Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Random acts of kindness

Random acts of kindness

Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random acts of kindness

Once opened a door for an old lady at a supermarket as she was clearly having trouble opening the door and I wanted to go through the door too.

Just as she passed through the door, and she was about to turn round and thank me, her daughter came running up and said,'Don't thank him, he was only doing it for himself'.

So now when I see people struggling with doors, I go to another one and open it myself. Yes I'm doing it for myself. No I'm not helping your mother as well, problem with that?

JTL
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

My husband told me that my random acts of kindness with him were,well,random.He clearly has forgotten about the cup of tea I made for him three weeks ago.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Doing the Uniform Shop at the local High School, I get all types. Every now and then I get a new enrolment and the parents are obviously in really dire straits in terms of money - a couple who have done runners from abusive husbands and moved overnight. I get the good second hand uniform, find the right size and rip off my regular price and let them have it for nearly nothing or nothing. Does nothing for my sales figures, and the accounts go a bit pear shaped sometimes but I'd feel really shit if I charged them the amount on the tag.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:15 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
My little girl found a mobile at Mooloolaba... we took it home and charged it up (twas a Nokia one, just like my sons) and then I rang MUM from the menu... she was really grateful and said she will be around the next morning...

2 weeks later and the same phone was still sitting in the hallway...

Eventually the Mother turned up, ran up the drive, took the phone, barked "ta" and then ran off again..

hmpf!

Wish I hadn't bothered!

Em x
i worked as a taxi driver for a couple of years and returned loads of phones except 2. the first one was that i didnt return was as i was dropping off a couple in surfers i looked back and spotted a phone on the back seat. i shouted that they must have left the phone they said no we have..saw it then lifted it, said thanks then legged it into the crowd. it must have been the customer before that had left the phone.
the other was when i picked up a few lads in surfers and they gave me directions all the way to their house at night. i must have done about 20 turns down small streets in robina. when i discovered the phone i couldnt remember where i dropped them. the phone had no credit so i called a few numbers on the phone and told them i would keep it until they called. i never did get the call
i must have given back about 30 phones, countless wallets, keys, cameras and a whole pile of other shite. i always got a huge thank you and the odd tenner to be honest i usually cost me more than a tenner to get it back to them but it was worth it to see their faces
honesty is a kindness, its a lot easier to thow all that stuff in the bin.
one that sticks with me was when i picked a young lad up who had just arrived from NZ the day before. I took him from runaway bay to surfers. on the way he told me how he was on his way to hunt for a job and was going to find it hard as he didnt have too much money with him.
as we arrived i told him that he owed me $21.
he nded me a $100 note and a 1 dollar coin tell ing me keep the change.
turns ou the hundred was the same colour as an NZ $20
just as well i spotted it and explainedwhen telling other drivers mostof them said the woul hae kept it.
i just couldnt let that lad think that ne of the fist people in OZ ripped him off.
he must have thankedme a hundred time lol
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Random acts of kindness......mmm, let me see.

I shagged a ginger once, does that count

Did you pay her though?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:17 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Doing the Uniform Shop at the local High School, I get all types. Every now and then I get a new enrolment and the parents are obviously in really dire straits in terms of money - a couple who have done runners from abusive husbands and moved overnight. I get the good second hand uniform, find the right size and rip off my regular price and let them have it for nearly nothing or nothing. Does nothing for my sales figures, and the accounts go a bit pear shaped sometimes but I'd feel really shit if I charged them the amount on the tag.
nice one
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:22 am
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

From doing one simple act of kindness I get the feeling that maybe another person will try to help someone if they are ever in need.
I don't want to get in to the amount of things I do, but when I help someone out, I usually get a big smile that makes it all worth while.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:23 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Call me AL
From doing one simple act of kindness I get the feeling that maybe another person will try to help someone if they are ever in need.
I don't want to get in to the amount of things I do, but when I help someone out, I usually get a big smile that makes it all worth while.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
nice one
What I like is that they have no idea. Having been broke myself the idea of some sort of charity, however well meaning, wouldn't have sat well with me. This way I can help them but they keep what little dignity they feel they have left. One woman with three kids had escaped from her husband at the top end of the GC and didn't have their passports. Another high school had refused to give the kids a place because she couldn't show their ID, regardless of the fact they'd been in a school about 40kms away People don't need that sort of shit in those circumstances.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:20 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
My husband told me that my random acts of kindness with him were,well,random.He clearly has forgotten about the cup of tea I made for him three weeks ago.
And clearly you were nice enough to have married him. Jeez! What more does the man want?
Originally Posted by Call me AL
Was that a serious post from Al? I imagine underneath your humour you're a nice guy after all.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And clearly you were nice enough to have married him. Jeez! What more does the man want?

Was that a serious post from Al? I imagine underneath your humour you're a nice guy after all.
Naahh, must have left himself logged on & his wife posted it
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

We have an elderly Croatian lady living across the road from us.Shes been here 50 years and speaks broken English.Recently she asked for a lift to the hairdressers as she was going to her granddaughters wedding.I drove her there and my daughter sat with her while she got her wash and set done.When I collected her she asked me to have a look at her outfit for the wedding.Before I knew it I was getting her dressed for the wedding.I asked her if she was wearing make up.She said that she never had.I ran over to mine and grabbed my stuff and did her face.She was so happy with all the fuss and she looked beautiful.
I cant do all these things for my Mum but I know that she has lots of other people doing nice things for her.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
We have an elderly Croatian lady living across the road from us.Shes been here 50 years and speaks broken English.Recently she asked for a lift to the hairdressers as she was going to her granddaughters wedding.I drove her there and my daughter sat with her while she got her wash and set done.When I collected her she asked me to have a look at her outfit for the wedding.Before I knew it I was getting her dressed for the wedding.I asked her if she was wearing make up.She said that she never had.I ran over to mine and grabbed my stuff and did her face.She was so happy with all the fuss and she looked beautiful.
I cant do all these things for my Mum but I know that she has lots of other people doing nice things for her.
That sounds so nice!!!!The world needs more people like yourself.xx
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:56 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Indeed!!! How lovely!

Em x
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Thank you.I am always nice to old people.One day I will be old and I hope someone returns the act.Besides I think its a good example to show my kids.Hopefully they will be kind to me in my old age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.