Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

OZ Gov Financial Discrimination of Gay & Les Couples

OZ Gov Financial Discrimination of Gay & Les Couples

Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:37 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OZ Gov Financial Discrimination of Gay & Les Couples

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
It may be 'dangerous' but there is no way to disprove me is there?
Probably not unless I turned up at your place and we went to the local university so I could become some guinea pig. That's why people feel in a comfort zone with their assumptions. They are easy to cling on to and people don't have (or want) to have them proven right but oh how people kick up once they have been disproven!

At the end of the day they are opinons based on no actual evidence, rather circumstansial or incidental/accidental. eg, the guy on the harley with leathers, tattoos and a beard is a threat to me. What is it based on? A stereotype? What is a stereotype? nothing more than an assumption that is gleaned as somehow representing the truth.

Life as a mushroom is just so much easier

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 25th 2007 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Can someone explain to me why I should like homosexuals? Or Asians or blacks or lesbians or jews or migrants or anything else?

I don't care for marmite. Why should I start eating it everyday for breakfast.

I don't like somethings. Thats just the way it is!

Build a bridge and get over it!

Do I believe that that certain groups should be afforded the same rights and privelledges as me?

No!

Why? Well for one thing, let's go back in History shall we. Only 50 odd years.

Who the hell were Allies fighting in World War II? Who was it that was trying to bomb the helll out of my country?

What about 911?

The iraq war?

Who is that dodgy geezer in North Korea with a fondness for dvd's and nuclear weapons?

etc etc etc.

I take everybody on a case by case basis. Or at least try to.
What makes certain people not deserve the same rights as you, please explain what makes them less of a human being.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:41 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

That's more like it.
Cheers Badgey Wadgey Nice of you to drop by
Old Jun 25th 2007, 11:04 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sugo
What makes certain people not deserve the same rights as you, please explain what makes them less of a human being.
Well, I suppose if you have got a muslim migrating to say, England, or NZ, or Australia, what have they done historically to reap the benefits of that country?

Conversely, as a group what have they done to ensure said countries do not flourish?

And then, to top it all, what do they do once they get into said countries?

Whereas, my forefathers and myself have all been in the Army. I kind of think Im entitled to reap the rewards of freedom. The spoils of war if you like. The fact that my forefathers went thru 2 world wars means I see "johnny foreigner" coming over to said countries with a slighty jaundiced view.

Look, it's complicated, and my tiny brain can't work out all the complexities. You could argue we invaded them first, but then we were invaded by the saxons, romans etc. Basically, England was the bitch of Europe at one stage.

I don't think anybody is less human than me. No sirree! We are all swimming in shit at the end of the day.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:56 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I suppose if you have got a muslim migrating to say, England, or NZ, or Australia, what have they done historically to reap the benefits of that country?

Conversely, as a group what have they done to ensure said countries do not flourish?

And then, to top it all, what do they do once they get into said countries?
I thought about this one, my muslim husband has not contributed historically to the UK, he hasn't had the chance as he is too old for the Armed Forces here although has done it in his own country but please give him chance to contribute in other ways.

What has he done since he has arrived in the UK? He has worked his nuts off, to pay his way in life and has never claimed benefits.

He is in a managerial position and has to interview people for jobs and I am afraid to say that some of the 'English' applicants' he has interviewed or had experience in working with, have an attitude/belief that the world owes them a living and have little or no desire to do what it takes to succeed in the working enviroment.

That includes the ones that the job centres send for interviews where the applicants are more than happy to 'stay on the social' while my tax paying 'muslim' husband pays for them and their offspring plus their daily packet of fags.

So whilst he may not have served in the British National Forces, he has more than proven himself in our society.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Human rights are objective, impartial standards that anchor us to a concept of humanity and decency. We need them!
Trouble is, who gets to pick what is a 'human right' and what isn't?

Pablo
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:32 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Pablo
Trouble is, who gets to pick what is a 'human right' and what isn't?

