Reload this Page >

OZ Gov Financial Discrimination of Gay & Les Couples

OZ Gov Financial Discrimination of Gay & Les Couples

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:58 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OZ Gov Financial Discrimination of Gay & Les Couples

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
well the black and white minstrels were hysterically funny and not racist at all, really they weren't.
Not quite sure if you're saying they were or they weren't. I don't think they were.

At the risk of sounding vaguely serious for a second, I think most gays see the "humour" in many jokes. The ones who don't and who shout homophobe the loudest are the white middleclass do gooders who seem to think they are the PC police who need to stand up for everyone regardless of whether those people are capable of standing up for themselves or not.

I'll get my coat.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:28 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not quite sure if you're saying they were or they weren't. I don't think they were.

At the risk of sounding vaguely serious for a second, I think most gays see the "humour" in many jokes. The ones who don't and who shout homophobe the loudest are the white middleclass do gooders who seem to think they are the PC police who need to stand up for everyone regardless of whether those people are capable of standing up for themselves or not.

I'll get my coat.
I can't see why anyones sexual orientation, sexual identity, race etc should be grounds for so called 'humour'. As birdynumnum pointed out, that old Brit comedy 'love thy neighbour' was considered funny by many at the time, but we can now see how offensive it was. Some aspects of beign PC have gone too far, I agree. But denying a person dignity and equality is NEVER acceptable; neither is making them the butt of some sadarse gutter humour.

IMO the majority of middleclass are at least better educated and more sensitive. Perhaps we are getting too many migrants with grey matter that doesn't connect its neurons properly!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

I'll get my coat.
you sound so enlightened, im from a working class family, i do have a laugh about being gay, but thats ok cos im gay.

The excuse that humour means it ok to make derogitary remarks has been use for years by racists and apologists.

What does AIDS stand for?
Anally Injected Death Sentence.
yeah hysterical
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I can't see why anyones sexual orientation, sexual identity, race etc should be grounds for so called 'humour'. As birdynumnum pointed out, that old Brit comedy 'love thy neighbour' was considered funny by many at the time, but we can now see how offensive it was. Some aspects of beign PC have gone too far, I agree. But denying a person dignity and equality is NEVER acceptable; neither is making them the butt of some sadarse gutter humour.

IMO the majority of middleclass are at least better educated and more sensitive. Perhaps we are getting too many migrants with grey matter that doesn't connect its neurons properly!
Well let's face it hon, I think you talk complete bollox most of the time so yet again we will have to agree to disagree.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:39 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Well let's face it hon, I think you talk complete bollox most of the time so yet again we will have to agree to disagree.
Well I don't think it's bollocks to make a stand for human rights, dignity, respect and equality and point out inconsistencies. It's all to easy to sit on the fence, take the piss or slam those who are prepared to speak up on these matters. It requires little effort or actual cognitive processing (thinking fyi).
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't think it's bollocks to make a stand for human rights, dignity, respect and equality and point out inconsistencies. It's all to easy to sit on the fence, take the piss or slam those who are prepared to speak up on these matters. It requires little effort or actual cognitive processing (thinking fyi).
Christ, this will be the 3rd time I've agreed with Kiwi Child - god forbid, I'm turning to the left in my old age !!!

Being a recent [18 months] migrant to WA from the UK, I would not like to be gay or in a same-sex relationship in Australia. It maybe fine in Sydney, but I get the general feeling that it might not go down so well elsewhere. The case of the boy in WA being adopted by two gay men was all over the media here and some of the stuff I read in the letters pages and from the phone in callers was gay-bashing, pure and simple. [The usual statements hinting that homosexual men are paedophiles and that the boy will be 'taught' how to be gay - what a load of bigoted crap]

I'm a white heterosexual male who, like many, isn't 100% comfortable with homosexual relationships. I however came to the conclusion a few years ago that it that's how people want to live their lives, fine it's their business - they should be treated EXACTLY like everyone else. And if that means treating same-sex defacto relationships like m/f defacto relationships - fine by me.

p.s. I personally DO NOT agree with same-sex marriages but only in the viewpoint of calling them 'marriages' - if its an acknowledged and legal union then its proper to treat their relationship the same way as a m/f marriage with all the benefits [and all the severe financial drawbacks if it goes sour !!]
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:02 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Christ, this will be the 3rd time I've agreed with Kiwi Child - god forbid, I'm turning to the left in my old age !!!

