Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:42 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was having the 'Queensland isn't exactly the progressive thinking capital of the World' chat with some Aussies at the cricket yesterday.

It was that 'post-Lunch nothing much happening on the field' atmosphere.

I knew in their hearts that they realised that they were living on the set of Deliverance.

When the chat turned to casual racism I swear it was 1984.

I half expected Dennis Lillee to come on to bowl.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:45 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I was having the 'Queensland isn't exactly the progressive thinking capital of the World' chat with some Aussies at the cricket yesterday.

It was that 'post-Lunch nothing much happening on the field' atmosphere.

I knew in their hearts that they realised that they were living on the set of Deliverance.

When the chat turned to casual racism I swear it was 1984.

I half expected Dennis Lillee to come on to bowl.
Really?

I'm in the wrong city
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:47 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Probably after the Midwife slapped your arse.
and his head......
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:13 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

A conscience vote means the caucus vote is irrelevant. The libs have their own stacking issues and there is a big battle in NSW between right and left. The libs are more disciplined in toeing the party line giving the impression of unity.

With a constituency system there will always be a dilemma between the national and local needs. The more marginal the seat the more local needs take priority.

It will be interesting to see how much voting power gets handed back to the labour membership. There is recognition that the current system is eating at labour.

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Sadly not. Here you get ALP caucus making a decision, stacked branch meetings making a decision, union powerbrokers making a decision, and the party enforcing it under threat of expulsion. That's how half the crap that the people don't want gets forced upon them....

A conscience vote simply removes those shackles and then the politician votes how they personally feel...

What SHOULD happen is the politician should represent the majority feeling of his/her electorate on each issue. It very rarely happens.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:20 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I'm in favour - Why on earth shouldn't two people be allowed to commit their lives to eachother? But I'd rather it be named something different to marriage...
But the point is they want equality - the right to get 'married', 'have a marriage'. Call it anything different and it's perpetuating the inferiority.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
The Labor Party just voted to support same-sex marriage in Australia and may be put before Parliament.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/labor...203-1oc4d.html

What are your thoughts?
They have as much right as anyone to be as happy, miserable, or somewhere in between, as the rest of us are in our marriages.

The sanctity of marriage thing is hilarious. All of the people who decry it as the downfall of society obviously have their heads in the sand. Let's see...50% divorce rate, Britney Spears type 24 hr. marriage, fundamental LDSers with their twenty wives.

P.S. we've had legal same sex marriage in Canada and 2005 and last time I checked, the country hadn't imploded from it. It's a marriage, not a civil union, or other such euphemisms. If churches don't want to perform them, fine, but the state cannot discriminate.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:53 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
But the point is they want equality - the right to get 'married', 'have a marriage'. Call it anything different and it's perpetuating the inferiority.
My mistake, I thought it was all about establishing a legally recognised loving partnership between two people of the same sex.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:55 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
My mistake, I thought it was all about establishing a legally recognised loving partnership between two people of the same sex.
Yes it is. It's called 'marriage'
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with it but think they should call it something other than "marriage" as marriage is between a man and a woman. I think a lot of people would be happier with that option.

My brother is gay lives with his partner and they have no intention of getting wed. However I do believe after living with him for many many years now longer than most marriages they should have the rights of married people with regard to super, inheritance, burial etc. At the present time they have no rights.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:08 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I agree with it but think they should call it something other than "marriage" as marriage is between a man and a woman.
Why is marriage between a man and a woman? Because we said so? Why can't we now say otherwise?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:13 pm

Looks like the definition of marriage is between two people regardless as to whether they are same sex or not - therefore it would be the correct term.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/marriage
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I think it should be called something else because it will be more palatable for the masses.

I also think that there will be more support for the union of gay people if its called something else. I do not see it getting passed if the wonderful "marriage" word is part of the process.

Homophobia is alive and well.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Originally Posted by Japonica
The sanctity of marriage thing is hilarious. All of the people who decry it as the downfall of society obviously have their heads in the sand. Let's see...50% divorce rate, Britney Spears type 24 hr. marriage, fundamental LDSers with their twenty wives.
Looking at these 2 comments, then it could be argued that marriage is the inferior thing, and why on earth would a group of people want the ability to sign up to an inferior arrangement.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a same-sex marriage. We have the same old sex, first Saturday of every month. I hadn't realised I was committing a criminal offence..
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Looking at these 2 comments, then it could be argued that marriage is the inferior thing, and why on earth would a group of people want the ability to sign up to an inferior arrangement.
I'd rather be a hip, liberated, stylish gun slinging metrosexual. If someone coins a term less stuffy and old hat than marriage then I'll be envious. Calling it something else just reiterates outdated homophobia and prejudice. So, on that basis there's a good chance the Aussies will label it 'queer union' or 'bender partnerships'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.