Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence

Scottish Independence

Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:02 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Well no one knows do they, and no one knows what will happen if Independence is granted. However, there are plenty of countries in Northern Europe with similar populations who seem to manage just fine. In fact in the 2011 human development index, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Slovenia, Belgium and Austria all came above the UK. No reason scotland couldn't.
It's kind of funny. The point has been made that up until a few years ago Salmond was making the point that Scotland could do as well as its neighbours, Ireland and Iceland. Somehow the touchstones of comparison changed....

Originally Posted by bingobob777
After all we did invent just about everything important in the world.
Though the inventor has lived in the US since birth, he had a mother that once, in 1972 bought a tin of shortbread with a tartan pattern on it (though made in Manchester) - HE'S A SCOT !!!

Last edited by GarryP; Jan 15th 2012 at 8:19 pm. Reason: Appropriate video clip
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:03 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

For the uneducated, like myself. What industry does Scotland have apart from Sea Monster & Stag Night Tourism?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:16 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
For the uneducated, like myself. What industry does Scotland have apart from Sea Monster & Stag Night Tourism?
back to the thatcher thread?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:22 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

They will still be bad at football.
Originally Posted by DeadVim
It seems that most of the prominent 'Proud Scots' can't stand living there so does it really matter who rules the place?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:48 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Who will get all the oil?????,?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commonwealth
BP, or EP as they will be known in the future.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:06 pm

Depends if the Shetlands want to leave the union.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IvanM
Depends if the Shetlands want to leave the union.
Doesn't matter, the English are keeping it. What they gonna do? Fight us for it?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:11 pm

Ya saying she is a sea monster?
Originally Posted by soapy©
back to the thatcher thread?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Doesn't matter, the English are keeping it. What they gonna do? Fight us for it?
Excuse me, but I'll have you know that despite being vastly outnumbered by the English and having poorer equipment, the Scots have beaten you before.

And as for the whole "The Scot's will have to take the RBS debt", fine, but if that's how we're playing it, then how about England pays Scotland back every penny (adjusted for inflation) that it has made off of North Sea oil.

I wouldn't be surprised if the English are just biding their time until the oil has run out and just decided to boot us from the union anyway.

Anyway, I digress. This thread is for the purpose of debate. Not for badmouthing the Scots. You want to know why the Scots have a chip on their shoulder in the first place, then look back through this thread and see the constant mockery of Scotland that has been posted by the English. Do you not see your own ignorance? How can you make fun of Scotland, but at the same time complain that the Scots have a chip on their shoulder?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Craig1987
Excuse me, but I'll have you know that despite being vastly outnumbered by the English and having poorer equipment, the Scots have beaten you before.

And as for the whole "The Scot's will have to take the RBS debt", fine, but if that's how we're playing it, then how about England pays Scotland back every penny (adjusted for inflation) that it has made off of North Sea oil.

I wouldn't be surprised if the English are just biding their time until the oil has run out and just decided to boot us from the union anyway.

Anyway, I digress. This thread is for the purpose of debate. Not for badmouthing the Scots. You want to know why the Scots have a chip on their shoulder in the first place, then look back through this thread and see the constant mockery of Scotland that has been posted by the English. Do you not see your own ignorance? How can you make fun of Scotland, but at the same time complain that the Scots have a chip on their shoulder?
**** sake !!

We take the piss out of the Scots because you keep raising battles from 700 years ago to show how tough your are. Get a grip pal. The English have been hearing for generations how it's "all your fault". As I said earlier, perhaps they're finally sick of it?

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 15th 2012 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:37 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

First off, you need to be careful about "all the oil". The North Sea has been declining at a quite speedy rate since about 2000. As such the predicted view of production looks like:

So basically we are talking about the tail of production, which eventually will fall below the point that's economically extractable. Probably over and done in practical terms by 2017-2020.

Then there is the question of who's fields are who's. While most of the oil fields, rigs, etc. are probably going to end up in scottish waters, its not going to be all. Most of the refinaries are in England.

My guess is this will be stitched up so the scots think they are getting more than they are, and that the UK will maintain some claim over production etc.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:38 pm

One hit on the Irn Bru factory and you are crippled.

Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
**** sake !!

We take the piss out of the Scots because you keep raising battles from 700 years ago to show how tough your are. Get a grip pal. The English have been hearing for generations how it's "all your fault". As I said earlier, perhaps they're finally sick of it?
And have you considered that the reason the Scots have a chip on their shoulder is due to the "elitist" attitude that the English have.

Proof of which is pretty much the whole thread. Open your eyes mate. In order to have a chip on ones shoulder, someone has to do something first. And the reason I even mentioned an historic battle was due to some ignoramous. I am proud of my country's history.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:45 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Really? I think the phrase about winning the battle and losing the war should be the new scottish motto....

Why, scotland didn't earn it, the UK did. Scotland benefited as part of the union (which is why the moans about scotland getting subsidised). As for RBS, you want the bank, you take all the aspects. You don't want a lemon, you don't get to tax it. England would be quite happy for you to take the whole mess off our hands.

See above - that is exactly the plan as I see it, and if the scots fall for it, so much the better.

I thought the reason for the massive chip on the scottish shoulder was the fact that the English really don't give scotland much thought most of the time? Really, we've been much nicer about you than you deserve, given how every other word out of scotland's collective mouth is "****ing English".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.