".

Its very like a divorce.
Yes indeed it is.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:13 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
there you go, constantly referring to battles from donkey's years ago. How many have been lost since then?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
there you go, constantly referring to battles from donkey's years ago. How many have been lost since then?
Who is "constantly referring to battles from donkey's years ago"? I didn't post that video. As a matter of fact, I couldn't give a **** about football. Regardless of whose playing.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bingobob777
In the event of independence it would go something like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_boundary
...and prior to 'independence', which is when Craigy boy was talking about?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Firstly, I would like to state that I have not made stated where I stand on the independence issue. Secondly, I would like to state that the SNP does not speak for everyone in Scotland. Have you considered that fact? That would be like someone calling the English racist due to the drivel spouted by the BNP.
Have I bollocks. What do you think this is? The Oxford Debating Society?

Comparing the SNP to the BNP is interesting though. What percentage of Scots recently voted for the SNP?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Have I bollocks. What do you think this is? The Oxford Debating Society?

Comparing the SNP to the BNP is interesting though. What percentage of Scots recently voted for the SNP?
I didn't.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:22 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Who is "constantly referring to battles from donkey's years ago"? I didn't post that video. As a matter of fact, I couldn't give a **** about football. Regardless of whose playing.
Chill out mate! It's a bit of fun! You referred earlier to a battle won a very long time ago and now Bingo is referring to a football match won in 1967.

Someone made a very good point earlier that the most ardent and true blue Scots all seem to live outside of Scotland. I must say that since living in Aus I have found that to be very very true.

I have for many years, while living here and in the UK put up with the usual "bloody English" and other banter and just shrugged it off as such. Now, with the "threats" of independence it seems the banter is coming across as genuine dislike. As Iam put it, maybe the English are now just sick of hearing it all the time and the Scots on here who seem to be taking offense to this are seeing this as hatred. It's not, it's years of fatigue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.