Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about Aussies...do you feel the same?

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about Aussies...do you feel the same?

Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:39 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about Aussies...do you feel the sam

So has anyone spotted that it is actually a joke? It's actually got a hint of self-effacement in it but I guess it may be a little too subtle.

This one should keep youse happy

An Englishman wanted to become an Irishman, so he visited a doctor to find out how to go about this. "Well" said the doctor, "this is a very delicate operation and there is a lot that can go wrong. I will have to remove 50% of your brain". "That's OK" said the Englishman. "I've always wanted to be Irish and I'm prepared to take the risk".
The operation went ahead but the Englishman woke to find a look of horror on the face of the doctor. "I'm so terribly sorry!!" the doctor said. "Instead of removing half the brain, I've removed 80%". The patient replied, "No worries, mate!!"

Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:03 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts about Aussies...do you feel the sam

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm very proud of being half-English and half-Welsh (and not an Aussie bone in my body!). I can't honestly say how admitting to that ranks me alongside paedophiles. Sorry Hutch, but it has to be one of the most peculiar comparisons ever.
Think you got the wrong end of the stick there. Didn't say there was anything wrong with being proud of being English or Welsh or whatever- just that if you *are* English, and you act in a way that suggests you are proud of your country (fly a union jack in the front garden for instance) then you're looked on as being some jack-booted nationalist.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So has anyone spotted that it is actually a joke? It's actually got a hint of self-effacement in it but I guess it may be a little too subtle.

This one should keep youse happy

An Englishman wanted to become an Irishman, so he visited a doctor to find out how to go about this. "Well" said the doctor, "this is a very delicate operation and there is a lot that can go wrong. I will have to remove 50% of your brain". "That's OK" said the Englishman. "I've always wanted to be Irish and I'm prepared to take the risk".
The operation went ahead but the Englishman woke to find a look of horror on the face of the doctor. "I'm so terribly sorry!!" the doctor said. "Instead of removing half the brain, I've removed 80%". The patient replied, "No worries, mate!!"

Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Think you got the wrong end of the stick there. Didn't say there was anything wrong with being proud of being English or Welsh or whatever- just that if you *are* English, and you act in a way that suggests you are proud of your country (fly a union jack in the front garden for instance) then you're looked on as being some jack-booted nationalist.
Not my experience with the people I lived and worked with, but then I recognise not every bit of the UK is the same
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

There's a reason for that
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
You can get a flight to london return for $1100 now............
Who with? I haven't seen any flights that cheap.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Australia isn't all flat!! It has plenty of mountains and since it is so large, has a great variety of environments/habitats. Yes, there are flies at times, dust at times, heat at times etc. but there is also a wonderful diversity. As it is larger than Europe, condemning people who have never been outside Oz is a bit rich- especially as flying from Perth to Sydney is the equivalent of flying from London to Moscow. Australians can't help being in a country that is far, far away, and I find it refreshing not to have the eurocentric approach to everything. It wasn't so long ago that it was different states and territories and even now there are different state laws and regulations.
I emigrated 5 months ago, and I have met more friendly and helpful people in that time than in my 30 years in England. Everyone is different and is entitled to their own opinion about this, but IMHO it is good to have a spirit of national pride and want to explore your own country,as long as it doesn't swing over into jingoism.
p.s. I love the UK too, but never got to Scotland.
Europe is bigger than Australia in both area and population.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Europe is bigger than Australia in both area and population.
It's close...

But I think Europe is getting bigger these days

Population is no comparison.

Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:02 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

Less population is a VERY good thing.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's close...
http://www.britzinoz.com/images/map_...lia-europe.jpg

But I think Europe is getting bigger these days

Population is no comparison.
The EU is getting bigger. The continent has never changed in size.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
The EU is getting bigger. The continent has never changed in size.
When I was growing up I never considered Russia to be a part of Europe. I suppose I always just thought of West Europe as being Europe, as we couldn't go past that big wall that they had. So it 'seems' to me, that Europe has got bigger.

Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sprintman
Less population is a VERY good thing.
Matter of opinion. If its that good why has Australia spent the last 50 years or more desperately trying to increase its population?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Matter of opinion. If its that good why has Australia spent the last 50 years or more desperately trying to increase its population?
I think the 'running out of water' thing might have changed that policy. No point aiming for a 200 million population when we quite obviously only have enough water for 20 million.

JTL
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Just a personal viewpoint. I think anyone who feels the urge to drive around with an Australian flag out their window, or have a flag hanging out their front windows of their house or wears an Australian flag style t-shirt today....

Redneck...

complete and utter bludgers, 'we are proud to be Australians, now where's the nearest centrelink and why the f**ks it closed today, I need the money for me fags'

No really, I've studied them all today, frickin' rednecks.

I'm proud to be Australian. I don't feel the urge to to wave a flag or call my daughter Kylie or Dannie. I don't see the need.. be proud by all means but where I come from, flying a flag is just looking for a fight, and showing you've got an IQ below 100.

JTL
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I think the 'running out of water' thing might have changed that policy. No point aiming for a 200 million population when we quite obviously only have enough water for 20 million.

JTL
I read a biography of Menzies the other day and the original aim seems to have been about 20 million (for defense and economic purposes).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.