Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Originally Posted by dodge26
Do they have pubs like that in Oz?
Originally Posted by mr mover
Most of the pubs in the Adelaide hills,have large fire places and no pokies, also the Barossa valley pubs have huge fire places, this generally due to these areas having been settled by germans, in the mid 1800s.....you can sit by the fire with a glass of Gluewien and a hot Knocwurst.........wundabar...mm
There are a surprisingly large number of country pubs with decent food and real fires, and the pokies limited to a machine in the corner of the public bar.
We have one in our village. Haven't frequented a large, RSL-style club since I lived and travelled in NSW. I know of one on Stud Rd, Melbourne. I actually quite liked getting a cheap feed in them when I was in NSW - some of the modern ones were quite cool.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Central heating barely exists in Australia, same for underfloor heating... the reason... because I can use my ducted air-con to keep the house cool in summer as well. Why install two systems, central heating AND aircon when one will do the job... admittedly nowhere near as well on the heating front.
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
We thought the reverse cycle had packed up a few weeks ago but had a look and the filters were black with filth, after a rinse it worked perfectly. I think you have to forget trying to heat the whole house and just focus on the rooms you actually use.
We were told our warranty would be invalidated if we didn't clean these filters and we had to call out the engineers. Lesson 1 - Clean them - or Lesson 2 - Clean them before the bloke arrives and look nonchalant.

Really... based on what?
I think he was saying that evaporated heating is cheaper than reverse cycle - which as far as I know is true. Everyone you meet will tell you reverse cycle is 'efficient' but my view is anything that heats something will cost.

We only have it (reverse cycle) as quick fix for the hottest weeks of the year and to heat the living room when our kids were babies. It doesn't get much use.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
I beg to differ.......
Oh stop going on about it. Ok, Ok, I'll have the bloody thing

If you can find me of course
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Heard that the weather in Perth has been a little bit on the cold side this winter. was wondering as the homes generally don't have a central heating system. What do you use to heat the homes during the winter?
Exactly same as we did in UK with a wood burner, brilliant
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

In Brisbane, as it is usually only cold at night in winter most people I know don't use much in the way of heating - just tend to deal with cold by rugging up at night time.

As reverse cycle a/c has become more popular the heating in that gets a run occassionally (about 5 times a year in our house) but in big open plan houses it just takes the edge off - softies will still be rugged up

I've noticed the imports who have married into the family who are used to central heating - from the uk and canada - feel the cold in the houses more than the rest of the family who grew up with it - coincidence maybe?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
You're proving my point a little there!
Have you only just moved to Sydney? When you get use to the 35c-40c+ summers, you will find the drop to 9c in Sydney's winter, VERY cold.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
SJ Oldfield on BE very kindly lent me her gas fire for the winter.

Its been brilliant and made a huge difference to us so we will look to buy one for next year.

Our gas bill has been $133 for this recent one, the fire has been on constantly so that is quite reasonable.

Dont underestimate how cold it gets here, you could hang your coats on your nipples here in the winter.
My mum and Aunty arrived last Tue from Scotland for a 3 week holiday and left 6 days later to return home as they said it was far too cold for them here
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Heard that the weather in Perth has been a little bit on the cold side this winter. was wondering as the homes generally don't have a central heating system. What do you use to heat the homes during the winter?

reverse cycle ducted airconditioning.

I always hope for a cloud cover that makes the winters warmer. Otherwise, sunny conditions, it gets pretty cold here, and that at 6-7am in th morning (mostly the coldest time of the day).

see here http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60900.shtml, temps are not too bad this morning but just have a look at one time it's the coldest.

Last edited by Evelin; Aug 27th 2009 at 11:08 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:28 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
My mum and Aunty arrived last Tue from Scotland for a 3 week holiday and left 6 days later to return home as they said it was far too cold for them here
were, s here...........mm
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:30 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
really, you're kidding right?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:31 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

We are starting to use the Snuggie Sutra now for insullation/
Old Aug 28th 2009, 11:17 am
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

I get the picture now, Perth gets cold in winter. What exactly do you do to dry your clothes after washing, as I don't beleive in using a dryer I thought leaving this country would solve all my drying issues.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 11:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I get the picture now, Perth gets cold in winter. What exactly do you do to dry your clothes after washing, as I don't beleive in using a dryer I thought leaving this country would solve all my drying issues.
You hang them outside on the Hills Hoist and watch the sun bleach the colour out of them.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:37 pm
ABCDiamond

You hang them outside on the Hills Hoist and watch the sun bleach the colour out of them.
No need to worry about that if you use this attachment for the Hills Hoist

Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:39 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No need to worry about that if you use this attachment for the Hills Hoist
http://www.tiptheplanet.com/images/t...re_Dryline.jpg
As long as the neighbours don't see that contraption.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:46 pm
ABCDiamond

As long as the neighbours don't see that contraption.
Not a problem if the neighbours are in their garden in one of these

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.