Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Wikiposts

How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you heat aussie homes in winter?

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
if it gets so cold , silly question but why no heating then i know youve the wood burners and other means to heat up but you cant beat central heating or better still under floor heating ( coming from the plumber / heating installer )
Central heating barely exists in Australia, same for underfloor heating... the reason... because I can use my ducted air-con to keep the house cool in summer as well. Why install two systems, central heating AND aircon when one will do the job... admittedly nowhere near as well on the heating front.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:15 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Nothing here gets as cold as that bloody house did
You obviously have never felt my feet in the middle of winter.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You obviously have never felt my feet in the middle of winter.
Strangely, no, I haven't. But I have slept in that house and you'd be better off in a bikini in an Igloo
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

You can actually buy radiator systems in Australia (similar to UK). Ive seen it on Aus internet websites.

Im seriously considering this if we build. I know reverse aircon is good but if you have asthma/allergies its not so healthy for you.

Gems
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gems
You can actually buy radiator systems in Australia (similar to UK). Ive seen it on Aus internet websites.

Gems
I'm sure you can, but they are very uncommon and finding someone to install/maintain/parts could be a problem as well... just checked my local yellow pages and there are page after page of aircon installers, but I couldn't find a one who did central heating... and I'm not even in one of the hotter parts of Oz.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:48 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Sydney has been cold this winter...really cold, down to 9c
You're proving my point a little there!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:25 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
You're proving my point a little there!
9c may sound warm when you're living in a climate where it goes down below 0, but when you've lived here a while you aclimatise. More than 40 years in Canada and I've never been so cold as a Perth winter.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

The house we live in at the moment is very icy cold during the day, even in the summer it doesnt really warm up until noon. Once it gets dark we use the reverse cycle air con to heat the lounge and dining and use oil filled radiators to heat the bedrooms up and close the doors. We thought the reverse cycle had packed up a few weeks ago but had a look and the filters were black with filth, after a rinse it worked perfectly. I think you have to forget trying to heat the whole house and just focus on the rooms you actually use.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Yes, sorry - I meant to write Sydney, I don't know what came over me!

Aussies are, to make a generalisation, complete Jessies when it comes to the cold. 14c and people are walking around in puffer jackets!
A drop in temp from 34 to 14 is a drop of 20 degrees,
it feels the same as going down from 20 to zero.

It often isn't the actually temperature that matters, it is the change that is noticed.

Anyway, for heating, we use heating to warm the house up, same as we used to in the UK. Although not as often

Most people that I know, use the reverse cycle air con.
Some people install central heating, some use electric heaters, and others don't use anything, and ... for them.... it gets cold...

Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, sorry - I meant to write Sydney, I don't know what came over me!

Aussies are, to make a generalisation, complete Jessies when it comes to the cold. 14c and people are walking around in puffer jackets!
In canberra some people still go jogging in shorts when it is 1 or 2 degrees... down to -7 they may wear jogging tights, light gloves and a long sleeve top.

Central heating is not unusual in Canberra ... some of the central heating units can get aircon attachments so they both heat and cool on the one system..
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Central heating barely exists in Australia, same for underfloor heating... the reason... because I can use my ducted air-con to keep the house cool in summer as well. Why install two systems, central heating AND aircon when one will do the job... admittedly nowhere near as well on the heating front.
After freezing through our first winter here we installed ducted evaporative cooling and separate gas ducted central heating when we built our house. Works very well and much cheaper to run that ducted reverse cycle.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by copa
Central heating is not unusual in Canberra ... some of the central heating units can get aircon attachments so they both heat and cool on the one system..
It may not be unusual in Canberra... but Canberra isn't your average Australian city.. it gets more frost, a lot more, than my old home town of Manchester.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hoveactually
After freezing through our first winter here we installed ducted evaporative cooling and separate gas ducted central heating when we built our house. Works very well and much cheaper to run that ducted reverse cycle.
Really... based on what?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I get dressed in front of the gas oven, like I did as a kid in the 70's! happy days!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:34 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

How do you heat up Aussie homes in winter?
Start a bush fire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.