Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
I get dressed in front of the gas oven, like I did as a kid in the 70's! happy days!

I agree. My last house had gas so we used to light one of the hobs and it would gently heat the room and sometimes we would wack a jumper and PJ'sin the oven to warm it up.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:39 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a wood burning fire..

On a totally different note, I was reading in the local sunshine coast paper here the other week in the letter pages, everyone complaining about the people who use woodburning fires.. about how it pollutes the air and that they smell..

This one lady wrote in complaining about her neighbours who have one on a lot during winter... she wrote something along the lines of " I know they are elderly and that they have health issues and that they can't move around much but I think they are being selfish as everyone has to smell the smoke"..

I nearly dropped my cuppa!! Oh.. so... old, infirm, limited mobility.. surely they SHOULDNT keep warm!

Aren't some people just wonderful!?!!!

Em x
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:40 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I dont care what any body says , you cant go past this.............................mm
Attached Thumbnails How do you heat aussie homes in winter?-pict0004.jpg  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
if it gets so cold , silly question but why no heating then i know youve the wood burners and other means to heat up but you cant beat central heating or better still under floor heating ( coming from the plumber / heating installer )
We know people who have underfloor heating & it's friggin expensive (theirs is around $1000pm ) .... largely because the houses are built for summer therefore poor insulation (specially so with the older homes) and all the heat escapes. So to warm the place, it means keeping the heating on constantly else you lose the benefit of gradual build-up of heat. Doesn't help they have a large house, old-ish, open plan rooms, and you can feel gales blow through the house it's so poorly fitted.

Sort out the insulation - slowly they're understanding that double glazed windows have benefit, and better insulation for walls & ceilings. I think this is probably one of the most important things to check out when you buy a place, otherwise heating can cost a fortune.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I dont care what any body says , you cant go past this.............................mm
The good old open fire.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:24 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

I beg to differ.......
Attached Thumbnails How do you heat aussie homes in winter?-snuggiegiveaway.jpg  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:42 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when pubs have open fires in the winter - something so nice about it when it is frosty outside.

God I could just sit in one of those pubs and have propery steak and kidney pie, chips and mushy peas and a pint of guinness.

But only for the winter though - so not to be greedy.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:44 am
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I love it when pubs have open fires in the winter - something so nice about it when it is frosty outside.

God I could just sit in one of those pubs and have propery steak and kidney pie, chips and mushy peas and a pint of guinness.

But only for the winter though - so not to be greedy.
Do they have pubs like that in Oz?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dodge26
There is the odd novelty British hotel that may have a fire burning on a 40 degree day but its all papier mache........
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peepster
I beg to differ.......
They are nothing compared to these... http://lazypatch.com.au/
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:16 am
Account Closed

For the most part, in NSW anyway, they don't even have pubs. Its all clubs filled with pokies.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:21 am
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
For the most part, in NSW anyway, they don't even have pubs. Its all clubs filled with pokies.
I thought so, I lived in Oz for a year and didn't find on decent pub. It was all pokie machines that happened to have a bar in it.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
They are nothing compared to these... http://lazypatch.com.au/
OMG!!! They are awful, the Michelin man comes to mind. I don't suppose they'd do much for the old libido either.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:25 am
Account Closed

I thought so, I lived in Oz for a year and didn't find on decent pub. It was all pokie machines that happened to have a bar in it.
Well it won't have improved any... the pokie machine rules all. There is still the odd pub dotted about, couple of half decent ones in Berry, not too far from me, but they are the exception.

This is my closest 'pub'. http://www.shellys.com.au/
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stm1971
OMG!!! They are awful, the Michelin man comes to mind. I don't suppose they'd do much for the old libido either.
Good aren't they...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.