View Poll Results: Which 4 Stroke Under $500?
Rover
0%
Victa
64.71%
Masport
0%
Other
29.41%
I've Picked Too Many Poll Options
5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Lawn Mowers

Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:58 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Lawn Mowers

I brought my mower with me when I moved here. It has lasted me about 10 years so far with little maintenance - which reminds me I need to change the oil... It wasn't an expensive brand but the only thing I was determined to get was a 4 stroke briggs and stratton engine. That brand of engine, made in the USA, has always had a fairly reliable reputation. Or! Save up a bit and buy a honda or husky.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The husband says Honda engine and Honda mower if poss. He says (and he knows) the others aren't worth it but if you can't go the Honda mower then at least get one with a Honda engine.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Thanks everyone, I'm not sure the Gardener's Choice is going to last to be honest, just on gut feeling. I may be turning down the bargain of a century though so will take a look.

Yup kim67 the Honda's look good but I can't justify the $, I'm not sure they are that much better than a $500 Victa. Ta for checking though

Yeh Badge, they seem to have a reputation for lasting. I saw a $50 trade-in deal (any condition) for a Masport so I might check that out.

IvanM ... I don't mind the mowing, the raking is a git.

That will be next week's purchase then ...
Stuffed up...of course, my engine is Briggs and Stratton, (as is the one on the rideon). And it is a Victa, not a Masport.

But I can't criticise Honda either.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 2:49 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Change of heart here. I just spent 3 hours trying to get my vi ta 2 stroke started.

That's the 3rd lawnmower I'm about to give up on in 10 years.

Perhaps it's time to consider the ROI on AstroTurf?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Change of heart here. I just spent 3 hours trying to get my vi ta 2 stroke started.

My wife took a while to get her motor going this morning...

I reckon the ring gear on my wife's Ford is on the way out...and this is the family car...it gets going sooner or later...
Old Oct 16th 2011, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure the Gardener's Choice is going to last to be honest, just on gut feeling. I may be turning down the bargain of a century though so will take a look.

Yup kim67 the Honda's look good but I can't justify the $, I'm not sure they are that much better than a $500 Victa. Ta for checking though

Yeh Badge, they seem to have a reputation for lasting. I saw a $50 trade-in deal (any condition) for a Masport so I might check that out.

IvanM ... I don't mind the mowing, the raking is a git.

That will be next week's purchase then ...
2 year warranty too.

The cheapie I bought at B&Q for £89 lasted 5+ years and was still working when I left last year.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 7:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hehehe! I have had the same thought many times

Our whipper snipper has never started. Can't say I miss it ...

Originally Posted by Alfresco
2 year warranty too.

The cheapie I bought at B&Q for £89 lasted 5+ years and was still working when I left last year.
I'll certainly take a look, we don't have big house yards so a cheapy should do it, maybe I'm just too rough on em
Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hehehe! I have had the same thought many times

Our whipper snipper has never started. Can't say I miss it ...
I hate whipper snippers. But the 4 stroke is a beauty and I get it out once every few months and it hums away.

4 stroke all the way. He he.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:00 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I hate whipper snippers. But the 4 stroke is a beauty and I get it out once every few months and it hums away.

4 stroke all the way. He he.
I'm thinking Victa Tornado (19in) but the $560 tag is $60 too much, going to have a drive around the local dealers and see if I can trade in some of my frankenmowers.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:57 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking Victa Tornado (19in) but the $560 tag is $60 too much, going to have a drive around the local dealers and see if I can trade in some of my frankenmowers.
Offer them $500 cash.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you or your wife (or a mate) in a Union? Get Union Shopper to find you the best price.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:16 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Burbage
Offer them $500 cash.
I did just that, we are now the proud parents of a Victa Tornado.

Originally Posted by Kim67
Are you or your wife (or a mate) in a Union? Get Union Shopper to find you the best price.
That would have been a good idea, the union fees are eye-watering and could be put to some use.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:51 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I took a look at Bunnings and eyed the Victa Hurricane ($450) but decided the Masport of the same size looked a better deal ($400 and it had a newer version of the same 158cc B&S-500 Engine)... [Is it really worth an extra $100 for that extra 1 inch DV?]

In the end however I chickened out and decided to go back to plan A: repair the old one....

I know I have spark....
I know I have compression....
so its all about the air/fuel mix.

When I spray "start ya bastard" into the air pipe - the damn thing fires up and burns it ok - but fails to draw more fuel through the carby.... Endless YouTube clips tell me this problem is 100% fixable EVERY SINGLE time and theres plenty of people who seem to be able to do a stripdown and rebuild of the carby in under 10 minutes... so how hard can it be?

I have succesfully removed, stripped and cleaned the carby - its all in little plasticy bits in a tin on the patio - now all I have to do is work out how to put it back together again and SURELY I will have revived the beast?!

....If all else fails then theres a probably functional mower available in Bunnings for a mere $400 and I can get $20-50 for mine as "need repair/spare parts" on eBay! ... I am NOT ready to give up yet!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:14 am
Mostly Harmless

I took a look at Bunnings and eyed the Victa Hurricane ($450) but decided the Masport of the same size looked a better deal ($400 and it had a newer version of the same 158cc B&S-500 Engine)... [Is it really worth an extra $100 for that extra 1 inch DV?]

In the end however I chickened out and decided to go back to plan A: repair the old one....

I know I have spark....
I know I have compression....
so its all about the air/fuel mix.

When I spray "start ya bastard" into the air pipe - the damn thing fires up and burns it ok - but fails to draw more fuel through the carby.... Endless YouTube clips tell me this problem is 100% fixable EVERY SINGLE time and theres plenty of people who seem to be able to do a stripdown and rebuild of the carby in under 10 minutes... so how hard can it be?

I have succesfully removed, stripped and cleaned the carby - its all in little plasticy bits in a tin on the patio - now all I have to do is work out how to put it back together again and SURELY I will have revived the beast?!

....If all else fails then theres a probably functional mower available in Bunnings for a mere $400 and I can get $20-50 for mine as "need repair/spare parts" on eBay! ... I am NOT ready to give up yet!
Keep going, I like someone who makes the most of existing materials

I've fiddled with the carbs on the MG, suffice to say I didn't make them run any better, I leave it to a man who can

It wasn't the extra inch that swung it soley (although ever inch is helpful ...) it was that coupled with a more powerful engine, 190cc and a slug more torque. Our place can get pretty thick in some places so for something on-budget it seem like a decent option.

Time will tell ...
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to tell you that Masters have a mower with a Honda engine for $498, but I won't bother now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.