Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Where are all the laid back ozzies? Everyone seems to be fixated by rules and regulations in this country.

Do you have any examples of laid backness so that I can be proved wrong?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Today I went to the Telstra shop (aargh) to pay my telephone bill. After I'd done it I asked the spikey-gell-haired-boy-with-spivvy-shoes to remove the international plan from my bill. He said he couldn't do it unless I provided my passport or driving licence as ID. WTF!

Tonight I went to the pub and as usual the waiter is so scared of pouring one drop of wine over the bloody line on the glass. This happens everywhere I go, restaurants I eat in regularly and pubs. I've never had a "drink on the house" as so often used to happen in the UK when you became a regular.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:20 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Where are all the laid back ozzies? Everyone seems to be fixated by rules and regulations in this country.

The Ozzie girl in my office is very laid back. ...In fact she'd fall off her chair if she was any more.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

when i told my colleagues at work that my daughter had been picked on at school which had led to her having her having her hair cut off at the back by a crowd of bullies i was told to tell her to "get over it" - thats their answer to everything it seems
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:45 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merleoberon
when i told my colleagues at work that my daughter had been picked on at school which had led to her having her having her hair cut off at the back by a crowd of bullies i was told to tell her to "get over it" - thats their answer to everything it seems
That's awful. Have you enrolled her on a Krav Maga course yet?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulry
That's awful. Have you enrolled her on a Krav Maga course yet?
thanks- that might be an idea! she is just one of those gentle creatures who are easy prey for rougher tougher kids. she's never really fitted in since day one but it wasnt a problem when they were little - it is now.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:21 pm
Banned

thanks- that might be an idea! she is just one of those gentle creatures who are easy prey for rougher tougher kids. she's never really fitted in since day one but it wasnt a problem when they were little - it is now.
I can't recommend it enough. I've seen it in action - it works a treat. Both my sons are gentle and easygoing lads but nobody tries to bully them a second time. I have Krav Maga to thank for that. I think it's quite big in Australia too.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, poor mite. Hope the sods get what's coming to them.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:44 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Today I went to the Telstra shop (aargh) to pay my telephone bill. After I'd done it I asked the spikey-gell-haired-boy-with-spivvy-shoes to remove the international plan from my bill. He said he couldn't do it unless I provided my passport or driving licence as ID. WTF!
You would prefer someone else can alter your telephone service by walking into a Telstra shop and just quoting your mobile number ? Doesn't seem too extreme to me.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Rules and regulations get on my nerves a bit too.. and the fines they issue are ridiculously huge so most people enforce them as they have little choice not to..

Despite this, where I live, everyone seems completely laid back most of the time.. friendliest bunch of people that I have ever had the pleasure to live amongst actually...

Em x

PS Really sorry to hear about your daughters encounter with these bullies.. that is awful.. and no, I don't think you should just get over it.. it is way too serious for that ((hugs))
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:46 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Don't ever move to Singapore.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

They are all out fishing, the unlaid back ones are at work.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Centurion
You would prefer someone else can alter your telephone service by walking into a Telstra shop and just quoting your mobile number ? Doesn't seem too extreme to me.
If you read my post I had just paid my Telstra bill!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live, and what you do for a crust.

I can ensure you the archetypal laid-back (lazy) Australian exists - and does well too.

Go and stay in an outback town, get your backpack on and go and see...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is a myth. Aussies love rules, regulations and procedures. There is also a lot of angst, nitpicking and bitching and whinging here. There are some laid back people but they are few and far between.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.