Kids and booze

Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:58 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids and booze

Originally Posted by Hebe
I agree that kids getting bladdered etc is all part of growing up.

However, drinking on your own at that age and a bottle of wine is not "normal" As I have matured I will pour myself a drink but I can't remember as a young adult doing the same. They normally go out and drink with their mates or have a few drinks at home with friends before hitting the town.

I do think it is an early sign that there may be a problem

It was one of the 'signs' that I was concerned about before all this happened.
I agree you're right parents should be looking for all the signs but don't assume that cos someone drinks alone, they've got a problem.

BTW - my understanding from the OP is that the problem is her son is drinking a whole bottle of wine to himself, not by himself.

I do agree though that as parents we need to look out for any signs of abnormal drinking behaviour but drinking a bottle of wine every now and again whether alone or with friends is nothing to be overly concerned about, unless there are signs there's a problem.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:07 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hebe
I agree that kids getting bladdered etc is all part of growing up.

However, drinking on your own at that age and a bottle of wine is not "normal" As I have matured I will pour myself a drink but I can't remember as a young adult doing the same. They normally go out and drink with their mates or have a few drinks at home with friends before hitting the town.

I do think it is an early sign that there may be a problem

It was one of the 'signs' that I was concerned about before all this happened.
That must be heartbreaking, seeing this young person so troubled. It sounds like he is very lucky, in having someone around like yourself who will not judge and who's only concern is to get him happy and healthy again.

Keep strong.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
That must be heartbreaking, seeing this young person so troubled. It sounds like he is very lucky, in having someone around like yourself who will not judge and who's only concern is to get him happy and healthy again.

Keep strong.
Thank you - it will be a long and bumpy road ahead but at least he now admits that there is a problem and that is the first stage to recovery.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I must admit that I drank staggering amounts in my late teens, early twenties... but I really don't remember sitting down and drinking on my own.

I do now.
I remember a love of Dry Martini in my late teens, family circumstances meant I would often down a bottle a night by myself while reading, revising, separating fighting siblings, finding off the next door neighbour who felt I was his plaything, generally dealing with a life that brought adult responsibilities far too early......
Lecturing did no good, I knew the reasons I was drinking but the people around me didn't want to know that they were the cause, they had no intention of changing even though they could see me spiralling downwards.

Not saying that the OP is the cause of her son's drinking, but rather than lecturing maybe try gently to find out why? whats his motivation? why does he feel the need/desire? Does it give him pleasure or just blot out reality?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:20 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I remember a love of Dry Martini in my late teens, family circumstances meant I would often down a bottle a night by myself while reading, revising, separating fighting siblings, finding off the next door neighbour who felt I was his plaything, generally dealing with a life that brought adult responsibilities far too early......
Lecturing did no good, I knew the reasons I was drinking but the people around me didn't want to know that they were the cause, they had no intention of changing even though they could see me spiralling downwards.

Not saying that the OP is the cause of her son's drinking, but rather than lecturing maybe try gently to find out why? whats his motivation? why does he feel the need/desire? Does it give him pleasure or just blot out reality?
Jeez Polly - hope you got that one sorted

you shoulda hit him with yer empty bottle
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:38 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Jeez Polly - hope you got that one sorted

you shoulda hit him with yer empty bottle
Its a memory that surfaces every so often for random reasons - i think I came out of it rather better than him as his wife and kids wanted to know why he came home from the Royal Wedding street party with a black eye and walking a little funny
Quite funny in a way, looking back 30 years on although its very sad that my parents didn't want to know - the slightest hint of trouble and the shutters came down - hence the bottle was a good friend.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 7:44 pm

Its a memory that surfaces every so often for random reasons - i think I came out of it rather better than him as his wife and kids wanted to know why he came home from the Royal Wedding street party with a black eye and walking a little funny
Quite funny in a way, looking back 30 years on although its very sad that my parents didn't want to know - the slightest hint of trouble and the shutters came down - hence the bottle was a good friend.
I hear you mate

Like you and Hebe said parents need to look out for the signs and be there for their kids.

