Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Wikiposts

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:29 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Good aren't they...
I think I might got a few of them, the leader of the opposition birthday is coming up...
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:45 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
There is the odd novelty British hotel that may have a fire burning on a 40 degree day but its all papier mache........
Most of the pubs in the Adelaide hills,have large fire places and no pokies, also the Barossa valley pubs have huge fire places, this generally due to these areas having been settled by germans, in the mid 1800s.....you can sit by the fire with a glass of Gluewien and a hot Knocwurst.........wundabar...mm
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Most of the pubs in the Adelaide hills,have large fire places and no pokies, also the Barossa valley pubs have huge fire places, this generally due to these areas having been settled by germans, in the mid 1800s.....you can sit by the fire with a glass of Gluewien and a hot Knocwurst.........wundabar...mm
Stirlings a nice little place. The weather is so crispy and fresh and a nice place to be. IMHO! Just nicely tucked away out of Adelaide.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twizzle
We know people who have underfloor heating & it's friggin expensive (theirs is around $1000pm ) .... largely because the houses are built for summer therefore poor insulation (specially so with the older homes) and all the heat escapes.
We had delicious underfloor heating until we foolishly sold our house in July. What were we thinking? Should have waited for summer.
Anyway I digress. Concrete slab with underfloor heating- kept at a moderate but constant 18deg, cost about 300bucks per quarter.

Now we live in a weatherboard, and have a Rinnai gas heater which does not blast out hot air, but is gentle and circulates gradually. Plumber husband researched it and found it was most efficient for our house.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus;7873269]Well it won't have improved any... the pokie machine rules all. There is still the odd pub dotted about, couple of half decent ones in Berry, not too far from me, but they are the exception.

Wierd, isn't it? I was sat next to an aussie couple coming back from Dubai and as soon as the pilot finished speaking and the TVs came back on they immediately started playing poker on theirs. They didn't speak to each other for 2.5 hours (perhaps they'd had a row?!). I got chatting to them after a while and they were really lovely. Takes all sorts, I guess.

Sorry to go off-topic.

Anyway, when we stayed in Melbourne we rented an apartment that had that bloody reverse-air thing. Our bed was right next to one so we were blasted in the face with warm air every morning. I could feel the moisture being drained from my face. Bloody awful.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:46 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

we have heat pumps in Tas
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
Do they have pubs like that in Oz?
Yeah they do,but usually country area's.Well in SA anyway,not sure about other states!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lorrielou;7873490]
Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well it won't have improved any... the pokie machine rules all. There is still the odd pub dotted about, couple of half decent ones in Berry, not too far from me, but they are the exception.

Wierd, isn't it? I was sat next to an aussie couple coming back from Dubai and as soon as the pilot finished speaking and the TVs came back on they immediately started playing poker on theirs. They didn't speak to each other for 2.5 hours (perhaps they'd had a row?!). I got chatting to them after a while and they were really lovely. Takes all sorts, I guess.

Sorry to go off-topic.

Anyway, when we stayed in Melbourne we rented an apartment that had that bloody reverse-air thing. Our bed was right next to one so we were blasted in the face with warm air every morning. I could feel the moisture being drained from my face. Bloody awful.
yeah know where you're coming from with the reverse cycle thing!On the pub subject though,when I left SA 10 years ago,I don't think any of the pubs had pokies!When we were back in May this year practically every pub we went into had those pokies machines!Personally I dislike them.I thought people went to the pub to be sociable?I thought it looked rather sad.One hotel we stayed in,we had a late breakfast (11am)and we happened to glance over at the pokie section which was next to the dining room.There must of been atleast half a dozen oldies,sat with their beer's pulling the one armed bandits?Pretty depressing if you ask me.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:28 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Flip me I don't know about the rest of you who are unfortunate enough to still be in the UK...but is it just me, or is it starting to get bl**dy cold already? The nights are fairly drawing in as usual for this time of year, but I'm sitting here in my (the OH's) big bulky hoody and my North Face duck feather filled slippers and I'm still freezing! BRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Still sunny, warm & dry in Kent! Bring it on!

TD
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by twizzle
We know people who have underfloor heating & it's friggin expensive (theirs is around $1000pm ) .... largely because the houses are built for summer therefore poor insulation (specially so with the older homes) and all the heat escapes. So to warm the place, it means keeping the heating on constantly else you lose the benefit of gradual build-up of heat. Doesn't help they have a large house, old-ish, open plan rooms, and you can feel gales blow through the house it's so poorly fitted.

Sort out the insulation - slowly they're understanding that double glazed windows have benefit, and better insulation for walls & ceilings. I think this is probably one of the most important things to check out when you buy a place, otherwise heating can cost a fortune.
We have in slab heating and it is fantastic. Our wood stove heats up a seperate watertank in the loft. The water is then pumped through pipework in the slab. We have slate floor in the family room & dining room and tiles in the bathroom, they get lovely and warm. We also use the wood stove top for cooking on and use the stove oven for roasts. Not bad economy when we are using only one heat source.

We just recently brought a 4 year old townhouse in Brisbane as an investment. Not one piece of insulation is in the loft. We are getting the loft insulated next week before the heat of summer arrives. The townhouse has two reverse cycle A/C units so that should be good for summer.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
SJ Oldfield on BE very kindly lent me her gas fire for the winter.

Its been brilliant and made a huge difference to us so we will look to buy one for next year.

Our gas bill has been $133 for this recent one, the fire has been on constantly so that is quite reasonable.

Dont underestimate how cold it gets here, you could hang your coats on your nipples here in the winter.
can you post pics please!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pomster
We had delicious underfloor heating until we foolishly sold our house in July. What were we thinking? Should have waited for summer.
Anyway I digress. Concrete slab with underfloor heating- kept at a moderate but constant 18deg, cost about 300bucks per quarter.
Lucky you, obviously your place was way better insulated/sealed than this other house... $300 p/qtr is very reasonable!
I couldn't believe their bill myself, till they showed it to me
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by POW148
We have in slab heating and it is fantastic. Our wood stove heats up a seperate watertank in the loft. The water is then pumped through pipework in the slab. We have slate floor in the family room & dining room and tiles in the bathroom, they get lovely and warm. We also use the wood stove top for cooking on and use the stove oven for roasts. Not bad economy when we are using only one heat source.
That sounds perfect & a really clever system...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dodge26
I thought so, I lived in Oz for a year and didn't find on decent pub. It was all pokie machines that happened to have a bar in it.
Western Australia may be best then, I think they still won't let Poker machines in the Pubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.