Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

learning to drive in oz

learning to drive in oz

Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:04 pm
  #31  
C&R
Always the last to leave.
 
C&R's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,399
C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by nicopa View Post
Don't forget that Australians are probably the worst drivers in the world and drive very slowly and dangerously.
The have 3 times the fatal accident rate of civilised countries.
I agree, every day when I watch the news there is a crash reported. The latest one today showed a car that was literally wrapped round a lampost.
C&R is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:14 pm
  #32  
BE Forum Addict
 
Maple Leaf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver island! BC Canada~ Lovin it!
Posts: 1,883
Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
UK (and a few other countries) licence holders just do a straight swap, they changed it all last year (or may be the year before, time's going so fast I can't keep up! )
Excellent! that is good news!
Maple Leaf is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:29 pm
  #33  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by nicopa View Post
Don't forget that Australians are probably the worst drivers in the world and drive very slowly and dangerously.
The have 3 times the fatal accident rate of civilised countries.

According to statics there is one fatal crash per day where I now live, where I lived in the UK there were at least that per hour.

Can't speak for other parts of Oz, or the UK as I didn't live there so didn't really care.
Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:41 pm
  #34  
BE Forum Addict
 
Maple Leaf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver island! BC Canada~ Lovin it!
Posts: 1,883
Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

QUOTE=nicopa;5201932]Don't forget that Australians are probably the worst drivers in the world and drive very slowly and dangerously.
The have 3 times the fatal accident rate of civilised countries.[/QUOTE]

i was going to say something..but changed my mind
Maple Leaf is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:55 pm
  #35  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post

i was going to say something..but changed my mind
Were you gonna say what I was....my you're a ray of sunshine aint ya!
Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:56 pm
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
 
Maple Leaf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver island! BC Canada~ Lovin it!
Posts: 1,883
Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Were you gonna say what I was....my you're a ray of sunshine aint ya!
Maple Leaf is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:01 pm
  #37  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
hitchcock71's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: yangebup perth au
Posts: 2,505
hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

thanks guys really making me want to learn to drive in oz but i could use all of it as an excuse to why i still haven't learnt to drive
hitchcock71 is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:03 pm
  #38  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by hitchcock71 View Post
thanks guys really making me want to learn to drive in oz but i could use all of it as an excuse to why i still haven't learnt to drive

It's good fun mate

I prefer it to learning in the UK, it's so much easier here
Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:08 pm
  #39  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
hitchcock71's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: yangebup perth au
Posts: 2,505
hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

but i dont want to learn to drive

iam toooooooooooooooo old

i am being forced to by mr hitchcock and i dont like it
hitchcock71 is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:10 pm
  #40  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by hitchcock71 View Post
but i dont want to learn to drive

iam toooooooooooooooo old

i am being forced to by mr hitchcock and i dont like it

You will when you get here and you have to rely on your OH or the bus to go anywhere. I can't wait to get my licence, I'll be out all the time. That'll teach my other half - he's a boring old fart
Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:11 pm
  #41  
BE Forum Addict
 
Maple Leaf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver island! BC Canada~ Lovin it!
Posts: 1,883
Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
It's good fun mate

I prefer it to learning in the UK, it's so much easier here
good to see some positivity!......fact is ..if you are moving to australia...you will *probably* be driving...best to look on the bright side and there are plenty.

i have not had anyone i know...die in a car crash....yes there have been a few minor accidents etc......but nothing fatal.

Bad accidents do happen....everywhere.....not just in Australia....not all Australian drivers..are bad..just like not all..UK Canadian or American drivers are bad.

I always found driving in Australia easy going....but i am not a fearful driver..my mother for instance would never drive in Sydney...hehehee......I have worked in Airport Transport....and have had to drive through all sorts of weather and road conditions through Sydney.....most drivers there are curteous...will let you in.....pass...etc.................................

..................good on ya aussie drivers

Now i am in Canada..i can say there are a few things here that Australia could benefit from..one in particular...is a overhead amber flashing light ..to warn that up ahead...the Lights are about to turn Red.....great road assistance!!!!.......
Maple Leaf is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:14 pm
  #42  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
good to see some positivity!......fact is ..if you are moving to australia...you will *probably* be driving...best to look on the bright side and there are plenty.

i have not had anyone i know...die in a car crash....yes there have been a few minor accidents etc......but nothing fatal.

Bad accidents do happen....everywhere.....not just in Australia....not all Australian drivers..are bad..just like not all..UK Canadian or American drivers are bad.

I always found driving in Australia easy going....but i am not a fearful driver..my mother for instance would never drive in Sydney...hehehee......I have worked in Airport Transport....and have had to drive through all sorts of weather and road conditions through Sydney.....most drivers there are curteous...will let you in.....pass...etc.................................

..................good on ya aussie drivers

Now i am in Canada..i can say there are a few things here that Australia could benefit from..one in particular...is a overhead amber flashing light ..to warn that up ahead...the Lights are about to turn Red.....great road assistance!!!!.......
I think they need amber lights too.

Another thing is when the lights change and you're turning. If there's a crossing you have a green light, but the pedestrians are going across and you have to wait - in the UK you have a red light while they are crossing. That's a much better way IMO. I know my OH nearly got someone when he bought his car
Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:15 pm
  #43  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
hitchcock71's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: yangebup perth au
Posts: 2,505
hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
You will when you get here and you have to rely on your OH or the bus to go anywhere. I can't wait to get my licence, I'll be out all the time. That'll teach my other half - he's a boring old fart
i do that in the uk so why cant i get a bus train etc in oz i dont need/want to drive


why does no one understand !?

crys in to her hankie
hitchcock71 is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:19 pm
  #44  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by hitchcock71 View Post
i do that in the uk so why cant i get a bus train etc in oz i dont need/want to drive


why does no one understand !?

crys in to her hankie

Cos it's hard work. To get to the best shoopping centre it's two buses, whereas in the car it's straight there, plus I don't have to lug all that shopping on the bus (or two buses)

If you want to go to the beach but your OH is at work, you have to catch one or two buses, again if you drive it's straight there.

When you take the kids to school in 40+ degrees and it's a 10 minute walk, by the time you get back you're burned to a crisp and can't walk for the rest of the day. In a car - no worries straight there
Wendy is offline  
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:23 pm
  #45  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
hitchcock71's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: yangebup perth au
Posts: 2,505
hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Cos it's hard work. To get to the best shoopping centre it's two buses, whereas in the car it's straight there, plus I don't have to lug all that shopping on the bus (or two buses)

If you want to go to the beach but your OH is at work, you have to catch one or two buses, again if you drive it's straight there.

When you take the kids to school in 40+ degrees and it's a 10 minute walk, by the time you get back you're burned to a crisp and can't walk for the rest of the day. In a car - no worries straight there
i will learn i just dont want to

i did the online hazzard test the other night and i got 28/30 which i thought was very good seeing as i have never ever been behind a wheel of a car dont know what the /where break peddle is so i am feeliing quite smug i have to say
hitchcock71 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.