Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How did you meet the love of your life?

How did you meet the love of your life?

Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

itsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How did you meet the love of your life?

Originally Posted by Sam
Met mine at work

Originally Posted by medwaymark
We met at work.......same place as Sam lol.....
Just proves how boring insurance work is... had to find other things to do at work
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's older brother was dating my neice. Christmas evening 1990 my husband came by my neice's house to give his brother a ride home and I was there. A week later a bunch of us went out for new year's eve and he came along. That night as we were getting ready to leave the bar he asked if I could give him a lift home since I wasn't drinking. I said sure and when I asked where he lived he said "I meant your home, not mine". I thought it was clever so let him sleep on my living room floor - I was moving into a new apartment on 1 January, so had no furniture in the place. A couple of days later he showed up and asked if I needed help unpacking my stuff. 4 months later I told him he would either have to pay rent or go home. He started paying 1/2 the rent. 18 years later he's still around.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:24 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Online - he was a widower and I was a divorcee. Had loads of dates before him and in fact was going to give up but a friend insisted that I meet him as she said he sounded perfect for me. Called him up and said that I would meet him after work so that if we didn't like each other then we wouldn't waste the whole evening!

He walked in and I thought "perfect'. He had a strong, confident walk and voice. Well one drink turned into another which turned in to dinner and the rest is history - he asked me to marry him after 10 days (and knowing him like I now do that is just not him) and we married after 1 year.

There have been hard times as we moved to Australia 6 months after getting married and I gave up my career but we have pulled through it as a team and things are now fabulous.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

While I was still in uniform the government sent me to Mozambique in 2000 to help clear the landmines. Arrived just in time to get caught up in the flooding.

16 Jul 00 in apartment 8A in a block on Rua de Kassuende, just off Rua Julius Nyere in downtown Maputo; we were having a party. At approximately 2000h the most beautiful woman walked through the door with a girlfriend of a friend.

She could not speak English, and I had no Portuguese, I followed her around, we took a photo of her wearing my slouch hat....I was a goner.

16 Jul 02 my wife to be and her 3 children, arrived in cold old Melbourne, their first time away from the tropics, and their first time out of Africa. We formed a family with my two kids, we married 27 Sep 02. Everyday since that meeting in Maputo 2000 has been about us.

It has not been easy, with work sending me at various times to Bosnia, Cambodia, East Timor, and Afghanistan but, we live for each other and know we can get through whatever comes in front of us.

I never really knew what love really was, until I met her.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JR230898
While I was still in uniform the government sent me to Mozambique in 2000 to help clear the landmines. Arrived just in time to get caught up in the flooding.

16 Jul 00 in apartment 8A in a block on Rua de Kassuende, just off Rua Julius Nyere in downtown Maputo; we were having a party. At approximately 2000h the most beautiful woman walked through the door with a girlfriend of a friend.

She could not speak English, and I had no Portuguese, I followed her around, we took a photo of her wearing my slouch hat....I was a goner.

16 Jul 02 my wife to be and her 3 children, arrived in cold old Melbourne, their first time away from the tropics, and their first time out of Africa. We formed a family with my two kids, we married 27 Sep 02. Everyday since that meeting in Maputo 2000 has been about us.

It has not been easy, with work sending me at various times to Bosnia, Cambodia, East Timor, and Afghanistan but, we live for each other and know we can get through whatever comes in front of us.

That's probably one of the nicest things I've seen written on here.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

I was a barmaid working in my dad's pub - he was a drunk customer! I had fancied him for a while (even when he was legless - must be love!)

He asked me out to a gig and 5 years on we're married with a little boy.

Not exactly Romeo and Juliet but it works for us
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's probably one of the nicest things I've seen written on here.
Thanks.

Last edited by JR230898; Jan 5th 2009 at 10:50 am.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

debi_wayne is an unknown quantity at this point

He is a scouser and I am originally from UK, met at an action cricket event I had organised whilst living in South Africa. Heard him talk with distinctive accent and before even seen him had to chirp 'oh god, not a scouser' and he replied something like 'what are you then, a manc bitch' and that was it really. 11 years and 2 kids later still going strong (and arguing as viciously)
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

kiran m is an unknown quantity at this point

Met mine on a blind date in INDIA
He is adorable, handsome, very intelligent & makes me laugh !
He lets me have lie in bed every morning, while he gets both our girls ready for school, does their breakfast( cooked most mornings), hair & creams & then drops them to school before he goes to work.
He likes to have his drinks @ home with me , while watching football rather than go out with his mates.
Also he likes to do Sunday lunch..
I'm lucky , very very lucky... to have him as my husband. Married for 12 yrs , 2 kids & i'm so in love ...
Kiry
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

i met my hubby 7 years ago in an aussie bar in manchester, i pinched his bum (not knowing he could have arrested me for sexual assault! )

anyway we stayed friends for a year and got together 6 years ago, been married for 4 years this year!!

