Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

learning to drive in oz

learning to drive in oz

Old Aug 17th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

You know..there is realy no HAVE to...learn to drive...in my family we are late learn to drivers..my mother was in her 40's...i was 30..same as my sister....i have one brother who lives in Sydney..he is in his late 30's...has never driven a car...and has no intentions of ever learning.

It is all about personal choice realy. If you don't want to do it then don't. However what i am hearing is that..your husband wants you to..and you are....not wanting to..is it fear?

Fear is the greatest thing in life that holds us back..but honestly..i think migrating to a new country is more fear-some than driving..but easy for me to say that now i have my licence and love to drive. Fear stopped me so for long from doing it..but now i can't imagine my life without it. It realy changed my life...the independance i feel...the get in the car and go anywhere anytime i want to........

i truly wish you all the best..and can empathise with you............what i would like to suggest..is a driving school...they have people who are experienced with understanding how it feels with those first few rattling nerves.........it just may not be as bad as you think...
Old Aug 18th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think they need amber lights too.

Another thing is when the lights change and you're turning. If there's a crossing you have a green light, but the pedestrians are going across and you have to wait - in the UK you have a red light while they are crossing. That's a much better way IMO. I know my OH nearly got someone when he bought his car
i had to think about this a bit till i got it...LOL..i agree!!!
Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
i had to think about this a bit till i got it...LOL..i agree!!!
I am in the same situation, don't want to drive but to make things easy for me I know I have to as OH won't be around all the time. Now 9yr old wants me to get a sports car so we can go on girly days out.(her words not mine) Kids. So think I will make it a priority and make it one of the first things I do when I get there.
Sandra
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

IMO, especially over here, it will make things a whole lot easier if you can drive. Back in the UK, most things are close by, buses every 10 mins (well where I lived anyway!), but obviously here things are spread out.

Easy for me to say, as I have now done it - but it has to be the best thing I have ever done, I've only been driving since April 06', but I really don't know how I used to manage before !!! I bet our local taxi firm's takings went down after I passed ! As mapleleaf said -
'independance' - no need to rely or having to wait for anyone else, just being able to jump into your car is great.

Also, as I said before, most learn in Auto's here, so as long as you know which pedal is stop & go, you should be right !! lol !!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by charb
IMO, especially over here, it will make things a whole lot easier if you can drive. Back in the UK, most things are close by, buses every 10 mins (well where I lived anyway!), but obviously here things are spread out.

Easy for me to say, as I have now done it - but it has to be the best thing I have ever done, I've only been driving since April 06', but I really don't know how I used to manage before !!! I bet our local taxi firm's takings went down after I passed ! As mapleleaf said -
'independance' - no need to rely or having to wait for anyone else, just being able to jump into your car is great.

Also, as I said before, most learn in Auto's here, so as long as you know which pedal is stop & go, you should be right !! lol !!

hmmmm i have heard this before.that most learn in autos..? funny enough..i learned in a manual..as did my family and friends....just check but i am sure they changed it ...learn to drive in an auto..you can only drive an auto..or am i still half asleep...???.

and yes it does bring a lot of independance and freedom.i was able to do night classes after i got my licence..husband didn't have to drive to pick me up so therefore..no moaning about it ..heheee
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

hmmmm i have heard this before.that most learn in autos..? funny enough..i learned in a manual..as did my family and friends....just check but i am sure they changed it ...learn to drive in an auto..you can only drive an auto..or am i still half asleep...???.

and yes it does bring a lot of independance and freedom.i was able to do night classes after i got my licence..husband didn't have to drive to pick me up so therefore..no moaning about it ..heheee
Yeh pretty sure that's right, learn in an auto & that's all you can drive. I passed in a manual in the UK, glad I did.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sandav
I am in the same situation, don't want to drive but to make things easy for me I know I have to as OH won't be around all the time. Now 9yr old wants me to get a sports car so we can go on girly days out.(her words not mine) Kids. So think I will make it a priority and make it one of the first things I do when I get there.
Sandra
[SIZE="3"]
woo hooo a sports car....well they are in australia..but certainly not that many of them around..hmmmm...i see them everywhere here in Canada..a lot more than back in Oz..

and how lovely to have girly days..out shopping...scarves blowing in the breeze...dark sunglasses......what a cool little nine year old you have!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from South Australia, where you can learn in an Auto and drive a manual as soon as you get your P plates (even though you won't have a clue how to )
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Apart from South Australia, where you can learn in an Auto and drive a manual as soon as you get your P plates (even though you won't have a clue how to )
P plates & bunny hops - not a good look ! lol !
Old Aug 19th 2007, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charb
P plates & bunny hops - not a good look ! lol !

I think its a mental idea.....
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

thought you might like to know that i took my first driving lesson yesterday it went well no tears only hit a post on reversing but i only hit one and it was my first attempt at it

looking forward to getting in the car again

i have to say that i was shi***ng it though was in great need for a lie down and a fag after the drama and mr h was very good
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
thought you might like to know that i took my first driving lesson yesterday it went well no tears only hit a post on reversing but i only hit one and it was my first attempt at it

i have to say that i was shi***ng it though was in great need for a lie down and a fag after the drama and mr h was very good
Oooo excellent - well done you
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I need to learn to drive too.

What is approx cost per lesson in OZ?
I want to learn but havent got a clue on costs? Also will probably have a teen wanting to learn in the next year or so. So hoping its not too pricey.

Living rural and not driving is no fun in the heat!

I was going to learn in Eastern Europe (you can bribe the examiner!) but they drive like maniacs. Trust me Oz drivers are way better.

GEMS
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gems
I need to learn to drive too.

What is approx cost per lesson in OZ?
I want to learn but havent got a clue on costs? Also will probably have a teen wanting to learn in the next year or so. So hoping its not too pricey.

Living rural and not driving is no fun in the heat!

I was going to learn in Eastern Europe (you can bribe the examiner!) but they drive like maniacs. Trust me Oz drivers are way better.

GEMS

My instructor charges $55 per hour lesson. He did say that he knows some that charge up to $75 though Also with the petrol going up, it may be that they are putting their lesson prices up.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hitchcock71

HEY!!! ~*~**~congrutalions!!!~*~*~*~ well done!!! you are an inspiration....