Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbournes best kept secrets

Melbournes best kept secrets

Old Aug 16th 2014, 2:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbournes best kept secrets

Since I last posted in this thread we've been to "Mi Peru de Carmen", local to us but apparently the only Peruvian restaurant in Melbourne.

Recommended for a fairly authentic South American experience, the food was different, but fairly basic, which I guess is an accurate reflection of what would be eaten in Peru.

BB
Old Aug 16th 2014, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Since I last posted in this thread we've been to "Mi Peru de Carmen", local to us but apparently the only Peruvian restaurant in Melbourne.

Recommended for a fairly authentic South American experience, the food was different, but fairly basic, which I guess is an accurate reflection of what would be eaten in Peru.

BB

Whats guinea pig taste like then ?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbournes best kept secrets

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Whats guinea pig taste like then ?
Wasn't on the menu! A lot of the food was varieties of chicken and potato and sauce, but next time I go I'll try the ceviche, which is raw fish in lemon juice.

BB
Old Aug 16th 2014, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Thats nice and close, might go there tonight. Have you been to the Panama room or Hell of the North, around Fitzroy Collingwood OS ?

Holiday for two weeks at present, so lots of restaurants in the next couple of weeks, thanks for the tip.
Went to Panama Room few years ago after the infamous Peking Duck at Old Kingdom for post dinner drinks. Don't recall much..

Went to Hell of the North last year for son's birthday - was nice and worthy of a visit but we probably wouldn't return (not because there was anything wrong but just others to try).

Had breakfast your way a couple of weeks ago:
Zaatar - Middle Eastern Food - Location
Very good and will def return.

OH wants to try here tomorrow:
Half Moon Café - Coburg | Urbanspoon

Gotta give it to Melb - there is some very good eating to be done...
Old Aug 16th 2014, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Went to Panama Room few years ago after the infamous Peking Duck at Old Kingdom for post dinner drinks. Don't recall much..

Went to Hell of the North last year for son's birthday - was nice and worthy of a visit but we probably wouldn't return (not because there was anything wrong but just others to try).

Had breakfast your way a couple of weeks ago:
Zaatar - Middle Eastern Food - Location
Very good and will def return.

OH wants to try here tomorrow:
Half Moon Café - Coburg | Urbanspoon

Gotta give it to Melb - there is some very good eating to be done...

It's ok that Half Moon place, but I wouldn't travel suburbs for it. Theres a really nice little place in Ohea st called Little Deer Tracks, which is really unique. Mixed reviews, but it's so different that it probably is worth travelling a suburb or two for. We like it.

Little Deer Tracks - Coburg | Urbanspoon

Not been to that Zaatar place, since it changed owners.....However everyone around here and others reckon that the Melbourne Kebab station is either the best or close to the best in Melbourne... not for eating in though, just a pure Kebab. It's always packed to the point of being annoyingly so... and If there's one thing that Coburg excels at, it's Kebabs.

Melbourne Kebab Station - Coburg | Urbanspoon

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 16th 2014 at 12:25 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 10:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by OzTennis
One of Melbourne's best kept secrets!

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2b779726.jpg
Lovely little place. In fact, I really loved Melbourne and surrounds. If only we were a lot younger I'd be seriously pushing for a move over.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see people still putting suggestions into this thread.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here's one for Ozsheila, not to far from her area. Some people call it the best Malaysian food, rather than restaurant. We go there quite often as there is no better Laksa or Hoikeen Mee around. You can eat in and we do, it's only just a bit better than basic on the ambience side of things though. Good enough for us to drive through two Suburbs.

Jade Kingdom

Jade Kingdom - Rosanna - Heidelberg Heights | Urbanspoon
Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Here's one for Ozsheila, not to far from her area. Some people call it the best Malaysian food, rather than restaurant. We go there quite often as there is no better Laksa or Hoikeen Mee around. You can eat in and we do, it's only just a bit better than basic on the ambience side of things though. Good enough for us to drive through two Suburbs.

