Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Wikiposts

Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:57 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laid back Ozzie - is it a myth?

Originally Posted by spilko
In the UK everyone at my company got 26 personal days plus 13 statutory holidays. I would guess that is as good as most places across Europe too.
I worked for a big nasty American software company in the UK. They allowed us to take up to 7 weeks annual leave + public holidays each year as part of a flexible benefits package.

The EU legislates a minimum of 20 days annual leave. I'm not sure if it is still the case but the UK had a special opt out which allowed it to include public holidays in that number - so for most people 12 annual leave + 8 public holidays was the legal minimum. Fairly certain the EU was going after that opt out though - not sure if it still exists.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
I am disappointed every time I go into a bar and they give me, what is known locally, as beer
It's sad but true... I now quite like Carlton !!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
I worked for a big nasty American software company in the UK. They allowed us to take up to 7 weeks annual leave + public holidays each year as part of a flexible benefits package.

The EU legislates a minimum of 20 days annual leave. I'm not sure if it is still the case but the UK had a special opt out which allowed it to include public holidays in that number - so for most people 12 annual leave + 8 public holidays was the legal minimum. Fairly certain the EU was going after that opt out though - not sure if it still exists.
I had 30 days a year in the UK.. plus public holidays. Moved to Oz, same company, now only get 20 days a year.... but if i stick it out for ten years I will get long service holidays.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I dare say it's as big a media invention as the British 'stiff upper lip'. Honestly, it's all a crock of shit - people are people. I've lived in the UK, the USA and Australia (natch) and you get the same kinds of people everywhere - the stressed, the bored, the relaxed ... etc etc.
On a theme..of people failing to meet national stereotypes..

Some British people wouldn't know a stiff upper lip if they knew it. Many spend all their time doing quite the reverse and crumbling in a heap on the floor when Mark and Sparks runs out of ready-meals.

Happy to ruminate about the Dunkirk spirit, talk about British invention, but won't necessarily hold it up themselves, or be in the running for a Nobel prize.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...329502555.html

Australians on average work 1855 hours a year, or 38.6 hours a week if you assume they work 48 weeks a year.

US workers are second, averaging 1835 hours a year,
followed by Japan (1821) and
New Zealand (1817).
Finland (1730) led the table in Western Europe,
followed by the much-maligned British workers, who put in 1708 hours a year - three hours a week less than Australians.

However, it does depend on what you read.... the above is the Australian Media take on it.

Let's look at a a British view:

http://www.cipd.co.uk/news/_articles...-in-europe.htm

05 September 2008
Full-time employees in the UK put in 41.4 hours per week, which is 1 hour and 24 minutes more than the EU average, according to the report published by the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions.

In 2002,
Average Annual work hours (source: OECD (2004), "OECD in Figures"
Australia 1,823.6 annual working hours per working person = 37.99 hrs per week over 48 weeks
UK 1,707.0 annual working hours per working person = 35.56 hrs per week over 48 weeks

The issue does get confusing, depending on what you read.
Thanks for those figures with regards to Australians being over worked.Difficult to argue in those circumstances it is so laid back,i would have thought.
But my main comment would be excess hours does not mean a better product in any shape or form. Quality being a rather rare commodity here and service often quite dismal.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Some British people wouldn't know a stiff upper lip if they knew it. Many spend all their time doing quite the reverse and crumbling in a heap on the floor when Mark and Sparks runs out of ready-meals.

Happy to ruminate about the Dunkirk spirit, talk about British invention, but won't necessarily hold it up themselves, or be in the running for a Nobel prize.
Yes, sadly I think much of that has died now out now since all the WW2 vets are getting scarcer.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

The more I hear about this "laid back Ozzie' bollocks the more I think that its a mindset and doesnt reflect work, finances or the economy at all. Sometimes the gullibility of Brits amazes me.

Its highway robbery with a visa instead of a revolver....or a musket if you will.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:36 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
The more I hear about this "laid back Ozzie' bollocks the more I think that its a mindset and doesnt reflect work, finances or the economy at all. Sometimes the gullibility of Brits amazes me.

Its highway robbery with a visa instead of a revolver....or a musket if you will.
I was told I could by a 4 bed mansion, with a swimming pool and tennis court, on Sydney Harbour for peanuts!!

Still haven't found one though.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
Yes, sadly I think much of that has died now out now since all the WW2 vets are getting scarcer.
I would prefer a younger man/woman to take care of my dog anyway...
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I was told I could by a 4 bed mansion, with a swimming pool and tennis court, on Sydney Harbour for peanuts!!

Dont worry mate, you will and youll only have to work 15 hours a week to pay for it - she'll be right!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:44 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar

A number of members of my wife's family, especially her father and grandfather, were quite happy to suggest that we would be able to buy a fairly enormous house without too much trouble at all in Australia.

Not true. Just actually, totally incorrect. I imagine buying a larger property easily would be more feasible in a more remote area but, for crying out loud, who actually wants to live in the middle of nowhere...in Australia?!

I mean, Australia feels like the middle of nowhere everywhere other than the heart of the cities, so I imagine living in the country some place would be comparable to living on the moon.

The utter conviction so many Aussies have that their country is this cheap, working man's paradise is plain bizarre, borderline insanity. Sure, the UK looks expensive to them due to the exchange rate when they go over there on holiday (though that has changed a little bit lately) but they completely forget that it is different when you live there and are earning pounds.

I wish people in Australia would shut up about this ''cheapness'' thing because it's getting more and more ridiculous with every year that goes by.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:48 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Too many Australians (and some expats) have failed to adjust themselves mentally to 2009.

They are still living in 1979. When Australia, probably, was quite cheap.

Wake up. Times have changed. There is no such thing as ''cheap'' anymore. No big plots of land in good locations going for ''peanuts'' where you can build a lovely big house for little more than ''peanuts''.

But Australians and many expats here love nothing better than to love Australia and so maintaining the attitude that Australia is this great, blue-collar heaven on earth is a big part of that. The fact that they have got it badly wrong and that they are working on statistics and facts and figures from thirty odd years ago doesn't even enter their heads.

Last edited by willamos; Sep 10th 2009 at 5:51 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by willamos
Too many Australians (and some expats) have failed to adjust themselves mentally to 2009.

Wake up. Times have changed. There is no such thing as ''cheap'' anymore. No big plots of land in good locations going for ''peanuts'' where you can build a lovely big house for little more than ''peanuts''.

But Australians and many expats here love nothing better than to love Australia and so maintaining the attitude that Australia is this great, blue-collar heaven on earth is a big part of that.

Australias politicians have been using the old 'battler' spin for a long time until KRudd, that is.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Australias politicians have been using the old 'battler' spin for a long time until KRudd, that is.
The ''battler'' thing is, in a backhanded, subconscious way, an admission that Australia is a rough, harsh place to live in many respects.

If it isn't, why the need to be a ''battler'' at all?!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willamos

But Australians and many expats here love nothing better than to love Australia and so maintaining the attitude that Australia is this great, blue-collar heaven on earth is a big part of that. The fact that they have got it badly wrong and that they are working on statistics and facts and figures from thirty odd years ago doesn't even enter their heads.
Turkmenistan is very cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.