Michelle
Old Jan 5th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by familyof4
i met my hubby 7 years ago in an aussie bar in manchester, i pinched his bum (not knowing he could have arrested me for sexual assault! )

anyway we stayed friends for a year and got together 6 years ago, been married for 4 years this year!!

Michelle
Went from the UK to Melbourne with work and a woman due to join me 5 months later. After 4 months I called it off over the phone (yes, it's bad and yes, it cost a fortune) and then got more friendly with the CFO of the advertising agency who's offices we shared in St Kilda Road. More than friendly it became and she, an Australian, and I got together. And I got cheaper rent for my company into the bargain as she gave up negotiating with me.

We then moved in 2002, together, back to England when she got offered a job with my company and they wanted me back in the UK, had three kids together and are now embarking on the next adventure as we move to Melbourne next week - lock stock and barrel (and this time we are having to pay for the first time!!!, whereas the company has in the past) and off we go again.

Meeting across a desk was hardly romantic. Having three kids and a top life past present and future - not romantic but bloody brilliant...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

On a working holiday to Aus while I was still at uni in UK. He walked into a meeting I was having in a country Victoria town and a little voice in my head said "that is the man you are going to marry" (yeah right! my very logical self said). Left that town the next day and thanks to one of my work colleagues, he was invited to my leaving do when I left to go travelling around Australia. He sent me a telegram to my final destination saying how nice it was to have met me, I sent him a postcard from Singapore saying ditto and we wrote to each other for 3 years (in the days of L1 a minute phone calls and before the internet). During that time he came to UK for 2 weeks before going to live in PNG, I went to PNG for 3 weeks over Christmas and we got engaged. We got married in UK having spent just about 6 weeks in each others' company and went immediately to live in PNG. We celebrated 35 years of marriage last July. I guess we are poster children for long distance holiday romances
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

He was my bike mechanic

He worked at the same place as my sister & did all the work on my bike for me when I first got it. I use to drop in to see my sis a lot (I worked as a Saturday girl at the same dealership as a teenager) & always chatted to the workshop guys. We both went to a Christmas party & chatted for quite a while & then the following spring I had a sit on his bike at a track day. We went on a few ride outs together & would text & chat on msn (I was still married to my ex at the time). He invited me down to Chelsea Bridge & then Stockley Park one Friday evening but said that he'd be happier if I went on the back of his bike rather than me riding mine through London & it all kind of went from there.

He swore blind he'd never get married or have kids & nearly 8 years later we've got 2 kids, been married nearly 2 years & have our visas ready to move to Oz next year

Alison x
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
Met mine at work

We left respective partners for each other and despite every one saying it was rebound etc

18 years (19 this year) we are still together....been through some really shit stuff and times....still here, still together....

must have been ..... meant to be (pass the sick bucket some one please)

Some things are fated to happen - sounds like you two were :-)

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
Met her on a company weekend away in Tunisia- she was with her hubby who had won the trip for his sales performance, and I was 6 years her junior and single (and very green) at the time.

Absolutely love at first sight, red haired beauty. We didn't get hitched but were close to it over the following 8 months or so- we lived 150 miles apart and family issues prevented it and we lost contact.
Last April I did a spot of googling and found her again as she has an unusually spelt Christian name, and got in touch, she replied. We have since met for a day's chinwag, got on famously, and will be doing so again soon- we now live 155 miles apart but IM every day several times.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned, we have a lot to catch up on as until December we hadn't seen eachother for 35 years, when we were in our 20s. Now she isn't red haired, and I have less hair. And we are still the love of eachothers lives. Complications? You bet.
Good luck with that - ships that passed in the night can sometimes float back together

Originally Posted by northernbird
Met my husband on a bus, I was drunk and I tripped whilst getting on and grabbed his ankle to break my fall. 22 years on and he still picking me up when I am pissed
LOL - trust you - BTW how did the Operation go?

Originally Posted by JR230898

That made me feel all tingly inside - she is a very lucky person and so are you. True love is a rare commodity

Originally Posted by quoll
On a working holiday to Aus while I was still at uni in UK. He walked into a meeting I was having in a country Victoria town and a little voice in my head said "that is the man you are going to marry" (yeah right! my very logical self said). Left that town the next day and thanks to one of my work colleagues, he was invited to my leaving do when I left to go travelling around Australia. He sent me a telegram to my final destination saying how nice it was to have met me, I sent him a postcard from Singapore saying ditto and we wrote to each other for 3 years (in the days of L1 a minute phone calls and before the internet). During that time he came to UK for 2 weeks before going to live in PNG, I went to PNG for 3 weeks over Christmas and we got engaged. We got married in UK having spent just about 6 weeks in each others' company and went immediately to live in PNG. We celebrated 35 years of marriage last July. I guess we are poster children for long distance holiday romances
Nice one Quoll
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:22 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

we met one night in a nightclub - me and my mates had gone to see strippers, and my other half was there too (but wasnt one of the strippers )

twas 13 years ago ... about 3 months before i was due to get back on a plane to aus for good ! have to say there have been times when i wish id stuck to my original plan ... ... but one day we will get there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.