Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Melbournes best kept secrets

Melbournes best kept secrets

Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbournes best kept secrets

I nicked this post from another thread...forgive me.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
And so back to melbourne...... LOL

Melbourne's advantage over other Australian cities is it has a bit more going on, a lot of it sport, but some arts, plenty of dining etc. Plus a variety of weekend options, flight to syd or canberra, adelaide, or drive to the coast, or occasionally snow in driving distance, proper ski resorts too far for a weekend in reality.

Its weather for me is the biggest advantage, the very weather that Melb born people whinge about, the windy, rainy, grey days. I dont know why some expats deny melb has this weather, those days are the best ones IMO, you can dress up

Although there is a bit more going on its not on a scale of London, New york etc, I wouldn't move across the world for Melbourne, but its just a good choice out of the Australian options. Expensive though, particularly housing and taxes/duties associated with housing.

One thing I havent really experience mentioned in that survey as great is health care, is it that good? I hope so, but nurses, paramedics, striking and marching about health care does not give that impression

We've just been up to Cairns, wonderful diving trip but and I couldn't settle there Melbourne would make any top city list after that place, But lets face it to someone else that could be a dream
Jad I wanted to comment on this great post. But the thread was locked. So this is a bit off-topic and perhaps would be better elsewhere. I might even post it in the "Any Poms returning?"

All public sector workers have striked at some point- it is indeed a first world issue.

Melbourne is indeed not New York or London (even if in the 19th c it was important) but believe it or not, it does not pretend to be - we lose our best stars to European cities - and so we should. People move from provincial towns in England to London - so we expect to lose people after their education and emergence in Melbourne to say, the Berlin Opera.

I agree with all you say. For me, Melbourne really does represent a good intersection between country/city. Yes, it may not pay to move from London for all - but it might.

I could easily live in rural England but I wonder if a nearby provincial UK city could offer what Melbourne offers, it simply cannot. There are not the beaches or ski resorts nearby. Would I find the rural village we live in here - yes - but it would cost. I find Melbourne an easy place to strike into - and I think it outperforms most of the UK's cities. People often talk about how insular Australians are - well as a matter of fact, I find local English people rather insular. Just watching UK TV demonstrates this - especially the like of 'Escape to the Country'! Classic little Englanders! My wife and I were joking about a move to Scotland until we realised that we could move somewhere - to a rural town - and find the locals insular and not well-travelled. The truth is - become an expat and you become a travelled person of sorts- and the locals anywhere suddenly seem inexperienced - so stay near a city.

The longer you stay somewhere - the more you put down roots.
We are starting to get to a situation where our lives in Melb are where they might have been in London - except we prefer the Melb experience. And it is not as bad as some expats make out - you find the niche little corners, the people you knew elsewhere are here too. They come out of the corners. And the weather is nicer. I am a member of quite a few little clubs and societies and it's all good.

I grew up in London so I don't miss it. But of course, London is not the entire UK - and many English people actually seem to resent the way London is taken far too seriously in the media. I keep up with the English media and the comments people post and there is a lot of resentment over the darlings in London.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really excited about this, I've just found out tonight that David Attenborough is coming to Melbourne, St Kilda to be precise.

Palais Theatre, St Kilda, Melbourne - SIR DAVID ATTENBOROUGH

Anyone going? I'm not sure if there's any tickets left yet, I'll ring them up tomorrow and find out I hope I can get a few. Is anyone familiar with this theatre?
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
I'm really excited about this, I've just found out tonight that David Attenborough is coming to Melbourne, St Kilda to be precise.

Palais Theatre, St Kilda, Melbourne - SIR DAVID ATTENBOROUGH

Anyone going? I'm not sure if there's any tickets left yet, I'll ring them up tomorrow and find out I hope I can get a few. Is anyone familiar with this theatre?
Yep, was a picture theatre (went to the 'flicks' there when I was a kid), iconic art deco building, was going to be renovated for megabucks but redevelopment didn't go ahead, great location nr the seafront, according to this article published today it's doing well:

No Cookies | Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/c...-1227081581066

Enjoy, David Attenborough is a national treasure. As it just so happens the Telegraph ran an article on his '5 greatest moments' today:

David Attenborough's 5 greatest moments - Telegraph
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yep, was a picture theatre (went to the 'flicks' there when I was a kid), iconic art deco building, was going to be renovated for megabucks but redevelopment didn't go ahead, great location nr the seafront, according to this article published today it's doing well:

No Cookies | Herald Sun

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Enjoy, David Attenborough is a national treasure. As it just so happens the Telegraph ran an article on his '5 greatest moments' today:

David Attenborough's 5 greatest moments - Telegraph

Yeah it looks a great building, currently got scaffolding up the side, it'll look good when it's all been done up.

Seating plan wise, I was trying to work out a good seat that wasn't too far away and not too expensive. I'm buying four tickets so could become a costly business. ( I'm taking my mum )

He is a great bloke isn't he, I've always thought so from being small. There's been a programme on Aussie TV about him lately, showing all the best bits of his career, it was suburb. Love him and the work he's done. Total respect for the guy
Old Oct 13th 2014, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it looks a great building, currently got scaffolding up the side, it'll look good when it's all been done up.

