Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thats the Inland road from Goodawindi to the Victorian Border Tocumwal/Shepparton and connects with the Hume highway from there. AKA known as the quick way to Queensland for Melbournians.
I heard a truck driver being interviewed on the radio this morning. He said that his and about 300 other trucks were stuck at Goodawindi and couldn't get through to Warwick and other places. There's going to be one hell of a traffic jam once the road re-opens. Hopefully it's not food supplies being held up.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Is the Newell still open ? At least that way you can get the trucks up from Melbourne.
Don't think so....heard a reporter say she got stopped before gundy and had to do a 1000km detour to get to Brisbane.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Sewerage heading into the river, yet another reason not to go near floodwaters:
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225986384388
Spent a good part of the day waist high in the stuff...didn't see any floaties so hopefully missed it
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Our local Woolworth, at Birkdale Fair, was out of milk, both fresh and long life varieties, this morning. There were some cartons of soya milk and rice milk. All flour (plain flour and bread mixes) was gone apart from a few 1/2 kilo packs of wholemeal self-raising flour. Tinned spaghetti and baked beans were very low in stock. All bottled water, apart from flavoured water, was wiped out. Rice and dry pasta were half the normal stock level. Brand name bread loaves were nearly all gone, but the Brumby bakery in the same shopping centre still had full shelves of bread.

When I spoke to one of ladies at Woolworth, she said that there was a delivery of milk this morning but the milk had arrived hot and couldn't be sold. Next delivery of any milk was this afternoon or tomorrow morning. There won't be any Pauls/Parmalat milk for a while because their distribution centre near Brisbane river was flooded.

I didn't get the milk I was going in for but will leave that for a while. The girls can get their calcium from cheese and protein from meat. I do hope people would stop panic shopping and leave the short-supplied essentials for those who really need them.

Mrs JTL
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:30 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Spent a good part of the day waist high in the stuff...didn't see any floaties so hopefully missed it
I hope you got paid time and a turd, seriously, good luck if you are anywhere near it, we are feeling very lucky down here.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I hope you got paid time and a turd, seriously, good luck if you are anywhere near it, we are feeling very lucky down here.
Thanks...we're on high ground but just nipped down to Rosalie Village in Paddington this morning to see what I could do and everyone was wading into the flood to empty furniture out of houses so joined the fun. Ute after ute turned up to haul the furniture away - 3 cheers for Brisbane's tradies with trucks

Was sad going through little kids bedrooms deciding which toys and things to take...I managed to fill a little plastic bin with one little girls stuff and when I took the 3 matchbox cars off the bed head it give me a little lump thinking how much these little things matter to my 5yo. The matchbox cars definitely made the cut

The local councillor Peter Matic was in the water as well + organising things like local churches to take the furniture so well done him. Though we did have to hacksaw the lock off the gate of the local church hall as the priest was up shopping at Ashgrove - felt naughty as an atheist

One of the houses later in the day had a 97yo woman - everyone formed a human conga to pass out her gear - must have been 30 people with the ones at the front up to their shoulders almost - and used a hand pushed boat for the big furniture.

Strange being inside houses with water inside the house with you

So sad to see Rosalie village almost up to the awnings and people canoeing down the street.

Lots of volunteers filling sandbags at the local depot and when I bought the forby down a line of guys filled the back in no time.....great job.....found a scottish family in Paddington whose garage needed sandbagging so worked out great!!!

My lowlight of the day was being handed a huge plaster statue that was very heavy and while walking out of the flood with the head in my left hand the neck snapped and the whole thing crashed into pieces...

