Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence

Scottish Independence

Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:35 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Yes, but most of my Scottish mates and family capable of rational thought would vote no
Count me in with them.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:48 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly it is in terms of national maturity, though now that the North Sea is starting to dry up, I'm not sure that the economics of full Scottish independence stack up any more.

It seems that the SNP would like full devolution, but would like to keep the revenues from the Barnett Formula flowing in, and I can't really see English tax payers buying that. Sounds a little like having cake and eating it.

There's also the matter of distribution of the now quite large UK national debt. Quite a bit of that was spent in bailing out the Bank of Scotland. I dare say that's something that the Scots can't just walk away from, even if they would like to. I'm not sure that a fledgling independent nation would necessarily benefit from starting day 1 with a huge national debt.

On the other side of the coin is the fact that Scottish independence would be a fantastic opportunity for the UK government to offload quite a bit of that same national debt.

Also, it would pretty much guarantee a Tory government for years to come. Scotland is predominantly a Labour/Lib Dem heartland - in fact, I don't believe that there are any Tory seats held in Scotland are there? So politically, it may well be in the interests of the Conservative party to cut Scotland loose.

S
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:54 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't believe that there are any Tory seats held in Scotland are there? So politically, it may well be in the interests of the Conservative party to cut Scotland loose.
I think there's one! It looks quite big on the map though!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:07 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Also, it would pretty much guarantee a Tory government for years to come. Scotland is predominantly a Labour/Lib Dem heartland - in fact, I don't believe that there are any Tory seats held in Scotland are there? So politically, it may well be in the interests of the Conservative party to cut Scotland loose.
Personally I think its a good part of the reason why Camaroon wants this done and dusted within 18 months. If the scots are unwise enough to vote for divorce, Camaroon can then kick the scots MPs out of Parliament, giving him a majority ahead of the election (2015 I think). He can then drive through whatever policies he likes, safe in the knowledge that with the liberals screwing themselves, and labour being generally useless, he'll get back in with a majority of British MPs.

If he's sensible in drawing up the terms, he can make sure scotland isn't viable, so by the time of the election after that, they come crawling back.

That should keep him in power till 2025.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:52 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:54 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Can we have some good scampi stocks before they put the wall up?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:56 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Personally I think its a good part of the reason why Camaroon wants this done and dusted within 18 months. If the scots are unwise enough to vote for divorce, Camaroon can then kick the scots MPs out of Parliament, giving him a majority ahead of the election (2015 I think). He can then drive through whatever policies he likes, safe in the knowledge that with the liberals screwing themselves, and labour being generally useless, he'll get back in with a majority of British MPs.

If he's sensible in drawing up the terms, he can make sure scotland isn't viable, so by the time of the election after that, they come crawling back.

That should keep him in power till 2025.

Could we offload the Welsh as well? Hell, why not pull a Yeltsin, and just secede England from the Union and leave the others to fend for themselves...

S
Old Jan 11th 2012, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Yes, but most of my Scottish mates and family capable of rational thought would vote no
Haven't the SNP suggested that 15 and 16yr olds get to vote as well to get round that 'complication'?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What's the point? So that Scotland can become Europe's newest banana republic?

It will never happen - too many protestants up there.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:53 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Should Scotland become a Republic, not a Commonwealth realm?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:11 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Should Scotland become a Republic, not a Commonwealth realm?
Only if they have a banana as Head of State.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Only if they have a banana as Head of State.
That would be preferable to Alex Salmond!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the financial side really stacks up. Scotland has been part of the Union for over 300 years but now apparently everyone wants to throw off the yoke of "English Oppression" ?

Fair enough but what is going to pay for the Welfare State, NHS, Defence, Education etc ? Oil revenues are dwindling remember. Look at Ireland - it hitched its wagon to the Euro and look at the mess it's in now.

England [Southern especially] wants shot of Scotland once and for all. All we have given them recently is the likes of Gordon Brown.

Anyway I don't live there anymore so it's a moot point. If the population want to commit suicide it's their decision.

p.s. If there is one thing really gets me is the SNP ALWAYS put the phrase "The people of Scotland" into their sound bites as if they are somehow the magical keepers of everyone's thoughts.

bcworld - The first president of Scotland will be Alex Salmond guaranteed. I hate the bastard but he's one of the cleverest politicians in many years.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:24 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ho hi ho its off to the euro they go.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I don't think the financial side really stacks up. Scotland has been part of the Union for over 300 years but now apparently everyone wants to throw off the yoke of "English Oppression" ?

Fair enough but what is going to pay for the Welfare State, NHS, Defence, Education etc ? Oil revenues are dwindling remember. Look at Ireland - it hitched its wagon to the Euro and look at the mess it's in now.

England [Southern especially] wants shot of Scotland once and for all. All we have given them recently is the likes of Gordon Brown.

Anyway I don't live there anymore so it's a moot point. If the population want to commit suicide it's their decision.

p.s. If there is one thing really gets me is the SNP ALWAYS put the phrase "The people of Scotland" into their sound bites as if they are somehow the magical keepers of everyone's thoughts.

bcworld - The first president of Scotland will be Alex Salmond guaranteed. I hate the bastard but he's one of the cleverest politicians in many years.
Out of interest, who in Scotland will get to vote on this? Will English people living in Scotland get to vote? Will EU and Commonwealth citizens get to vote (as they do for Westminster)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.