Kids and booze

Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:52 am
Banned

Whats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the roughWhats that smell... is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kids and booze

Originally Posted by sammax
Do any of you BE's have problems with your kids and booze (that you know of, that is)? My youngest son is 23 and thinks nothing of drinking a bottle of red wine to himself, despite my lecturing.

Can't say I've known many 23 year old blokes that drink red wine. Is he shouting at pigeons yet?

Shouldn't laugh I suppose but I know that nagging him won't help.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammax
Do any of you BE's have problems with your kids and booze (that you know of, that is)? My youngest son is 23 and thinks nothing of drinking a bottle of red wine to himself, despite my lecturing.
What were you doing when you were 23? I sunk a bottle of Teachers when I was 17. I thought nothing of it at the time, well until I was heaving in a ditch miles from anywhere later on of course. Seriously, we all go through it, some continue, some slow down, some stop completely because they become complete lightweights. He's 23, what you expect him to be doing?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I drink alone, why is that a worry?
Drinking alone is fine.But drinking alone while hiding in the wardrobe is a worry.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:15 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

nothing wrong with drinking a bottle of red wine, alone or otherwise.

Ok, there is 7 to 9 units of alcohol in a bottle of red wine. But the last time I looked, that's no different from a 6 pack of beer.. and we all know that beer is good for us.

In summary, I would say that kids, and adults, should drink in moderation.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:21 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whats that smell...
Can't say I've known many 23 year old blokes that drink red wine. Is he shouting at pigeons yet?

Right ho, you've got my attention 'shouting at pigeons'? Please explain

I agree, nagging won't 'help' btw ...
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:24 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What were you doing when you were 23? I sunk a bottle of Teachers when I was 17. I thought nothing of it at the time, well until I was heaving in a ditch miles from anywhere later on of course. Seriously, we all go through it, some continue, some slow down, some stop completely because they become complete lightweights. He's 23, what you expect him to be doing?
Indeed, at least he isn't taking an interest in the collected works of Andrew Lloyd Webber ...
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:24 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Right ho, you've got my attention 'shouting at pigeons'? Please explain
come on... who hasn't got shitfaced on red wine and then started abusing pigeons?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:26 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by asprilla
come on... who hasn't got shitfaced on red wine and then started abusing pigeons?
I have been drunk on red wine but it was all free and I didn't enjoy it.

Much
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:10 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the symptoms of Cancer is weight loss, but if you lose weight, that does not mean you have Cancer. The gist of the original remark was that drinking is not a problem, but if allied with behavioral traits, such as drinking alone, drinking repeatedly to excess etc then that could be a symptom of becoming an alcoholic. Of course there is nothing wrong with drinking alone, unless, perhaps, you become over defensive.

Funny isn't it, how it is perfectly acceptable to defend one recreational drug (alcohol), even justifying and laughing about the abuse of that drug, yet mention taking any other narcotic, no matter how small a dose, and suddenly that is very wrong. All drugs, including the simplest aspirin, when taken to excess will damage the body, or the mind, or both. Alcohol can wreck lives and families, even communities, but it is big business and we have all been brainwashed into thinking that even drinking to excess is just a giggle. It is almost cheaper to buy alcohol than water for gods sake.

As a drinker, smoker and occasional happy person, this is not preaching. We need to do whatever it takes to get through life, but please look at the level of alcohol abuse that is going on with very young people today, look at the social problems alcohol is causing. We are still not doing enough to stop young people from smoking, me included, but next time you have a drink, take a look at the bottle - can you see any health warnings? Why do you think that no other recreational drugs are freely available? Perhaps they think we will be too drunk to notice.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP the answer is yes. Step son same age and been drinking heavily for a period of time. This culminated in him driving drunk last week crashing his car (thank god not hurting anyone or himself) and fleeing the scene.

Alcohol is not the "better" or "safer" drug to take.

The young man is now under the Alcohol Rehabilitation Service and has attended his first AA meeting.

It now appear that what we saw him drink was only the tip of the iceberg.

Hopefully we can now deal with his drinking and grief issues and help him find himself a way forward in life that doesn't require drink to dull his pain and he achieves a full and happy life from now in.

This young man requires all the support we can give him regardless of his age and to his father he will always be his child.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:45 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
To the OP the answer is yes. Step son same age and been drinking heavily for a period of time. This culminated in him driving drunk last week crashing his car (thank god not hurting anyone or himself) and fleeing the scene.

Alcohol is not the "better" or "safer" drug to take.

The young man is now under the Alcohol Rehabilitation Service and has attended his first AA meeting.

It now appear that what we saw him drink was only the tip of the iceberg.

Hopefully we can now deal with his drinking and grief issues and help him find himself a way forward in life that doesn't require drink to dull his pain and he achieves a full and happy life from now in.

This young man requires all the support we can give him regardless of his age and to his father he will always be his child.
Glad to hear your step son is OK and no one was hurt:sunglasses:

Just to clarify though that what happend here was an exception. Most kids have drink, get drunk, throw up and feel crap. It's all part of growing up. Parents know when it's more than that cos they experience things like this that are out of the norm, just like you did.

Other than that drinking and getting blathered is part of growing up.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:46 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whats that smell...

My 20 year old son drinks red wine... I worry about him

(I mostly worry about his health, because that shiraz is mine, all mine and if he keeps glugging it I won't be responsible for my actions)
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
I'll second that, at 23 I was married and if my parents had tried to tell me about my drinking the would have been told to keep their beaks out!
I can beat that... by 23 I was divorced !!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Glad to hear your step son is OK and no one was hurt:sunglasses:

Just to clarify though that what happend here was an exception. Most kids have drink, get drunk, throw up and feel crap. It's all part of growing up. Parents know when it's more than that cos they experience things like this that are out of the norm, just like you did.

Other than that drinking and getting blathered is part of growing up.
I agree that kids getting bladdered etc is all part of growing up.

However, drinking on your own at that age and a bottle of wine is not "normal" As I have matured I will pour myself a drink but I can't remember as a young adult doing the same. They normally go out and drink with their mates or have a few drinks at home with friends before hitting the town.

I do think it is an early sign that there may be a problem

It was one of the 'signs' that I was concerned about before all this happened.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hebe
I agree that kids getting bladdered etc is all part of growing up.

However, drinking on your own at that age and a bottle of wine is not "normal" As I have matured I will pour myself a drink but I can't remember as a young adult doing the same. They normally go out and drink with their mates or have a few drinks at home with friends before hitting the town.

I do think it is an early sign that there may be a problem

It was one of the 'signs' that I was concerned about before all this happened.
I must admit that I drank staggering amounts in my late teens, early twenties... but I really don't remember sitting down and drinking on my own.

I do now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.