Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qld Flooding - general chat and stuff.....

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Indeed so, it is an unfortunate fact of life that less populated/fashionable areas get less coverage in the media ... here's to all disadvantaged.
as a brisbanite I think one of the first things I thought when I heard the 1974 flood was on its way to Brisbane was what a bugger it is for the regional/rural areas that are flooded. i hope people in regional/rural queensland realise that we are thinking of them still.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

It's like another world from down here, once the travel chaos eases I'll be pitching in however I can ... It was surreal watching the OH and sprog swimming today 24 hours after I was packing the car for a swift exit ... a few months of the wet season to go so everyone should be prepared ...
I haven't seen much tv today...what is happening with the traffic....is the clem 7 chockers? the REX?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:59 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

An iga in Gladstone today got bread in and limited it to 2 per customer one lady took 3 to the checkout and when she was told it was 2 only she said "but I've got the money" checkout chick "that's not how it works we are trying to be fair to all our customers" bogan bitch "well if I can't have it no one will" then throws bread on the floor and stomps on it! If I had of been in that shop I'd have thrown her on the floor and stomped on her head!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kelli28
An iga in Gladstone today got bread in and limited it to 2 per customer one lady took 3 to the checkout and when she was told it was 2 only she said "but I've got the money" checkout chick "that's not how it works we are trying to be fair to all our customers" bogan bitch "well if I can't have it no one will" then throws bread on the floor and stomps on it! If I had of been in that shop I'd have thrown her on the floor and stomped on her head!
More proof that every county has its share of arseholes...sadly we are not immune Though I think the majority of people in the world are not like this!!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:12 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, fraid so
Tried calling the agents today no one knows where my container is as the head office in brissy has been evacuated, I did find out my car is in melb so at least that's ok.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:48 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
More proof that every county has its share of arseholes...sadly we are not immune Though I think the majority of people in the world are not like this!!
Just saw the BBC report on rosalie village,good effort there
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshviking
Please don't forget all the rural towns that have been in this situation since xmas......and are now in it again.
Just as high on our agenda as Brisbane - and so much more of a challenge to sort out, with a need for supply of foodstuffs etc. People in the villages are so much more vulnerable as they are so isolated.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:12 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It's like another world from down here, once the travel chaos eases I'll be pitching in however I can ... It was surreal watching the OH and sprog swimming today 24 hours after I was packing the car for a swift exit ... a few months of the wet season to go so everyone should be prepared ...
http://www.abc.net.au/emergency/flood/ has some links for people interested in helping - especially Volunteering Qld, which is where we are sending people who ring us.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:02 pm
Home and Happy

GATEWAY BRIDGE CURRENTLY CLOSED due to debris in the river - update on that, its now been opened and closed 3 times in the last three hours! be prepared for another closure as more debris comes downstream

Brisbane River at the city gauge STEADY at 4.01am today at 4.46 metres.

There will be a second small peak at high tide this afternoon.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 12th 2011 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:53 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Pollyana
GATEWAY BRIDGE CURRENTLY CLOSED due to debris in the river - update on that, its now been opened and closed 3 times in the last three hours! be prepared for another closure as more debris comes downstream

Brisbane River at the city gauge STEADY at 4.01am today at 4.46 metres.

There will be a second small peak at high tide this afternoon.
Translink has advised that trains will not be operating through the CBD until after 10am today while they check overhead lines.

Brisbane's Lord Mayor Campbell Newman has assured Brisbane residents tap water is safe to drink but please conserve it.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:17 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Really very impressed with the lord mayors and Anna Bligh handling of this. Of course recognizing that they are fronting and leading what are hundreds of heroic acts every hour by the police, army, ses, ( Edit : And people like Poll working silly hours ) and normal people but still they've done a great job of leading this. Someone has to stand up in front and they have done an excellent job. Gillard on the other hand seems full of rhetoric about 'doing it tough' silly woman.

Newman, and Bligh have been outstanding - can't fault what they've done. The Ipswich mayor is class act, I love the fact he's on worldwide TV and telling looters "If we catch you we'll use you as flood markers and our people will take law into our own hands" *brilliant* really brilliant.

< Seriously : No sarcasm intended >

Last edited by spalen; Jan 12th 2011 at 9:23 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:52 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I haven't seen much tv today...what is happening with the traffic....is the clem 7 chockers? the REX?
Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to traffic, our main road in is cut so I've not been inclined to leave the house.

The Clem 7 is under water I believe
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Now that the waters are thankfully receding a worry thought occurs.

Where will all of the people who've been flooded out go? The news is talking something like 15,000 homes flooded in Brisbane alone, the poor occupants won't be able to move straight back in, these properties will need anything from drying out & cleaning up to completely rebuilding.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by spalen
Really very impressed with the lord mayors and Anna Bligh handling of this. Someone has to stand up in front and they have done an excellent job. Gillard on the other hand seems full of rhetoric about 'doing it tough' silly woman.
As an outsider in New Zealand looking in , I would have to agree with the above. Bligh & Newman's delivery of news /information has been outstanding. Gillard ,on the other hand , has done a mighty good impression of a rabbit caught in the headlights.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
As an outsider in New Zealand looking in , I would have to agree with the above. Bligh & Newman's delivery of news /information has been outstanding. Gillard ,on the other hand , has done a mighty good impression of a rabbit caught in the headlights.
That's Gillard being animated

Just watched Bligh on a media release and she had me in tears when she lost it. She's certainly doing a good job along with Newman.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 12th 2011 at 11:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.