Lets see what tomorrow brings

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 12th 2011 at 12:11 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...we're on high ground but just nipped down to Rosalie Village in Paddington this morning to see what I could do and everyone was wading into the flood to empty furniture out of houses so joined the fun. Ute after ute turned up to haul the furniture away - 3 cheers for Brisbane's tradies with trucks

Was sad going through little kids bedrooms deciding which toys and things to take...I managed to fill a little plastic bin with one little girls stuff and when I took the 3 matchbox cars off the bed head it give me a little lump thinking how much these little things matter to my 5yo. The matchbox cars definitely made the cut

The local councillor Peter Matic was in the water as well + organising things like local churches to take the furniture so well done him. Though we did have to hacksaw the lock off the gate of the local church hall as the priest was up shopping at Ashgrove - felt naughty as an atheist

One of the houses later in the day had a 97yo woman - everyone formed a human conga to pass out her gear - must have been 30 people with the ones at the front up to their shoulders almost - and used a hand pushed boat for the big furniture.

Strange being inside houses with water inside the house with you

So sad to see Rosalie village almost up to the awnings and people canoeing down the street.

Lots of volunteers filling sandbags at the local depot and when I bought the forby down a line of guys filled the back in no time.....great job.....found a scottish family in Paddington whose garage needed sandbagging so worked out great!!!

My lowlight of the day was being handed a huge plaster statue that was very heavy and while walking out of the flood with the head in my left hand the neck snapped and the whole thing crashed into pieces...

Lets see what tomorrow brings
Good work my friend. It's great that there are more like you than the vermin who are looting. I loved Ipswich's mayor (I think) who said if anyone loots they'll be used as flood markers. Karma on it's way.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:30 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't forget all the rural towns that have been in this situation since xmas......and are now in it again.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:34 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good work my friend. It's great that there are more like you than the vermin who are looting. I loved Ipswich's mayor (I think) who said if anyone loots they'll be used as flood markers. Karma on it's way.
I cannot reply to fish's post directly here (thanks Apple!) but I'd like to say fine work too ... there are a few looters that deserve to be shot but many more who act in the best interests and stand up when needed ... Over the coming months I'm sure more will be found
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by welshviking
Please don't forget all the rural towns that have been in this situation since xmas......and are now in it again.
glad to see anna bligh emphasise a few times over the last few days that the army bloke is still full steam ahead dealing with the country floods and will not be delayed by the brisbane floods - hopefully that is the case. Wishing everyone in the rural qld and northern nsw the best of luck over the coming weeks...
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:35 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

The Gateway bridge has been temporarily closed while police assess ongoing flooding. A 300m stretch of floating riverwalk has broken free from its mooring. Police are closing the bridge as a precaution while the situation is assessed.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:36 pm
Mostly Harmless

Indeed so, it is an unfortunate fact of life that less populated/fashionable areas get less coverage in the media ... here's to all disadvantaged.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I cannot reply to fish's post directly here (thanks Apple!) but I'd like to say fine work too ... there are a few looters that deserve to be shot but many more who act in the best interests and stand up when needed ... Over the coming months I'm sure more will be found
Thanks but it's no biggie....the hardest thing is being witness to what other people are going through...compared to them it feels like it is nothing to give them a little help. I must admit it was great seeing so many people helping though...was a bit surreal when I travelled to the suburbs for the sand and saw people going about their lives shopping and stuff....not that they shouldn't be or anything..was like travelling through the looking glass. Though some blokes even arrived in inner brisbane from redcliffe with a truck load of sand bags.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Gateway bridge has been temporarily closed while police assess ongoing flooding. A 300m stretch of floating riverwalk has broken free from its mooring. Police are closing the bridge as a precaution while the situation is assessed.
I bloody loved that floating riverwalk
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

Thanks but it's no biggie....the hardest thing is being witness to what other people are going through...compared to them it feels like it is nothing to give them a little help. I must admit it was great seeing so many people helping though...was a bit surreal when I travelled to the suburbs for the sand and saw people going about their lives shopping and stuff....not that they shouldn't be or anything..was like travelling through the looking glass. Though some blokes even arrived in inner brisbane from redcliffe with a truck load of sand bags.
It's like another world from down here, once the travel chaos eases I'll be pitching in however I can ... It was surreal watching the OH and sprog swimming today 24 hours after I was packing the car for a swift exit ... a few months of the wet season to go so everyone should be prepared ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.