Jade Kingdom

Jade Kingdom - Rosanna - Heidelberg Heights | Urbanspoon
We actually prefer the one next door - Rasa Chinta, particularly their Rendang and Char Kway Teow. OH grew up in Malaysia so is a bit fussy when it comes to Malaysian food. That said one of the guys at work is Asian and he has been going to Jade Kingdom since he was knee high and he prefers their food. Let's just say they are both good

Ended up going here for breakfast yesterday and it was very good:
The Eastern Bloc - Coburg | Urbanspoon
Recommend the KGB Breakfast and the Reuben. We'll be returning.

(We'll give Little Deer Tracks a go one day - OH wanted meat in his breakfast yesterday
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to be staying in St Kilda for a few weeks upon our arrival at the end of August.

Even though we have hired an apartment and we will be doing a lot of cooking, actually let me rephrase that I will be doing a lot of cooking. I just wondered are there any nice restaurants in the area that you guys may have tried and tested? Not overly fussed on what kind, I'll give anything a try.

Thanks.

As an add on. We don't want to be spending a fortune on eating out, just yet. Just nice reasonably priced places will be fine. Thanks. ;-)

Last edited by Molly Coddle; Aug 18th 2014 at 12:38 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
We are going to be staying in St Kilda for a few weeks upon our arrival at the end of August.

Even though we have hired an apartment and we will be doing a lot of cooking, actually let me rephrase that I will be doing a lot of cooking. I just wondered are there any nice restaurants in the area that you guys may have tried and tested? Not overly fussed on what kind, I'll give anything a try.

Thanks.
See reviews for 175 on Trip Advisor:

Best St Kilda, Australia Restaurants: See 175 restaurants with 3,672 reviews - TripAdvisor

They range from Vegetarian to Seafood to Italian to Mexican to ...... you name it.

Old Aug 18th 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
See reviews for 175 on Trip Advisor:

Best St Kilda, Australia Restaurants: See 175 restaurants with 3,672 reviews - TripAdvisor

They range from Vegetarian to Seafood to Italian to Mexican to ...... you name it.

Paul Kelly - From St.Kilda to Kings Cross - YouTube
Oh good one Oz. I'll have a good look at that, thanks!
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OzSheila
We actually prefer the one next door - Rasa Chinta, particularly their Rendang and Char Kway Teow. OH grew up in Malaysia so is a bit fussy when it comes to Malaysian food. That said one of the guys at work is Asian and he has been going to Jade Kingdom since he was knee high and he prefers their food. Let's just say they are both good

Ended up going here for breakfast yesterday and it was very good:
The Eastern Bloc - Coburg | Urbanspoon
Recommend the KGB Breakfast and the Reuben. We'll be returning.

(We'll give Little Deer Tracks a go one day - OH wanted meat in his breakfast yesterday

Might suggest this place to my wife today, She's got two brand new steam cleaners, one floor, one hand, and using our holiday time to steam clean every bloody thing she sets eyes on. So as a break after her next 5 or 6 hour stint, we may take a 5 mins walk to the EB, which has had me intrigued since I first noticed it.

Almost the time of year for rooftop eating, I've only been to rooftop bars, Does anyone have any suggestions for rooftop restaurants ? Owise I'll just take pot luck. Might get a nice day in the next week or two.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 18th 2014 at 7:28 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:36 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Melbournes best kept secrets

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
We are going to be staying in St Kilda. I just wondered are there any nice restaurants in the area that you guys may have tried and tested?
There are gazillions of restaurants in St Kilda and it's a big "young backpacker" area so I can only guess there must be a good selection of cheap ones.

For a start, the Stokehouse down on the bay is very good, it was destroyed by fire but I think it is being rebuilt and may even be finished when you arrive.

It had an expensive restaurant upstairs and a cheaper one downstairs. The cheap one was very nice.

BB
Old Aug 19th 2014, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

In the surrounding areas of st Kilda, port Melbourne - Swallows Rubira's @ Swallows - Rubiras @ Swallows - share a main course - great fish
Breakfast lunch - Balderdash in Bay Street, PM
The Graham - Port Melbourne a la carte Restaurant, Wine Bar - The Graham Hotel - pricier but great
O'Connell's another good gastro pub
Malaysian in Ackland Street Chinta Ria Soul St Kilda

I used to eat regularly at all these and very good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.