Seating plan wise, I was trying to work out a good seat that wasn't too far away and not too expensive. I'm buying four tickets so could become a costly business. ( I'm taking my mum )

He is a great bloke isn't he, I've always thought so from being small. There's been a programme on Aussie TV about him lately, showing all the best bits of his career, it was suburb. Love him and the work he's done. Total respect for the guy
A great, of course.
But presumably we will see the likes of him again, just in a newer guise.
What about the man who presents 'Deadly 60!'
Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A great, of course.
But presumably we will see the likes of him again, just in a newer guise.
What about the man who presents 'Deadly 60!'
Sure they'll be someone who'll come along and try to fill his boots, another keen naturalist perhaps but there will never be another David Attenborough, he's one of kind. You know that.

My kids used to watch Deadly 60 ( so did I, with them) back in the UK. Steve Backshall who presents it is OK, he makes it interesting and exciting for the kids. He reminds me a lot of Steve Irwin with his hyper personality.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

People of Melbourne, what have you got planned for Christmas?

Beach, or home ?

Any good tips to give for us newbies on where to go, what to do?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Beach, or home ?

I am half person of melbourne well nearly there......

Past Xmas in melbourne have been varied.

2 campervan holidays, during the few weeks there, one year it was 4C at night, couple of years on it was 44C The vans AC only worked when you were driving so it was keep driving or die By February that year where we camped burnt down in massive bushfires.

Onwards and upwards the last Christmas we had there my scientist cousin who is a very flamboyant gay gentleman picked sons and I up in a red convertible, much to sons horror and my amusement we crammed in & toured melbourne then stopped at prahn? markets and bought crayfish and loads of other luxury items which he then cooked up served as a 5 course meal on linen, crystal, and the finest wines. Exquisite.

Once we live there, umm, I would like to do a Christmas party at the house, its going to be a 3 storey warehouse on a massive hill with views of melbourne, so would love to hold a party on the roof terrace, dress code 1920 - 1950 fashion, to go with the style of the house. If your here next year, your invited.

This year, packing and cleaning and fixing for the move
Old Dec 15th 2014, 7:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbournes best kept secrets

Beach, or home ?

Christmas day itself we are with 4 families of BE-ers who we have known for many years.

Boxing day onward we will be camping and wakeboarding at Lake Eildon, about 2 hours outside Melbourne.

For newbies - I recommend the beach. In future years you will take it for granted and not use it so much so make the most of it while it is fresh!

BB
Old Dec 15th 2014, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

2 different celebrations on different days, one for the veggies and vegans and a spit roast with the lot for the carnivores. All done at home this year. Jan 2nd I'm all day (well 2pm till late) partying with 15K+ Melbourne Victory fans in Geelong That should be interesting. I doubt if Geelong realises whats going to happen that day, as MV have a full top of the table A league game scheduled in Geelong that day for the first time.

Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I am half person of melbourne well nearly there......

Past Xmas in melbourne have been varied.

2 campervan holidays, during the few weeks there, one year it was 4C at night, couple of years on it was 44C The vans AC only worked when you were driving so it was keep driving or die By February that year where we camped burnt down in massive bushfires.

Onwards and upwards the last Christmas we had there my scientist cousin who is a very flamboyant gay gentleman picked sons and I up in a red convertible, much to sons horror and my amusement we crammed in & toured melbourne then stopped at prahn? markets and bought crayfish and loads of other luxury items which he then cooked up served as a 5 course meal on linen, crystal, and the finest wines. Exquisite.

Once we live there, umm, I would like to do a Christmas party at the house, its going to be a 3 storey warehouse on a massive hill with views of melbourne, so would love to hold a party on the roof terrace, dress code 1920 - 1950 fashion, to go with the style of the house. If your here next year, your invited.

This year, packing and cleaning and fixing for the move

Lol Jad. You always have a story to tell

I bet you can't wait for your new pad, it sounds like it's going to be amazing. A great place to host a party and thank you for the invite. I'd love to come if I'm able. Any excuse to get dressed up, I love the 20's fashion, mind you I love the 30's 40's 50's and 60's too. To hell with the 70's fashion, it was God damn awful, the crap my parents dressed me in the 70's doesn't bear thinking about. Example, brown corduroy flares for a little girl, I mean come on mother.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Christmas day itself we are with 4 families of BE-ers who we have known for many years.

Boxing day onward we will be camping and wakeboarding at Lake Eildon, about 2 hours outside Melbourne.

For newbies - I recommend the beach. In future years you will take it for granted and not use it so much so make the most of it while it is fresh!

BB
Sounds great BB, yep I think it's looking like we are going to try the beach option. Spent the day at Sorrento the other day, beuuuuutiful place. The waves were scary though, absolutely massive, great to watch but no good for a beginner surfer like me.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
2 different celebrations on different days, one for the veggies and vegans and a spit roast with the lot for the carnivores. All done at home this year. Jan 2nd I'm all day (well 2pm till late) partying with 15K+ Melbourne Victory fans in Geelong That should be interesting. I doubt if Geelong realises whats going to happen that day, as MV have a full top of the table A league game scheduled in Geelong that day for the first time.

Sounds good Ozzie but feel sorry for the chef.

Good luck with the game. I bet they'll be a good buzz in the air that day. hope it goes without a hiccup.