Pablo
Interesting and thought provoking question. Human rights as we know them today are probably relatively new (developed say over the last 50 years or so). However the concept has been around in some form for centuries. I think it's a sort of two steps forward, one step back kind of thing.

They tend to gain ground from contemporary issues that present as political/moral concerns and debated against societal values and traditions. The UN has a charter of human rights but this is basic in some ways and not guaranteed, even by signatory countries, eg: it lists the right to employment as one, but nowhere in the world is there true full employment I think.

Rights to housing, education and healthcare are also included, but again these are not guaranteed in any signatory country as far as I kniow. And even if they are in some countries, the standards may be poor or policies they are delivered by, slanted.

I think ideally all leaders of countries should take with them a list of desired rights as voiced by their citizens to the UN and these should be debated until consensus is reached. This would make them truly universal human rights. The matter should be reviewed every decade or so, so that it stays a living, fresh and vital force for social improvement

Countries that differ on certain rights would still adopt those they agreed to, and all countries should accomodate the expressed desire of their citizens in this regard. This would be a move away from representative democracy to a more pure version.

Representative democracy has long proven to be a dangerous tool in the hands of the wrong people. It needs some limitations and should provide much greater accountability..

Many human rights (or what should be upheld as human rights) are though self-evident IMO. Laws should not be made or enforced that clearly discriminate against persons within a society. Any such laws should be ammended or repealed. All persons within any society should be afforded the same rights, privileges and protections as all other persons residing within it.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jul 5th 2007 at 6:43 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo

Im still going to OZ, and when i come across people who hold the same beliefs as some of the posters on here I will look after them in a professional manner, because I dont hate them, I pity them.
I suppose when it comes down to it I would rather be treated by someone who was gay than someone from the religion of peace.

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/mIiC2...Jihadi-Doctors

Last edited by NedKelly; Jul 5th 2007 at 7:31 pm. Reason: link attached
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Human rights are objective, impartial standards that anchor us to a concept of humanity and decency. We need them!
What about the rights of the victims?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting and thought provoking question. Human rights as we know them today are probably relatively new (developed say over the last 50 years or so). However the concept has been around in some form for centuries. I think it's a sort of two steps forward, one step back kind of thing.

They tend to gain ground from contemporary issues that present as political/moral concerns and debated against societal values and traditions.
Nothing here establishes 'human rights' an an objective, impartial standard. What you describe is no different from positive law mixed with traditions (and traditions are often reflected in positive law).

I think ideally all leaders of countries should take with them a list of desired rights as voiced by their citizens to the UN and these should be debated until consensus is reached. This would make them truly universal human rights. The matter should be reviewed every decade or so, so that it stays a living, fresh and vital force for social improvement
You would like to see certain laws applied to the population of the whole planet. That does not make those laws objectively true or right, merely universally applied by legislators.

Countries that differ on certain rights would still adopt those they agreed to, and all countries should accomodate the expressed desire of their citizens in this regard.
What if the 'expressed desire of their citizens' were mistaken?

This would be a move away from representative democracy to a more pure version.
What is 'a more pure version' of democracy? Direct democracy? Does this somehow establish the objective nature of 'human rights'?

Representative democracy has long proven to be a dangerous tool in the hands of the wrong people.
Who gets to decide who the 'wrong people' are?

Many human rights (or what should be upheld as human rights) are though self-evident IMO.
If they're self-evident, why do they need to be legislated or imposed? If they're not self-evident to everyone, or if what is self-evident to you contradicts what is self-evident to someone else, who gets to decide?

Pablo
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:25 am
Just Joined

XenonII is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Way Hey! Girl On Girl action.
That's so ghey!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:45 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by XenonII
That's so ghey!
I'll look it up and get back to you.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happened to Kiwi_Child? Maybe she hooked up with Mr Backhomewhodoyouthinkyouarekiddingmrhitlerifyouthi nkoldenglandsdoneatlast ...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Whatever happened to Kiwi_Child? Maybe she hooked up with Mr Backhomewhodoyouthinkyouarekiddingmrhitlerifyouthi nkoldenglandsdoneatlast ...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:14 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Stupid Boy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.