Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Perth can be bitter in winter. We had a great wood stove with an inbuilt fan. It was so powerful it would heat our Edwardian Freo house in about an hour, and then after that we would have to open the windows to let some cool air in

Those really cold nights are definitely the time to curl up to a hot water bottle, your other half, the dogs and the cats (and maybe the kids for good measure). Anything to stay warm. Perth houses seem to have been built with summer in mind!

Dad has a reverse-cycle air-conditioner that heats his house in winter - pretty handy!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I'm surprised it's that cold over in Perth - we had the heating on for two evenings this whole winter here in NSW. My Aussie cousins used to sleep outside on the verandah year-round when they grew up poor, and that wasn't uncommon. Do you get cold sea air from the south or something?
Not everywhere is NSW doesnt get cold. I lit my log fire once back in April. It is still going and I dont intend to let it go out until September/October. minus 8 is the coldest we have had it so far this winter.

Barney
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:29 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l use a log fire, it works out cheaper then electric heaters, l get the wood very cheap because l know a guy who works as a tree trimmer and he has a whole lot of wood he does'nt need. It gets colder over here in Victoria then Perth.

Last edited by mohogony; Aug 24th 2009 at 8:32 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:33 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by POW148
Not everywhere is NSW doesnt get cold. I lit my log fire once back in April. It is still going and I dont intend to let it go out until September/October. minus 8 is the coldest we have had it so far this winter.

Barney
Southern NSW would get very cold, especially in the highlands where it snows, but l guess northern NSW it would be warmer.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Can get bloody cold here in Brisbane as well.....especially in the mornings
Old Aug 24th 2009, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dodge26
Heard that the weather in Perth has been a little bit on the cold side this winter. was wondering as the homes generally don't have a central heating system. What do you use to heat the homes during the winter?
I burn dollar bills... or at least it feels that way. House is all electric so the only heating available is air-con. Hence my electric bill is $64 a week.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

if it gets so cold , silly question but why no heating then i know youve the wood burners and other means to heat up but you cant beat central heating or better still under floor heating ( coming from the plumber / heating installer )
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I turn on the gas fired ducted heating. Nice and toasty. Burns money at about the same rate as my old UK house but is on for less months of the year.

Sometimes I get the log burner going but only if I've got time to manage it (nobody else in the family seems able to keep it going )
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

We have a wood stove - DH scavenges so it hasnt cost us anything for about 3 years although purchased wood looks to be about the $150 - $175 a tonne here Our granny flat (r/c aircon) just cost $450 for 3 months
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:35 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

We just freeze down here in Adelaide

It does get cold here and theres no insulation etc - so its fleecy blankets and snuggling up, we're having reverse cycle ducted aircon/heating in our new house and i cant wait - having all the walls insulated too - to try and keep some of the heat in as its great whilst its on but once you turn it off the heat just escapes and leaves you chilly after 10 mins
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:48 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
We just freeze down here in Adelaide

It does get cold here and theres no insulation etc - so its fleecy blankets and snuggling up, we're having reverse cycle ducted aircon/heating in our new house and i cant wait - having all the walls insulated too - to try and keep some of the heat in as its great whilst its on but once you turn it off the heat just escapes and leaves you chilly after 10 mins
Thats what you get for living in seaford, with those Sou,westerlys blowing it would have to be the coldest part of Adelaide We live at Angle vale which is a little milder, but we have a large combustion stove/ oven.....which we have going from midday till early the next morning . Red gum is about $180 a tonne we also grow are own blue gum . ............mm
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
Heard that the weather in Perth has been a little bit on the cold side this winter. was wondering as the homes generally don't have a central heating system. What do you use to heat the homes during the winter?
It's actually not been as cold this winter as last. We have had some days down in the 1-2 degree range, but it's been a lot drier which has been nice.

Anyway...Heating our old house was a matter of small plug in heaters in each bedroom for an hour before bed and a larger one in the lounge. And I took up quilting in the past couple of years so we each have a nice warm quilt to snuggle under while in the living areas. In our new house we have reverse cycle air con. Yes, you can get under floor heating, but it's tres expensive!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:55 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
Not everywhere in NSW doesnt get cold
Yes, sorry - I meant to write Sydney, I don't know what came over me!

Aussies are, to make a generalisation, complete Jessies when it comes to the cold. 14c and people are walking around in puffer jackets!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yes, sorry - I meant to write Sydney, I don't know what came over me!

Aussies are, to make a generalisation, complete Jessies when it comes to the cold. 14c and people are walking around in puffer jackets!
Sydney has been cold this winter. My son was working there and said it was really cold, down to 9c. He got so fed up with the cold in Sydney, that he moved up north to work.

Last edited by formula; Aug 25th 2009 at 12:52 am.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Can I interest you in a Snuggie? Maroon, mint condition
Will I ever live it down that I refused the kind offer

Odd question really. We heat our house the same way we heated houses in the UK when we didn't have Central Heating. Woodburners, oil filled rads, more clothes etc etc etc. Hubby's 'home' didn't have central heating and that was up to at least 1988. Nothing here gets as cold as that bloody house did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.