Being a recent [18 months] migrant to WA from the UK, I would not like to be gay or in a same-sex relationship in Australia. It maybe fine in Sydney, but I get the general feeling that it might not go down so well elsewhere. The case of the boy in WA being adopted by two gay men was all over the media here and some of the stuff I read in the letters pages and from the phone in callers was gay-bashing, pure and simple. [The usual statements hinting that homosexual men are paedophiles and that the boy will be 'taught' how to be gay - what a load of bigoted crap]

I'm a white heterosexual male who, like many, isn't 100% comfortable with homosexual relationships. I however came to the conclusion a few years ago that it that's how people want to live their lives, fine it's their business - they should be treated EXACTLY like everyone else. And if that means treating same-sex defacto relationships like m/f defacto relationships - fine by me.

p.s. I personally DO NOT agree with same-sex marriages but only in the viewpoint of calling them 'marriages' - if its an acknowledged and legal union then its proper to treat their relationship the same way as a m/f marriage with all the benefits [and all the severe financial drawbacks if it goes sour !!]
Great Post
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:05 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Nah, you're just showing your maturity and compassion. Not bad qualities, and I'm not an extreme left winger BTW
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

At no point did I say those things were bollox. I said you talk bollox most of the time. I don't sit on the fence. I don't take the piss or even slam those who are prepared to speak up on these matters providing those people prepared to speak are doing it for the right reasons and not because they think it puts them on the moral high ground over others or because they think they know more than the actual people suffering the abuse or discrimination.
You are attempting (and failing) to do this patronising manner nonsense again. Maybe it's the way you talk all the time or maybe you think it sells your argument better, whatever the reason it makes you look vaguely silly. Oh and thanks for the information but I am very capable of understanding cognitive processing thank you.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: OZ Gov Financial Discrimination of Gay & Les Couples

These matters should have been sorted yonks ago. It's disgraceful that this sort of discrimination is still legal!. But unlikely under a Liberal federal govt due to their conservative "family values" agenda that actively promotes heterosexual marriage while attempting to discourage other sexual orientations and identities.
It was only a few decades ago that de facto couples in mixed sex relationships were in exactly the same position. They had to wait for the law to change; now gay & lesbian couples are in the same boat.

Laws change with society, and that takes time.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:26 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't think it's bollocks to make a stand for human rights, dignity, respect and equality.
Pity decency is missing from your list.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

I would say that everyone should be equal in the eyes of the law and same sex relationships should receive the same recognition as "conventional" marriages/de facto.
On the issue of humour I think it is easy to climb onto a very tall soap box and start proclaiming that to use race/sex/sexuality etc. as sources of humour is to be a bigot. I do not entirely agree with this view.
To me jokes like the AIDS one are offensive and not funny in the least.
Films such as Priscilla Queen of the Desert are funny, though, despite satiring drag-queens.
I think the distinction is that the humour is there for the source of the joke as much as for everyone else.
There is a very big difference between humour which is light-hearted and that which is offensive.
I think it is pretty difficult to have humour which does not, at its source, have someone or something as its butt. It is the manner, tone and intent of the delivery which is more important than the content.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: OZ Gov Financial Discrimination of Gay & Les Couples

Originally Posted by Sugo
LOL, that's quite amusing.

Of course, Christians are under no obligation to follow the Law of Moses, so his questions to the fundy were totally irrelevant. A bit like asking a Jew if he celebrates Easter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.