Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about Aussies...do you feel the same?

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about Aussies...do you feel the same?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about Aussies...do you feel the sam

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Europe is bigger than Australia in both area and population.
Only if you count all the countries that have recently joined, and I was not talking about population.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about Aussies...do you feel the sam

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
Why shouldn't they be proud?

If it wasn't a better place to live than say the UK, why would so many of us spend so much to get there and get away from here?

Good for them I say for being proud of there homeland. Maybe if the British had been the same our country would be a better place to be and we wouldn't want to leave in our thousands, and not just for Australia.

I cant wait to get to Oz and see for myself why they are so proud.
Ditto to that post.

Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Only if you count all the countries that have recently joined, and I was not talking about population.
What's your point? Europe is still bigger than Australia?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When I was growing up I never considered Russia to be a part of Europe. I suppose I always just thought of West Europe as being Europe, as we couldn't go past that big wall that they had. So it 'seems' to me, that Europe has got bigger.
That's political Europe though as opposed to its 'physical' land area.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:09 pm
ABCDiamond

I think it is down to peoples perception of the size of Europe...

Places in Europe, that people rarely think of when we talk about Europe, include Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, etc.

Another map with Australia positioned to the bottom edge of Europe

However, facts do say that:
Europe is about 10,400,000 square kilometers
Australia is about 7,682,300 km2.
(The northernmost point of the European mainland is Cape Nordkinn, in Norway; the southernmost, Punta de Tarifa, in southern Spain near Gibraltar. From west to east the mainland ranges from Cabo da Roca, in Portugal, to the northeastern slopes of the Urals, in Russia)

Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

Places in Europe, that people rarely think of when we talk about Europe, include Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, etc.

http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/europeAus.jpg

(The northernmost point of the European mainland is Cape Nordkinn, in Norway; the southernmost, Punta de Tarifa, in southern Spain near Gibraltar. From west to east the mainland ranges from Cabo da Roca, in Portugal, to the northeastern slopes of the Urals, in Russia)

I agree. Many people think that Europe simply means the EU, which is doesn't.

I have seen that postcard before and can remember thinking where is the rest of Scandanavia? If it is not in Europe which continent is it in!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Ditto to that post.

I can understand people in far flung places who are contemplating a 'new life' in Oz being drawn to this refreshing outflowing of national pride

But I'm not convinced being born in a "pretty", sunny place with nice beaches and varied wildlife is something to be proud of per se.

At the same time, I'm not convinced being born in a "grim" place with bad weather is something to be ashamed of either.

I thought pride was something you experienced or demonstrated after an achievement of some kind?

I really struggle sometimes to think of what exactly Australia has *achieved* in it's short history and what it has contributed to the world. As a sports fan I can rightly understand Aussies being proud of their cricket team, but what else?

Or are Aussies always going to play the "what we've achieved per capita" card? i.e small man's syndrome.

People talk about the spirit of being Australian. I was brought up on tales of "getting a fair go", "caring, sharing communities", "being there for one another" etc etc. One only has to pick up a newspaper to see that these ideals or qualities are becoming increasingly rare.

I have nothing against Aussies celebrating Australia Day for the right reasons. But I think the term "pride" is misplaced and for many the day is just an excuse to get drunk and behave like bogan rednecks, which given the country's origins is not entirely surprising.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

http://www.users.on.net/~arachne/europeAus.jpg

That postcard also uses the Mercator projection which does not show area correctly. They should have used the Peters projection which would have been accurate.

You can't tell I am a Geographer can you!

Last edited by Notts_bloke; Jan 26th 2009 at 11:35 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My original point was that flying from Perth to Sydney is like flying from London to Moscow. Australia is a big country and there is lots to explore. People were condemning those that had never left Oz. I wanted to point out the rich variety of habitats that there are here. I intend to explore them. Make the most of what you have near to you- especially when it costs so much to leave the country!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
My original point was that flying from Perth to Sydney is like flying from London to Moscow. Australia is a big country and there is lots to explore. People were condemning those that had never left Oz. I wanted to point out the rich variety of habitats that there are here. I intend to explore them. Make the most of what you have near to you- especially when it costs so much to leave the country!
Fair enough. I was just pointing out that Europe is bigger than Australia.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:02 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tictac
I can understand people in far flung places who are contemplating a 'new life' in Oz being drawn to this refreshing outflowing of national pride

But I'm not convinced being born in a "pretty", sunny place with nice beaches and varied wildlife is something to be proud of per se.

At the same time, I'm not convinced being born in a "grim" place with bad weather is something to be ashamed of either.

I thought pride was something you experienced or demonstrated after an achievement of some kind?

I really struggle sometimes to think of what exactly Australia has *achieved* in it's short history and what it has contributed to the world. As a sports fan I can rightly understand Aussies being proud of their cricket team, but what else?

Or are Aussies always going to play the "what we've achieved per capita" card? i.e small man's syndrome.

People talk about the spirit of being Australian. I was brought up on tales of "getting a fair go", "caring, sharing communities", "being there for one another" etc etc. One only has to pick up a newspaper to see that these ideals or qualities are becoming increasingly rare.

I have nothing against Aussies celebrating Australia Day for the right reasons. But I think the term "pride" is misplaced and for many the day is just an excuse to get drunk and behave like bogan rednecks, which given the country's origins is not entirely surprising.
Australian Voting is cool and very popular in democracies around the world.

The fridge is quite popular too. A lot of western homes have fridges based on the method invented in Aus.

The per capita card is often trotted out by Brits as well so I guess they too suffer from the small man syndrome as well? Sounds like petty name calling to me.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Don't put all Australians in the same boat though. They are not all "drunk bogan rednecks". The same as just because some people decide to cause trouble at football matches, it doesn't mean all football fans are hooligans.

There is nothing wrong with showing pride. In fact, the people I find the most cringeworthy are the recently arrived British expats adorned head to toe in Australian flags, saying things like "Australia is great, Uk is crap blah blah blah". It is so embarrasing.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing wrong with showing pride. In fact, the people I find the most cringeworthy are the recently arrived British expats adorned head to toe in Australian flags, saying things like "Australia is great, Uk is crap blah blah blah". It is so embarrasing.
Quite. Especially those who do not live here.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:49 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz wannabe1
Why shouldn't they be proud?

If it wasn't a better place to live than say the UK, why would so many of us spend so much to get there and get away from here?

Good for them I say for being proud of there homeland. Maybe if the British had been the same our country would be a better place to be and we wouldn't want to leave in our thousands, and not just for Australia.

I cant wait to get to Oz and see for myself why they are so proud.
With all due respect, have you ever lived in Australia long enough to be able to formulate an informed opinion (i.e. recent living experience)?

The OP (whether right or wrong) probably has a better insight than yourself into the habits and behaviours of some Australians?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:49 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

the irony of this post is sublime...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.