Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Wikiposts

Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Originally Posted by paulry
A good post!

I think that under current conditions Australia is likely to see less "first world" new migrants because many of the bread and butter attractions such as cheaper properties, goods, services, etc no longer exist or are substantially deminished. At least for now, the era of "cashed up pom" new arrivals is over.
Don't worry there'll still be a fair few hitting aussie shores, every man and his dog here in Dubai is applying for Australia. Heaps of redundancies have happened and are still happening and it seems everyone wants to go to Aus. Brisbane seems particularly popular.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
A good post!

I think that under current conditions Australia is likely to see less "first world" new migrants because many of the bread and butter attractions such as cheaper properties, goods, services, etc no longer exist or are substantially deminished. At least for now, the era of "cashed up pom" new arrivals is over.
Would imagine this to be true. Australia can expect a far greater number of people immigrating from within the region and in time Brits to fall in number overall, to perhaps reflect this countries geo and political position in the world.
Something like Canada where Brits come in at something like tenth place on the immigration table.
I have a feeling that folk from a lot of our near neighbours are clearer in their own minds as to why they immigrate and notions like Oz being laid back os Is it boring are not the main questions that they will necessary be asking.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Would imagine this to be true. Australia can expect a far greater number of people immigrating from within the region and in time Brits to fall in number overall, to perhaps reflect this countries geo and political position in the world.
Something like Canada where Brits come in at something like tenth place on the immigration table.
I have a feeling that folk from a lot of our near neighbours are clearer in their own minds as to why they immigrate and notions like Oz being laid back os Is it boring are not the main questions that they will necessary be asking.
The people who should be migrating are people with GBP300-400+ (London for example) houses who want a very specific deal in Australia - AUS100+ incomes, who want to move to an Australian city where they can slot right in, or people who want to live on a beach and rural and couldn't get that mix in the UK.

I reckon settled middle-aged suburban Brits who are swapping one such life for another can expect to be hit the hardest.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 11th 2009 at 4:56 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Today I went to the Telstra shop (aargh) to pay my telephone bill. After I'd done it I asked the spikey-gell-haired-boy-with-spivvy-shoes to remove the international plan from my bill. He said he couldn't do it unless I provided my passport or driving licence as ID. WTF!

Tonight I went to the pub and as usual the waiter is so scared of pouring one drop of wine over the bloody line on the glass. This happens everywhere I go, restaurants I eat in regularly and pubs. I've never had a "drink on the house" as so often used to happen in the UK when you became a regular.
One pub in Mackay I'd never been in stood me a large glass of coke. Now she was a lovely looking twenty something and she said "I love your accent so stay here and talk to me all night and I'll give you drinks for free."

Why does this not happen when the wifes not there.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The people who should be migrating are people with GBP300-400+ (London for example) houses who want a very specific deal in Australia - AUS100+ incomes, who want to move to an Australian city where they can slot right in, or people who want to live on a beach and rural and couldn't get that mix in the UK.

I reckon settled middle-aged suburban Brits who are swapping one such life for another can expect to be hit the hardest.
True.Only thing is a number of well to very well off folk from my experience would perhaps tend to choose the United States over Australia for reasons often mentioned in these posts.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

True.Only thing is a number of well to very well off folk from my experience would perhaps tend to choose the United States over Australia for reasons often mentioned in these posts.
You're kidding, right? We (not exactly minted but comfortable) turned down a move there - it's full of religious nutters with guns.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
You're kidding, right? We (not exactly minted but comfortable) turned down a move there - it's full of religious nutters with guns.
I'm not convinced either - in my experience well to do people don't go to the US to migrate, but they may take up an offer of an employment opportunity - if that makes sense.

People that go to the States seem to have a love affair with fast food, the jargon, malls, often they seem to be very into IT, quite eccentric. There is a lot less cringe about it all. They really get into it, it seems, based on the very occasional foray into those forums...
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
Here we go again...some mindless anti-Americanism added to the mix.

Most of the expat Aussies and Brits I know in the USA are very happy. They sure don't seem to whinge as much as you lot in Australia do!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm not convinced either - in my experience well to do people don't go to the US to migrate, but they may take up an offer of an employment opportunity - if that makes sense.

People that go to the States seem to have a love affair with fast food, the jargon, malls, often they seem to be very into IT, quite eccentric. There is a lot less cringe about it all. They really get into it, it seems, based on the very occasional foray into those forums...

Home many "well to do" people do you know emigrate to Australia? The vast majority of Brits seem to be blue collar workers. Affluent people are usually happy enough where they are!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Devlin
Home many "well to do" people do you know emigrate to Australia? The vast majority of Brits seem to be blue collar workers. Affluent people are usually happy enough where they are!
It would be interesting to see actual figures for your quote:

abs.gov.au show Migrants occupations groups as:
41% Professionals
19% Technicians and Trades Workers
11% Managers
6% Clerical and Administrative Workers
2% Community and Personal Service Workers
1% Sales Workers

Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
True. If you have a fine life in the Uk .Aus is a disappointment. It's simply inferior.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:03 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
True. If you have a fine life in the Uk .Aus is a disappointment. It's simply inferior.
I can't help but agree.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:15 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help but disagee.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I can't help but disagee.
all very subjective don't you think
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:55 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
all very subjective don't you think
Exactly & precisely my point mate

No right, no wrong just different.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Sep 12th 2009 at 6:57 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.