Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:34 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Legal Same-Sex Marriage coming to Australia?

Does Becks in those undies do it for you?

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'd rather be a hip, liberated, stylish gun slinging metrosexual. If someone coins a term less stuffy and old hat than marriage then I'll be envious. Calling it something else just reiterates outdated homophobia and prejudice. So, on that basis there's a good chance the Aussies will label it 'queer union' or 'bender partnerships'
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I think something that would sway the masses in Australia is to let them in on the secret that gay parents are seen as single parents. Therefore someone can stay home on the single parents benefit while their live in partner earns a couple of hundred grand a year. Don't know if this is still the case, but I know it was a few years ago when I spoke to friends in that situation.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather be a hip, liberated, stylish gun slinging metrosexual. If someone coins a term less stuffy and old hat than marriage then I'll be envious. Calling it something else just reiterates outdated homophobia and prejudice. So, on that basis there's a good chance the Aussies will label it 'queer union' or 'bender partnerships'
I could live with that, but never marriage.

Leaving my homophopia to one side I think it's something which is impossible to give. Just because someone wants something doesn't mean it's possible to let them have it. For example what happens to someone who left school with the minimum exam results says they want a degree. They won't settle for a CSE as it's inferior at it's not their fault they're not clever enough, it's down to their DNA of which they have no control. All they want is equality!

So no it can't be marriage.

Keel
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:23 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel

Leaving my homophopia to one side I think it's something which is impossible to give. Just because someone wants something doesn't mean it's possible to let them have it. For example what happens to someone who left school with the minimum exam results says they want a degree. They won't settle for a CSE as it's inferior at it's not their fault they're not clever enough, it's down to their DNA of which they have no control. All they want is equality!

Keel
Are you about 90?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Sadly not. Here you get ALP caucus making a decision, stacked branch meetings making a decision, union powerbrokers making a decision, and the party enforcing it under threat of expulsion. That's how half the crap that the people don't want gets forced upon them....

A conscience vote simply removes those shackles and then the politician votes how they personally feel...

What SHOULD happen is the politician should represent the majority feeling of his/her electorate on each issue. It very rarely happens.
Originally Posted by IvanM
A conscience vote means the caucus vote is irrelevant. The libs have their own stacking issues and there is a big battle in NSW between right and left. The libs are more disciplined in toeing the party line giving the impression of unity.

With a constituency system there will always be a dilemma between the national and local needs. The more marginal the seat the more local needs take priority.

It will be interesting to see how much voting power gets handed back to the labour membership. There is recognition that the current system is eating at labour.
Yes, Gillard has only pushed for a conscience vote knowing full well that it will fail because the Liberals and the Labour Left won't support it. This isn't official Labour party policy - even JG herself doesn't support it, so it will ultimately end up being a complete waste of time and money, and will be very unlikely to develop any basis in law. This is a double win for JG though - She declares it a conscience vote, and when it's defeated she can just shrug it off as not being party policy.

The aspect of a conscience vote that irritates me is exactly as Slap describes - The vote should pass to the regards of the constituents, not the conscience of the individual MP. In reality, your wishes come third in line after the MP's respective party, and then their views on a conscience vote. And yet, strangely they are meant to be there representing us.

If Tony Abbot really wants to get one over on JG, then he should really instruct the liberal party to vote for it, while highlighting how it is JG that is against it. He would gain massive support, and can placate his right wing followers that this was all Labour's idea. But given the far right leaning of the LNP supporter base, I can't see that happening. This is nothing but playing politics to maintain the status quo.

S
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:30 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Keel
But its nothing like that. If you want to use the educational analogy, then you'd say that someone who got CSEs (they're not called that now, but I don't want to confuse you) couldn't go to Uni because they weren't clever enough, so that isn't fair.

Except they can, they just have to do a foundation course first - so they get the same opportunity they just have to go about it in a different way.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:46 am

Gillard was against but gave into the conscience vote option as a compromise. Supposedly it is certain QLD mps who are against. Abbott is vehemently anti gay marriage but needs to shake off his religious right stigma.

I think a referendum would be rather expensive. In a few years people will wonder what the fuss was about. A bit like when Aborigines were allowed to vote.
Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, Gillard has only pushed for a conscience vote knowing full well that it will fail because the Liberals and the Labour Left won't support it. This isn't official Labour party policy - even JG herself doesn't support it, so it will ultimately end up being a complete waste of time and money, and will be very unlikely to develop any basis in law. This is a double win for JG though - She declares it a conscience vote, and when it's defeated she can just shrug it off as not being party policy.

The aspect of a conscience vote that irritates me is exactly as Slap describes - The vote should pass to the regards of the constituents, not the conscience of the individual MP. In reality, your wishes come third in line after the MP's respective party, and then their views on a conscience vote. And yet, strangely they are meant to be there representing us.

If Tony Abbot really wants to get one over on JG, then he should really instruct the liberal party to vote for it, while highlighting how it is JG that is against it. He would gain massive support, and can placate his right wing followers that this was all Labour's idea. But given the far right leaning of the LNP supporter base, I can't see that happening. This is nothing but playing politics to maintain the status quo.

S
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:49 am

Nigeria has just passed some laws more towards your liking.

Keel
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
But its nothing like that. If you want to use the educational analogy, then you'd say that someone who got CSEs (they're not called that now, but I don't want to confuse you) couldn't go to Uni because they weren't clever enough, so that isn't fair.

Except they can, they just have to do a foundation course first - so they get the same opportunity they just have to go about it in a different way.
But if a foundation course is beyond their ability? The level of intelligence is somewhat influenced by DNA. If you aint got it then you aint got it and no amount of courses will give them a degree.

I know they're not called CSE's anymore but that is what I left school with.

Keel
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you about 90?
What has my age got to do with this? Do you think that at a certain age my views are no longer valid?

Keel
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Nigeria has just passed some laws more towards your liking.
What they're giving away degrees with every CSE?

Equality at last.

Keel
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:55 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

It could become legal, just as long as it doesn't become compulsory, then we'd all be buggered.
Personally I see marriage as more of a religious statement [holy matrimony], the bonding of a man & a woman under the watchful eye of God etc. yadda yadda.
Should politics interfere with religion? If Govt. approves legislation will the church be prosecuted for sexism if they refuse to marry same sex couples?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Gillard was against but gave into the conscience vote option as a compromise. Supposedly it is certain QLD mps who are against. Abbott is vehemently anti gay marriage but needs to shake off his religious right stigma.

I think a referendum would be rather expensive. In a few years people will wonder what the fuss was about. A bit like when Aborigines were allowed to vote.

Yes, a referendum would be expensive - but do you think it would be a better way to go than this conscience vote?

Personally, I am completely in favour of it, largely for the reason that if LGB folk are allowed to get married in same sex marriages, then it won't have ANY impact on me or anybody else whatsoever.

And as for the suggestion that it be called something else, well that's frankly laughable. I wonder if such things were ever suggested in South Africa during the apartheid years? You can just imagine it - "Of course blacks can get married, but we just call it by a different name..."

S
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:00 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

The church has a lot to answer for no wonder people no longer engage with its outdated thousands of years old teachings
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Are homo sapiens the only creatures that have homos and lesbians or is it evolutionary from a fish or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.