As a grown up and some years later when the dust settled, did you ever raise it with your parents and ask why they didn't support you?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:04 pm
Home and Happy

I hear you mate

Like you and Hebe said parents need to look out for the signs and be there for their kids.

As a grown up and some years later when the dust settled, did you ever raise it with your parents and ask why they didn't support you?
I did mention it to my mum actually, a couple of years back, but there were bigger family issues around in 1981 and she just shrugged off everything that happened around that time as being "things we had to deal with as a family" - what she failed to realise was that her kids had things THEY had to deal with and that they needed support with, outside of the bigger "family" picture.
My sister was horrified - she said she'd always thought he was creepy but never realised quite how creepy Fortunately she was very different from me, had lots more support around her from outsiders and never slid down the slippery slopes that I managed to find!

Looking back on my late teens does make me very aware that that there is always a reason for kids going off the rails in whatever way; there may be no solution to it, depending on what the reason is; it may even be something that the kid can only deal with by finding their own "crutch" and not confronting directly until years later, it may even be a case that the kid is the one propping up the whole family (whether any of them realise/acknowledge it or not at the time). It does also make me very tolerant of others who lean on something/someone - we all have to get through our individual lives somehow, and no-one ever really knows what life is like in someone else's shoes, no matter how much you think you know that person.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:23 pm

I did mention it to my mum actually, a couple of years back, but there were bigger family issues around in 1981 and she just shrugged off everything that happened around that time as being "things we had to deal with as a family" - what she failed to realise was that her kids had things THEY had to deal with and that they needed support with, outside of the bigger "family" picture.
My sister was horrified - she said she'd always thought he was creepy but never realised quite how creepy Fortunately she was very different from me, had lots more support around her from outsiders and never slid down the slippery slopes that I managed to find!

Looking back on my late teens does make me very aware that that there is always a reason for kids going off the rails in whatever way; there may be no solution to it, depending on what the reason is; it may even be something that the kid can only deal with by finding their own "crutch" and not confronting directly until years later, it may even be a case that the kid is the one propping up the whole family (whether any of them realise/acknowledge it or not at the time). It does also make me very tolerant of others who lean on something/someone - we all have to get through our individual lives somehow, and no-one ever really knows what life is like in someone else's shoes, no matter how much you think you know that person.
That is very true mate. This post speaks volumes about why we should listen to our kids and look out for the signs.Today I have learned a lot more about you Polly and you are stronger than me that's for sure:sunglasses:
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:37 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

A late reply to the shouting at pigeons comment.

Here are two ads that appeared in Viz some years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Kids and booze-tramps-1.jpg   Kids and booze-tramps-2.jpg  
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:42 pm
Home and Happy

That is very true mate. This post speaks volumes about why we should listen to our kids and look out for the signs.Today I have learned a lot more about you Polly and you are stronger than me that's for sure:sunglasses:
Something I learnt at the age of 15 mate - the strength is there when you need it even if you don't realise it until many years later. Something makes you step up when you have no choice and something keeps you going.
I don't think my parents never realised they were leaning on me as much as they were; it was forced by circumstances. If I could only ever pass one message to all those parents out there its along the lines of "try not to let your children grow up too soon, but if they are forced to shoulder extra burdens just remember they are still children underneath"
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes

Never mind pigeons - I've got two turkeys out here pecking my step to bits!! Wanna come round and shout at them?!!

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes

I could do them jobs - where do I apply
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:44 pm

Something I learnt at the age of 15 mate - the strength is there when you need it even if you don't realise it until many years later. Something makes you step up when you have no choice and something keeps you going.
I don't think my parents never realised they were leaning on me as much as they were; it was forced by circumstances. If I could only ever pass one message to all those parents out there its along the lines of "try not to let your children grow up too soon, but if they are forced to shoulder extra burdens just remember they are still children underneath"
very true and very wise:sunglasses:
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:46 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind pigeons - I've got two turkeys out here pecking my step to bits!! Wanna come round and shout at them?!!
It's a long way from Victoria.

I could do them jobs - where do I apply
It's a long way to Victoria.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.